Cannot install Expansion Packs

"Why did you need to change the directory where you wanted them installed? That should not be necessary. Exactly what did it say before you changed it? And did you receive any error messages prior to that?........."

I changed it because the software told me to, I followed your programmers error code instructions. I had a KEError XXXXXX that basically told me to manually find the directory. Which I did and then it installed, but when it was done gave me another error that said it was unable to run the launcher after it was done.

It did this for expansion packs 4-8, but this did NOT happen on the mega packs. They found the proper directory by themselves. They still had the launcher error though.

With that said, I did this just now to help you....
Loaded the expansion disc 6.
Hit auto run when it ask me what I want to do with this disc (using windows 8).
Now the proper directory is already populated in the "Installation Directory" entry.
Hit "Install" from the menu.
Let it install, and it seemed to do what it is supposed to.

So, it will not repeat the KEError now. It seems to know the proper directory on it's own now.

Like I said though, it seems to be working fine. Just missing some content.
If the content comes back after I complete the challenges, I am fine with that. I just want to know it wasn't gone for good or something wrong that was keeping it from appearing.

It would be nice if challenges unlocked something I didn't/shouldn't already have though......that is the main thing that made me spend so much time on this. I was verifying every plane and location since I noticed some were missing.

Thanks for following up. Based on all of the info available now, I am 100% confident that you suffered from scenario #3 described in this post.

I think anybody here would have done exactly what you did in response to the error messages you were receiving. The steps you took make perfect sense. Unfortunately, they just make the problem worse in this case. Scenario #3 from that list is the most insidious one because instead of an apparent dead end that would cause you to look around for help, the error message it displays actually steers you down the wrong path.

I'd love to change that, but I can't. The behavior and error message is built into products that shipped years ago. That post I linked is the best we can do, but obviously many people won't see it.

Now that we know what happened here, I'll remind tech support about the issue so they will be extra prepared to recognize it in the new version.

Re: unlocking content, I can appreciate where you're coming from. We're doing a cool thing for anyone who doesn't already own all the EPs/MPs. In contrast, we're less likely to prevent brand new, never-been-released content from being immediately available. But for users in your position, it's not ideal. As you said, at least it's all still in there, one way or another. And considering those packs were released for previous versions of RealFlight, not RF7, we think that's still pretty good.

I assure you that serial numbers are still required.

Yes and no.

If the serials for the Expansion Packs were entered for a prior version RF7 seems to pick them up just fine and they do NOT need to be re-entered.

I merely copied the EP files over to the RF7 data folder after running RF7 the first time ( I DID of course have to input the RF7 serials ), and the EP's were then all present... with NO serial number entry required.

With RF 6.x I had to re-enter the serials when RF6.x was launched the first time after the files were copied over from RF5.

The EP serial numbers only need to be entered once (though uninstalling can later remove them). So if you already have them installed for 6.5, for example, you won't need to reenter them for RF7.

That doesn't change the fact that those serial numbers are required to be present in order for the EP content to be available in RF7. If they aren't present, then you will definitely be prompted to enter them. The EPs/MPs don't just work without them now.

What I was trying to say is that you may or may not be required to enter the serial numbers, based on the above, but they are always required.

Back