Compatibility issue with older CPUs

jeffpn said:
A fix had been announced, and will be available, but remember, you did buy a square peg, but you have the old round hole. Most of us have the new square hole. The round peg is coming, be patient!

I'm sorry, but are we still talking about realflight or should I cover my kid's eyes? :eek: :D

Who is putting a square what in someone's round errm what? :eek:

I too have contacted customer support several times to try to get a copy of the .027 replacement disk. Each time I called it was not yet available. That's fine, they can't give me what they don't have. But, they tell me to call back in 7-10 days. Which I have done, several times.. Just a suggestion for customer support. take our information on the first call, and when the disk is available, just ship it out to us. My 2 cents.

I called again today, the guy I spoke with said they're expecting to have copies available on the 15th.

SCOTT SALA said:
Just a suggestion for customer support. take our information on the first call, and when the disk is available, just ship it out to us.
I don't know why they wouldn't do that. Makes sense to me.

jeffpn said:
I don't know why they wouldn't do that. Makes sense to me.

Top three reasons why they wouldn't take your name and shipping information on the first call and just send you the disc:

1. It makes sense
2. It makes them responsible to follow up
3. They're bored and would rather deal with inbound calls asking about the fixed install disc

You folks that don't have the previous RF should tell the Techs at GP you don't. They sent me a G4.5 to use till the new version is ready to be mailed out. :cool:

g5

i knew it was going to be a big mistake when i upgraded to g5.....too many bugs they didnt fix before they released it.....in a hurry to make massive sales for christmas i guess? im very unimpressed with the whole scenario. :mad: so....i have a nice shiny tree ornament that cost me $80.00. waiting..........................

What do you mean, Ed? G5 works very well on my system. What bugs are you referring to that you imply it's worthless?

wont even install..........dont you read the forums?........how many amd processors are out there that this is going to cause problems with? shoulda been tested before release.........my guess is 50% of them will have the issue!!! i run g4.5 without any issues......why now?

edmoor said:
wont even install..........dont you read the forums?........how many amd processors are out there that this is going to cause problems with? shoulda been tested before release.........my guess is 50% of them will have the issue!!! i run g4.5 without any issues......why now?

It will only fail to install on fairly antiquated systems which really are below the minimum spec.

But that said KE issued a fix for this issue a few weeks ago.

If you're having a problem give them a call. They will send you the disk with the fixed installer.

Personally, I would prefer that RF be written with current hardware in mind. When I got G2 many years ago, I had a feeling it would not run on my then-current computer. I tried a new video card, but that idea went up in smoke. Literally. So I built a new computer, designed to make G2 run as well as possible, considering my budget. I'm sorry G5 does not run on your system, but through reading the forums, it's really not that popular of a problem. The solution is coming. Unlike when I bought G2, I had to comply with the software. Your fix will cost you nothing but time.

reqiurements

i read the box before i opened it......on requirements......i didnt see any problems.....they dont go into FULL detail on requirements do they? :mad: what good is the requirements then on the box? im not saying anymore.....i may get banned from here............

edmoor, if you read back through this entire thread, you'll get a lot more information about the problem and the solution for the problem. In particular, you should read this post and this post.

At this point, Great Planes has received an updated version from us containing the fix, which means there is nothing more we can do. From what other users have posted above you after contacting tech support, it sounds like the disks aren't quite ready to send out to customers, but they will be soon.

Only a small percentage of users will be affected by this bug, which is why nobody detected it until after the product shipped. Of course, if you're one of the unlucky ones, it doesn't matter if it affects 1% or 100% of the other customers. We regret the inconvenience. All we can do is fix the problem now that it is a known issue, and we have done that. Your inability to use G5 is only temporary.

new release

anyone get a new release of the bad g5 disc yet?.......i havent......its friday.....still no word..........

Call them again and tell them you want to leave your name and shipping address if you haven't already done so.

Other than that you're waiting like the rest of us.

I have the .027 version and an AMD Athelon processor and I'm still getting the error when the CD is inserted.

I too just received the updated .027 disk form tech support. Using a Pentium 3 processor and I still have the Blue screen problem when starting the install.......

F Y I
I was finaly able to install the .027 G5 update by restarting my computer in Safe Mode. After the program installed, I restarted the computer again in normal mode, and G5 is now working.... Yes.

Angry customer so they check compatabity..NOT

Just got my gift bummer I have an AMD 2700+ and AMD 2400 neither work so for now my G5 realflight will collect dust hope they are enjoying their holiday. I spent hours on this until I figured out it was an AMD incompatibility issue then I came here and confirmed my finding.

Unfortunately if they can't fix the running of setup.exe I am not very confidant that they can deal with video comparability issues with the CPU's. I don't disagree with a previous post that its better to move forward and forget older systems as it may lead to better products but this should be an upfront an PUBLISHED information for Two reasons (an like the other poster I own G2) 1) I would not have purchased the product for now obviously not great for the company sales 2) Had I known I am sure there is a version of realflight I can run that has much better gravity driven physics than G2 and would have looked to find and buy that until such time as G5 is fixed.

I feel for now they should at least make a past earlier rev available to those of us with this issue!!!! They should also be upfront about what the delay is being caused by see my concern above. If G4.5 works they should give us that at least !!!!!!!!

Hope you all have a great holiday everyone here is always helpful I hope that includes those that are working on the issue.

Last edited:
G5 I Got mine... now what???

Merry Christmas to me, got my copy of G5, but now what: I've been reading the compatibility threads (I'm running a Sempron 3300+) so I'm aware G5 will crash my system during load... is there a fix on line (ftp site, etc), or will I have to wait even longer to order & receive the .027 fix-disc???

Merry Chrismas 2U@RF
/R
Anxious Dad
:confused:

Back