Compatibility issue with older CPUs

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
We have just discovered a compatibility issue between G5 and older CPU models. It manifests as a crash in setup.exe (not setup2.exe/Installer2) as soon as the G5 disk is inserted into the drive. Note that it appears similar to the DEP-related issue where Installer2 crashes immediately after inserting the G5 disk, but it is a completely different problem.

We are working on a fix. In the meantime there is no workaround except installing on a different computer.

The following CPUs are affected:
Intel Pentium III or older
AMD Athlon (650 MHz – 1400 MHz)
AMD Athlon XP (1500+ – 3200+)
AMD Duron (600 MHz – 1800 MHz)
AMD Sempron (2000+ – 3300+)
AMD Athlon MP (1000 MHz – 3000+)
AMD Geode NX (667 MHz – 2200 MHz)

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ User

I didn't get the BSOD, but I got the send error report window. After clicking on the setup 2 folder and running setup2.exe instead, I received "Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version File "NLVSCAN2.dll", error 126." Not sure if this additional info helps or not, but nevertheless, I'm anxiously awaiting a patch for the older CPUs.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ User

I just want to report that I tried the suggestion from tnorton12000 and it did not resolve the issue, but thanks anyways. The problem persists with my AMD Athlon XP 3000+.

Request weekly update for this problem

I encountered this problem earlier this week. Until this problem is corrected, I'd like an update once per week.

Thanks in advance,
KEC

Ryan Douglas said:
We are working on a fix. In the meantime there is no workaround except installing on a different computer.

The following CPUs are affected:
Intel Pentium III or older
AMD Athlon (650 MHz – 1400 MHz)
AMD Athlon XP (1500+ – 3200+)
AMD Duron (600 MHz – 1800 MHz)
AMD Sempron (2000+ – 3300+)
AMD Athlon MP (1000 MHz – 3000+)
AMD Geode NX (667 MHz – 2200 MHz)

We have fixed this problem in the latest version, 5.00.027. Once new G5 disks are manufactured that contain this version (or a subsequent one), you will be able to contact RealFlight Technical Support and receive a new disk that will work for you.

Note that due to the nature of this problem, it is impossible to fix it via online update. A new disk is the only possible solution.

A new disk is only required if you're experiencing the exact problem described in my original post, however. Other problems can be fixed by an online update.

G5 setup

I'm also having this problem and would like to be notified when the problem is corrected Thanks Robert McCoy

Last edited:
badfish said:
Just don't like rude people. I only took up for myself with a hateful person.

Huh?
The answer to your question is right above your last post, #10............

Robert Mc Coy said:
I'm also having this problem and would like to be notified when the problem is corrected Thanks Robert McCoy
Nobody is going to notify you when it's fixed. Call tech support to arrange to receive new discs, as stated in post #7

I just called on this and the discs aren't currently available. The rep at GP said that they're trying to get the discs pressed as quickly as possible but that for now they don't have them available. He suggested trying to call back between 7 and 10 days to check again for availability.

Mr. Helpful

js3862 said:
I just called on this and the discs aren't currently available. The rep at GP said that they're trying to get the discs pressed as quickly as possible but that for now they don't have them available. He suggested trying to call back between 7 and 10 days to check again for availability.

Mr. Helpful

That's great to hear. I called them also once I figured out what to do and have to say that those guys at KE Software are great. That they are there to take care of us..
Thanks for the response.. :)

Suggestion for Tech Support...

I would simple suggest that they put the updated software on their server for download since to activate you have to have a valid serial number anyway. That way, no waiting!!

Another suggestion would be to simple burn a disk and mail it to those that contact tech support concerning this issue so that those that have already purchased the new upgrade (like me) can get going ASAP!

Just my 2 cents!

BTW: I do really enjoy the software and these folks make great stuff - I just want to enjoy it before next year!

:)

whizkidtn said:
That way, no waiting!!

so that those that have already purchased the new upgrade (like me) can get going ASAP!

Just my 2 cents!

I just want to enjoy it before next year!

:)
Or, you could build a computer specifically to run RF! You'd be running it tonight! It'd run RF much better, anyway! My last 3 computers I built with the current version of RF in mind.

Just my 2 cents!

jeffpn said:
Or, you could build a computer specifically to run RF! You'd be running it tonight! It'd run RF much better, anyway! My last 3 computers I built with the current version of RF in mind.

Just my 2 cents!

Tis' true but I don't have the cash at the moment - what to give me some!! :)

A fix had been announced, and will be available, but remember, you did buy a square peg, but you have the old round hole. Most of us have the new square hole. The round peg is coming, be patient!

Last edited:
Back