Common Fixes To RealFlight Product

swanley007

Hello All.

I have not seen a post like this yet, so I figured I would go ahead an do it. I would like to post a few of the most common fixes for issues with RealFlight.

Setting DEP Correctly: (Cures most installer not running issues)
Installer 2 MFC Application not working Error that sometimes occurs during the installation of RealFlight.

1. Click the Windows Start Button

2. Click on Control Panel

3. Click on the System Icon

4. Click on Advanced System Settings on the left pane under Tasks

5. Click on the Advanced Tab.

6. In the Performance Section, Click on the Settings button

7. Click on the Data Execution Prevention Tab.

8. Click to put the radio button next to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only"

9. Click on Apply and then OK

10. Close out all open windows

11. Restart the Computer

12. Insert your RealFlight installation disk and install RealFlight

Granting Administration Privileges to RealFlight:
Here are instructions for RealFlight G5.

RealFLight G5 is fully supported for use with Windows Vista and Windows 7. You will need to ensure you have full administrative access for running RealFlight 5 under Vista or Windows 7.

Here are the instructions for changing the permission levels under Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1) Place your mouse pointer over the RealFlight G5 Launcher icon on your DeskTop.

2) Click your RIGHT mouse button one time.

3) On the drop down menu that appears, LEFT click on Properties.

4) A Window will open with several tabs across the top. Left click on the 'Compatibility' tab.

5) At the bottom of the Compatibility window there will be an option that says "Run this program as an Administrator". Click the box next to this to make sure there IS a checkmark there.

6) Click on Apply at the bottom of the page.

7) Press 'OK' at the bottom of the page to close the window.

8) Now, click on the round Windows symbol at the bottom left of the DeskTop. On the List that appears, click on All Programs, then Click on the RealFlight G5 entry. When you click on that, two options will appear below it.

9) Right click on the option that says RealFlight G.5 Launcher and click on the Properties option. Repeat the steps #4 through #7 above to ensure the program is running in Administrative mode.

10) Right click on the option that says RealFlight G5 and click on the Properties option. Repeat the steps #4 through #7 above to ensure the program is running in Administrative mode.

11) Restart your computer.

12) Run RealFlight G5 form the RealFlight G5 Launcher icon on the DeskTop.

Installation Is Corrupt, or Doesn't Finish

1) Ensure that all security software is temporarily disabled during the install/update process. In addition, you can explicitly allow RealFlight in the security software (most commonly seen as Radio Control)

Removing a Bad Installation:
If you have a bad/corrupt install you will need to manually uninstall RealFlight folders.

1) Delete the folders:
C:\Program Files\RealFlightG5 (C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlightG5 for 64-bit)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\KnifeEdge (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\KnifeEdge for 64-bit)​

Ensuring There is No Compatibility Modes Set:
1) Place your mouse pointer over the RealFlight G5 Launcher icon on your DeskTop.

2) Click your RIGHT mouse button one time.

3) On the drop down menu that appears, LEFT click on Properties.

4) A Window will open with several tabs across the top. Left click on the 'Compatibility' tab.

5) In the Compatibility window there will be multiple options. Ensure that nothing is checked, except the one that says "Run this program as an Administrator". Click the box next to this to make sure there IS a checkmark there and nothing else.

6) Click on Apply at the bottom of the page.

7) Press 'OK' at the bottom of the page to close the window.

8) Now, click on the round Windows symbol at the bottom left of the DeskTop. On the List that appears, click on All Programs, then Click on the RealFlight G5 entry. When you click on that, two options will appear below it.

9) Right click on the option that says RealFlight G.5 Launcher and click on the Properties option. Repeat the steps #4 through #7 above to ensure the program is running in Administrative mode.

10) Right click on the option that says RealFlight G5 and click on the Properties option. Repeat the steps #4 through #7 above to ensure the program is running in Administrative mode.

11) Restart your computer.

12) Run RealFlight G5 form the RealFlight G5 Launcher icon on the DeskTop.

Sound Choppy or Missing After Update:

In recent updates the functionality for surround sound was added. This is great for those who would like to add the realism of surround sound (THANKS KNIFE EDGE!!).

One side effect of this added ability applies to those whom are using a surround sound capable card without the speakers required for surround sound. These individuals may hear distorted and/or missing ("choppy") sound. Rest assured that this is a very simple fix though. Most likely your audio control panel (Microsoft and/or the Manufacturer Provided) is set for surround sound. If you do not have the required hardware ("speakers") the simulation will be trying to send audio (through the audio controller) to channels that do not exist. This manifests as sound anomalies after the update. To fix this, simply enter your audio control panel and ensure that the surround sound and/or speaker configuration matches what you actually have.

Planes All White or Other Video Issues After Update:
This is usually due to the video card being slightly older and the video card drivers being out of date. Most people see this issue when running Windows XP. Please be aware that you can download the latest drivers at no charge from your computer manufacturer's support page and/or the video card manufacturer's website. The links provided below are to the two largest manufacturers of video cards:

NVIDIA
http://www.nvidia.com

ATI
http://www.amd.com

Controller Calibration (In Windows and RealFlight)

Windows 7
1) Open the start menu (Click the circle with the Windows Logo in the lower left of the screen)
2) Select Control Panel
3) In the upper right part of the Control Panel window, ensure "View By:" is set to Small icons
4) Select Devices and Printers
5) The Interlink Elite (Or USB Input Device for the Plus) should be listed with a game controller icon
5) Right Click on the icon for the specific controller and select "Game controller settings"
6) In the Game Controllers window left click one time on the controller you want to select it
7) Select Properties
8) In the Properties window, select the Settings tab at the top
9) Select Calibrate
10) Follow the wizard instructions to successfully calibrate the controller in windows

Windows Vista
1) Open the start menu (Click the circle with the Windows Logo in the lower left of the screen)
2) Select Control Panel
3) In the upper left part of the Control Panel window, ensure "Classic View" is selected
4) Select Game Controllers
5) In the Game Controllers window left click one time on the controller you want to select it
6) Select Properties
7) In the Properties window, select the Settings tab at the top
8) Select Calibrate
9) Follow the wizard instructions to successfully calibrate the controller in windows

Windows XP
1) Open the start menu (Click the Start Button in the lower left of the screen)
2) Select Control Panel
3) In the upper left part of the Control Panel window, select Switch to Classic View (if it is there)
4) Select Game Controllers
5) In the Game Controllers window left click one time on the controller you want to select it
6) Select Properties
7) In the Properties window, select the Settings tab at the top
8) Select Calibrate
9) Follow the wizard instructions to successfully calibrate the controller in windows

RealFlight
1) Run RealFlight (get an aircraft on the runway ready for flight)
2) Sect Controller from the top menu
3) Select Controller Calibration from the drop down menu
4) Follow the wizard instructions to successfully calibrate the controller in RealFlight

Registration Password Issues
Please either call or email Great Planes Technical Support at:
217-398-8970 (select Option 1 for Software Support)
OR
rfsupport@greatplanes.com

**Please be aware that Technical Support will need to validate your copy of RealFlight using the Software Serial Number (back of the disk case) and your registration information on file

**If emailing, please use the subject "REG PASSWORD ISSUES" and include in the email the following:
Registered Full Name
Registered Address
Software Serial Number (On the disc case with the "-G3-"/"-G4-"/"-G5-" in the middle)

Registration/License Transfer
If you are selling and/or purchasing a copy of RealFlight from a 3rd party vender or individual, you will need to transfer the license prior to registering the product to receive technical support and updates.

Please either call or email Great Planes Technical Support at:
217-398-8970 (select Option 1 for Software Support)
OR
rfsupport@greatplanes.com

**Note there are only two ways to transfer the license of a valid RealFlight copy. One is for the registered owner to call/email Technical Support with the following information and request to release or delete the registration:

If emailing, please use the subject "UNREGISTER COPY OF REALFLIGHT" and include in the email the following:
Registered Full Name
Registered Address
Software Serial Number (On the disc case with the "-G3-"/"-G4-"/"-G5-" in the middle)

**The second way is for the new owner to email us a copy of the receipt of the transaction (can't be handwritten) and must clearly show the seller and buyer. Also, please use the subject line "UNREGISTER COPY OF REALFLIGHT" and include the copy of the receipt and Software Serial Number (On the disc case with the "-G3-"/"-G4-"/"-G5-" in the middle).

Last edited:
Bootcamp Success! OH MY! THANK YOU!

I did everything on your list... these selections had not been made on my Bootcamp.

This taught me (sorry I did not know) how to right click in Bootcamp... place two fingers on the track pad and click the mouse...

It showed me how to locate the properties and check the particulars.

I went to Control Panel (don't select with the icons - use the words) and selected "Hardware and Sound" and then "Display" and then on the words "Connect to an external display" then "Advanced settings."

The advanced settings "Adapter" showed that I had a very basic ATI product... so I went to ATI and located downloads for "video card" on the sidebar and got the best I could.

I also put in my RealFlight disk and located the XTreme 9c redistributable (and downloaded that.

I rebooted (with my finger on the ALT key so as to stay in my Bootcamp).

Low and behold, after two weeks of trying phone calls and awaiting responses from KnifeEdge forum... my video display was all tightened up and holding my breath started RealFlight (through the launcher) and WOW! YEAH! YAY!

Thank you so much swanley007 for taking the time to be so very specific in your instructions. I learned so much more about my computer and Bootcamp and downloading.

Now I just have to learn to fly. I had a tough time getting my husband to believe that I had no idea what pitch, roll/bank, and yaw were. This is becoming fun now. :rolleyes:

where's my post gone????

i did a post yesterday on my difficulties in installing G5 in Vista business and LO BEHOLD..today my post has been removed...hey what is happening..??

Memory Error When Starting G5

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with Pentium 4 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, Internal Video 64MB.

No problem loading the G5 software, and registering it. When beginning the simulator I get a "Out of MEMORY" message and then the program quits.

Is there an internal setting to be changed? If so, does anyone have instructions?

-or-

Do I need a new Video Card? If so, what is compatible with G5?

Thanks for any help.

-Jon Rider

System requirements are available at realflight.com, and are also printed on the box for the software. There are many compatible cards, which will depend on your available slot, and your budget. Take you computer model name to the local store in your area, and show the kid in the video card department what you have, and what you need (the RF requirements). He'll help you.

Need Recomendation For P C I Video Card [not P C I -E]

Thanks for the response Jeff.

I was looking for a list of video cards that would be recommended.

The G5 Manual says: "For a list of the video cards that have been tested by our staff, please visit: www.gpsoftware.com"

The "Knowledge Base" was completely useless so I have moved on to the "Discussion Board". Not so easy finding this “LIST" so I posted the question hoping someone would know where it is or have some useful info.

Still looking for the list. Anyone know where it is?

Thanks.

Jon Rider

This is the only list I've I've seen for video cards here. It is so old, it's completely irrelevant now. http://www.knifeedge.com/rfvc_compatibility.php

Get a card with 3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory Pixel Shader 3.0 support and you'll be fine. The kid working at the computer store will be of more use than the chart.

One drawback with granting administration privileges to RF (at least in Windows 7). My MX Revolution mouse becomes just a regular mouse. Extra buttons and add on features are very much limited and have to revert to the keyboard. Document flip is a no go. Not sure why but must assume an incompatability with the SetPoint software?

jlaurin4st said:
Thanks for the response Jeff.

I was looking for a list of video cards that would be recommended.

The G5 Manual says: "For a list of the video cards that have been tested by our staff, please visit: www.gpsoftware.com"

The "Knowledge Base" was completely useless so I have moved on to the "Discussion Board". Not so easy finding this “LIST" so I posted the question hoping someone would know where it is or have some useful info.

Still looking for the list. Anyone know where it is?

Thanks.

Jon Rider
--------------------------
Jon,

I found this on the Knifeedge.com site. Keep in mind that G 4.5 and G 5 have the same optimum requirments.

"Q. WHAT GRAPHICS CARDS DO YOU RECOMMEND?
A. Meeting the minimum requirement is not likely to result in a satisfactory experience--RealFlight will run, but at low quality and low frame rates. If your computer has an AGP slot for graphics cards, we recommend the ATI Radeon HD 3850 or NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS. If your computer has a PCI-e slot for graphics cards, we recommend the ATI Radeon HD 4850 or NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT. All of these graphics cards are available for less than $200. There are many other graphics cards available for less money than these; here at Knife Edge we use the GeForce 8800 GT, which is available for about $120."

After I shopped on line for some of these, I have found that some brands have received better reviews than others (even though the cards have the same "name", such as GeForce 8800 GT. Hmmm.

I'm also shopping for a new computer. From what I've read on-line, I will need to buy one with a large enough power supply (450w?) to power the 3d gaming video card. I think.

I am getting a error code 2 when i try to launch 5.5 does anyone know the fix?

Error while unpacking program, code 2. Please report to author.

Last edited:
Back