compatibility with G2

willsonman

So, I am thinking about getting G4 but I really want to keep the planes I have from G2 and the addons. Mostly the Corsair since I fly that one just about every time I load up the program. Any new information on this? Is it possible to export the model from G3.5 then import it into G4?

Don't worry about the Corsair. It's one of my favorites too. If they don't find a way to import the old models soon, I'll model that one.

dhk79 said:
Don't worry about the Corsair. It's one of my favorites too. If they don't find a way to import the old models soon, I'll model that one.

If you do decide to do a Corsair in the future would you think about doing a "Super Corsair" version? I don't know how drastically the overall shape of the planes are....but it would be a nice companion to have for the Rare Bear I will be doing!

Attachments

• supercorsair.jpg
    supercorsair.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 15
I'm not sure if it helps at all. But the day I had bought G4 I was reading G4 literature, and on the back it was talking about the add-ons, and it showed all the G3.5 add-ons. I myself am assuming that you can use all the G3.5 ones. I don't have any add-ons yet, so would like to make sure myself also before I get any.

G4 can use the expansion packs, but not the addons. There is a difference between the two.

jeffpn said:
G4 can use the expansion packs, but not the addons. There is a difference between the two.

I have a question concerning the add-ons ...

Since they work in G3.5 along with the planes, heli's and flields in the Expansion Packs - would it be possible to import them into G4 and then alter, fix, modify or whatever on an individual basis?

Or is there something in the add-ons that won't allow them to even be imported into G4?

Anyone have a clue?

You can't export a G3 or addon model. That approaches reverse engineering. You can only export aircraft that are user created

I'm asking ... if G4 would allow the add-ons to be loaded (even if the planes etc. didn't work) could the airplanes, heli's or fields then be modified, fixed, or altered to work in G4, by the user, on an individual basis?

I understand that KE has stated that the Add-ons are not supported by G4 - only the Expansion Packs.

What happens when an Add-on is loaded into G4?

When you choose a G2 plane to export, the "Entire aircraft" option is purposely missing.

These planes are located on the virtual protected volume that the securerom system creates... the infamous "O" drive.

So you cannot export or copy them off, by design.

opjose said:
When you choose a G2 plane to export, the "Entire aircraft" option is purposely missing.

These planes are located on the virtual protected volume that the securerom system creates... the infamous "O" drive.

So you cannot export or copy them off, by design.

So, if I understand this correctly, you're saying that if I have G4 loaded on my system and then insert - say, RealFlight Add-on disc 1 that G4 won't recognize the disc?

jeffpn said:
No, John, G4 will not be able to load any addon disc.

Thanks jeffpn - I knew that eventually some one would actually read the question and understand :) ... so when you loaded the Add-on disc, what error message did you get?

You did load it - didn't you? I mean you wouldn't just take some one elses word for it? - would you?

John, I don't even have G4 yet. I'm just echoing KE's statements that addons are not supported. I'm sorry, but that's the way it goes. When I first saw that, I was upset, because I have all 5 addon discs. Money wasted? I don't know. They were designed for G2, and compatable with G3. I got plenty of use out of them. At least my 4 expansion packs will work with G4. I'll miss some of the aircraft, but I'll get over it. I like the idea I've seen in the 80 other threads about this topic: a new dvd with the addon aircraft reworked. I'm not sure why you are so insistent on trying to install the addons. Take KE at their word: they are currently not supported. For me or anyone to try to install the addons anyway is a bit presumptuous. If the software developers say they are not compatable, why would you think otherwise? Do you think they missed something? Or didn't even try to install them? I just don't understand your train of thought.

jeffpn said:
John, I don't even have G4 yet. I'm just echoing KE's statements that addons are not supported. I'm sorry, but that's the way it goes. When I first saw that, I was upset, because I have all 5 addon discs. Money wasted? I don't know. They were designed for G2, and compatable with G3. I got plenty of use out of them. At least my 4 expansion packs will work with G4. I'll miss some of the aircraft, but I'll get over it. I like the idea I've seen in the 80 other threads about this topic: a new dvd with the addon aircraft reworked. I'm not sure why you are so insistent on trying to install the addons.

I'm not insistant, I'm simplay asking a question. Like Jim said:

jbourke said:
One important note: RealFlight G4 is not compatible with the RealFlight Classic or G2 "Add Ons" packs. It is, however, compatible with all RealFlight G3 Expansion Packs. Unfortunately, the older Add Ons just couldn't be reworked to fit into G4's way of doing things. We are still looking into some way of making these packs available to RealFlight G4 customers.

So, if KE is looking into making the "packs" available ... I'm asking if it's possible to load the disc - not supported by G4 - and then modify the contents ... essentially the same thing that KE is working on for the "packs". A simple question. Or, so I thought. Obviously if the Add-ons won't load the question is answered ... but, no one seems to want to answer the question they just want to speculate and guess and reiterate what KE has said.

jeffpn said:
Take KE at their word: they are currently not supported. For me or anyone to try to install the addons anyway is a bit presumptuous.

KE has stated that the "packs" are not compatible and that they're looking into making them compatible - what's wrong with asking if it's possible for the costumer to, at least on a limited basis, make some of the components comaptible?

jeffpn said:
If the software developers say they are not compatable, why would you think otherwise?

I don't think otherwise, I'm asking an enitirely different question - the "packs" are NOT compatible - are some of the components? Why is that question so difficult to understand?

jeffpn said:
Do you think they missed something? Or didn't even try to install them?

The only thing that's being missed here is my question. I don't think anyone has tried to install them ... if they had, then why isn't the question being answered - "What error code does the system give?"

jeffpn said:
I just don't understand your train of thought.

And I don't understand why the question is so difficult to understand.

You could manually point the Add-Ons 1-5 installers at your G4 directory and copy the data there, but you won't see any of that content in G4. I don't think it will cause any problems if you try this, but it is possible.

Ryan Douglas said:
You could manually point the Add-Ons 1-5 installers at your G4 directory and copy the data there, but you won't see any of that content in G4. I don't think it will cause any problems if you try this, but it is possible.

Thanks Ryan - appreciate the response. I know you guys are busy and have lots of other important "stuff" to do other then answer questions here. Like creating new planes, heli's and flying fields :D ... and all of the other "stuff" that everyone wants.

I actually thought this was a fairly simple question - guess not :confused:

Thanks again for clearing it up!

Johndou said:
The only thing that's being missed here is my question. I don't think anyone has tried to install them ... if they had, then why isn't the question being answered - "What error code does the system give?"
The reason YOU missed it is because you posted the same question more than once. It was answered in the other thread.

dhk79 said:
The reason YOU missed it is because you posted the same question more than once. It was answered in the other thread.

And your point is???

You say that as if you didn't think I knew that ... did you notice that I thanked op for answering my question there ... and that I thanked Ryan for answering it here.

I fail to see the relavence in pointing out the obvious ... what is your point? It wasn't being answered, it finally got answered and now you're concerned that it was asked in two different threads? Both threads being about the compatability of G2 (or G3) and G4.

Did it confuse you to see it in two threads?

Would you like me to delete it from one of the threads?

Which one should I delete?

Back