Build poll Summer 2022

which one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When in doubt, please assume I'm joking. I will NEVER intentionally insult people I respect as much as I respect everyone here. And I DESPISE cheaters!
Okay coool. 😎
I act silly quite often in real life when I know people can hear the tone of my voice. In order to have the same effect online, I have to go to extra effort and either spell out my true meaning, or use over-the-top language or emoticons.😱😭:cry:

I LOVE EMOTICONS!!!!
:love:💕👨‍❤️‍👨:ROFLMAO::geek:
(they're in the smiley face icon in the toolbar when you're typing a message in this forum. 🤓)

I don't know why, but I almost never think about emoticons/emojiis. I use them occasionally, but they're usually an afterthought. I think it's another case of "old dog, new tricks." I think my grandkids could live on nothing more than emojiis & text. They might not need food, water, or... voices. And I'm sure I don't hit the "like" button often enough.

That video in your link is great. But I still can't visualize how torque is being controlled without causing roll and/or sideways flight with both rotors at identical RPM. OK, mixers... but which ones, how? How do you stop the roll while controlling yaw? Or vice-versa. It almost HAS to be using lift vs drag somehow, but I just can't see it. And does RF support mixing well enough to do it? I know that mixers can be combined, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how to do THAT.

I don't know why, but I almost never think about emoticons/emojiis. I use them occasionally, but they're usually an afterthought. I think it's another case of "old dog, new tricks." I think my grandkids could live on nothing more than emojiis & text. They might not need food, water, or... voices. And I'm sure I don't hit the "like" button often enough.

That video in your link is great. But I still can't visualize how torque is being controlled without causing roll and/or sideways flight with both rotors at identical RPM. OK, mixers... but which ones, how? How do you stop the roll while controlling yaw? Or vice-versa. It almost HAS to be using lift vs drag somehow, but I just can't see it. And does RF support mixing well enough to do it? I know that mixers can be combined, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how to do THAT.
You and I are both eager for legoman's thoughts, huh!

Lots of off-topic stuff here. I'm on other MB's that frown on it & bitch about stuff like this because it's against the rules. But I think it's important that we learn about each other. They may have A specific sub-forum for personal stuff ilke this, but it's frowned on elsewhere. And they prohibit political/religious discourse - which is probably a good idea.

If we have a tie I will tie break and pick one. I knew the ka-50 would do well being the second most unique and has pew pew but it is a foreign design. The flettner would yaw left applying nose up to the left rotor and nose down to the right. I would need to double check the rotor rotation I would assume that the retreating blades would have a collective bias. But it is old enough I am not sure how much would be known. There are a few modern intermesh helicopters. See kaman k-max. How will I heep them from smacking each other at speed? Two rotors on the same heli mechanics. They can't spin different speeds. The ch-47 I posted on the swap does this.

If we have a tie I will tie break and pick one.
I actually figured that. And a lot of my comments were tongue-in-cheek. If you do select the one I want, I'd appreciate more detail of the WHY as you develop it - mostly to satisfy my curiosity, not because I ever expect to USE the knowledge. I'm curious about EVERYTHING whether it's useful to me or not. And I'm frequently surprised when THAT tidbit of information that I picked up 20 or 50 years ago seems to apply in a situation that doesn't seem to be related at first glance. I pretty much NEVER try to memorize stuff. Understanding WHY things work usually means I can work out the details that I have trouble memorizing. It works for me... and drove my teachers NUTS! Just HOW important was the date September 20, 1519 to the world? I had to use Google to find the exact date, but I've known what happened that day and WHY it's important for at least 60 years.

Last edited:
that's what's in the Chickasaw.
Not to be argumentative, but will you be able to SEE that in the model? I assume it will SOUND right, but I like seeing the details, too.
Well, maybe I AM being argumentative... but it's intended to be in good fun. Gotta keep it interesting. We still gotta wait a couple days for the final results.

but will you be able to SEE that in the model?
Maybe we will be able to see it. 🤔legoman shared this in another thread a few days ago:

I'd never seen it naked. The Wikipedia article does say it, but doesn't show it. So I didn't pick up on it. And I didn't even think about it until I read @Kmot's post. And your comment that it has one gave me a little incentive to stick in some more ammunition for my attempted voter manipulation. :D

How will you show it in the model? And what's with the prop? Basically a cooling fan? This model is getting interestinger & interestinger with your every post. I REALLY want to see you model this thing! Come on @Kmot! How about helping to at least tie the vote with the Chickasaw? They both have radials.

Last edited:
observations:
  • it looks like there's a gearbox that links the rotation of each of the rotors together.
  • it looks like maybe the rudder pedals have linkages that must manipulate the gear ratio of that gearbox to affect yaw.
  • it looks like the swash plates are linked together too.
  • those aren't swash plates at all! 😲 it looks like they're more like rotor-aimers! 🤔🤔🤔🤔 so different!

it looks like maybe the rudder pedals have linkages that must manipulate the gear ratio of that gearbox to affect yaw.
But... they have to run at the same rpm to intersect properly/safely. The only way I can think of to have differential torque would be independent pitch. How can they independently affect torque without inducing roll or sideways flight because of the differential lift while the differential drag applies torque? That's got me baffled. Then again, that's a BIG rudder. Maybe the only way to control yaw is in forward/backward flight. HhhMmmmm. Maybe that explains the prop! Back cyclic + forward prop thrust = hover. It's NOT rotor torque controlling yaw - it's airflow over the rudder. It took me a long time to figure that out. And I doubt that I could have seen it without that obscene nude photo. I didn't even know that the prop existed.

And your observation that the "rotor aimer" controls the orientation of both rotors as a unit helped me figure it out. I think that between us, we've figured out how to control this thing. And I STILL want to see it work!

Last edited:
But... they have to run at the same rpm to intersect properly/safely. The only way I can think of to have differential torque would be independent pitch. How can they independently affect torque without inducing roll or sideways flight because of the differential lift while the differential drag applies torque? That's got me baffled. Then again, that's a BIG rudder. Maybe the only way to control yaw is in forward/backward flight. HhhMmmmm. Maybe that explains the prop! Back cyclic + forward prop thrust = hover. It's NOT rotor torque controlling yaw - it's airflow over the rudder. It took me a long time to figure that out. And I doubt that I could have seen it without that obscene nude photo. I didn't even know that the prop existed.
thank you for setting me straight, Bill! you're so right. I didn't think about the differential in speed. I wasn't thinking at all obviously.🤔🤔

also, that prop wash hypothesis of yours certainly sounds valid! There is, after all, more than one way to yaw a helicopter. 😊

Back