computer sticks - windoze 7 64 bit

andy29847

I am flying Realflight 5.5. I have a new computer - a Cyberpower with a 6 core processor and AMD 6950 graphics card. The new computer brought a big improvement in graphics from my old XP system, but I have had some trouble with system stability. I was getting an occasional blue screen until I removed the the 3.5 custom airplanes. When I dumped the older EAs, I removed and reloaded Realflight and I have put the pieces back in one at a time. Everything ran well until last night when I got a couple of mouse freezes (cursor won't move - have to re-boot). I did 2 things last night in Realflight - I updated to the latest version of RealFlight (5.5.25) and I edited a custom airplane to make it bigger and faster than the EA. I want to charge these issues to Windoze 7 64 bit because I did not have any trouble on my old XP machine. What is the experience of the list regarding my problems?

andy29847 said:
I am flying Realflight 5.5. I have a new computer - a Cyberpower with a 6 core processor and AMD 6950 graphics card. The new computer brought a big improvement in graphics from my old XP system, but I have had some trouble with system stability. I was getting an occasional blue screen until I removed the the 3.5 custom airplanes. When I dumped the older EAs, I removed and reloaded Realflight and I have put the pieces back in one at a time. Everything ran well until last night when I got a couple of mouse freezes (cursor won't move - have to re-boot). I did 2 things last night in Realflight - I updated to the latest version of RealFlight (5.5.25) and I edited a custom airplane to make it bigger and faster than the EA. I want to charge these issues to Windoze 7 64 bit because I did not have any trouble on my old XP machine. What is the experience of the list regarding my problems?
I run a pair of AMD 5870s on windows 7 and I can attest that AMD's driver package is buggy and is the real problem. I usually run a & port usb hub with 4 ports filled, if I unplug this hub I get no blue screens mouse freezing or anything.

I've said it dozens of times and I'll say it again...

Realflight itself CANNOT under - ANY - circumstances cause your computer to blue screen or freeze.

If you are seeing either, there is a far more pronounced and underlying problem with your computer.

If Realflight throws a division by zero error, or does something ( aka a software "bug" ) that it shouldn't, the worst that it can do is cause a return to the desktop ( aka Crash to Desktop, CTD ).

Anything beyond that is occuring at the operating system, driver or hardware level.... and even the OS does a pretty good job of protecting itself from the same if the hardware is otherwise OK.

So if you are seeing a blue screen, you need to look at those bigger issues...

Freezes normally involve drivers getting into software loops and not returning control to the OS, normally during an NMI ( non-maskable interrupt ).

Blue Screens are hardware, or hardware driver issues that effectively wipe out operating system program code/data from memory.

Blue screens can also be caused by:

- Insufficient cooling
- Bad Ram
- Insufficient power
- Not enough power regulation
- Shorts ( not the kind you wear )
- Drivers stepping on each others I/O space
- Poor bus mastering implementations
- Drivers not releasing heap space
- Drivers mis-using buffer space
- Drivers not being able to properly handle an "exception".
- Drivers mis-reporting hardware capabilities
- Drivers not being able to handle a passed parameter which they have reported being able to handle.

etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys

I use computers but don't always understand them. It is good to know RealFlight is not crashing my computer. In fact, I read Boof69's reply and a light went off in my brain, i.e, see if new driver's are available for some of my hardware. As it turns out, AMD has a driver set for the video card that was updated 3/31/2011. I loaded those, plus the new drivers for my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, and things seem much better. Thanks for you input.

Bingo!

Driver issue.

Glad to see you got it sorted out.

-----------

BTW: My somewhat rhetorical post is oriented to those who experience the same thing and come here complaining that the "software is crap".

We get these periodically, and most frequently after Xmas...

When it is pointed out that Realflight is not to blame, they tend to go off the deep end, telling us that they are "computer experts" with "xxx training"...

Search for "Blue Screen" and you'll find some of these ridiculous posts.

Oh Poop!

I spoketh too soon. I had a lot of computer trouble this weekend. Issues wiht sound drivers, screen freeze, blue screen, and then finally last night a black screen. I think I have a problem with some of the programs I bought over from my XP machine. I stripped out every program that didn't come with the computer including Mozilla Firefox, Fraps, DeLorme Topo, PC Wizard, Registry Tweaker, RealFlight 4.5, 5.5, and some others I can't think of. I reloaded RealFlight 5.5 this afternoon and everything is OK so far. Wish me luck.....

Unfortunately sometimes merely uninstalling or removing a program does not undo the damage.

Library files are frequently left behind that may interfere with driver's own use of different versions of the same libraries.

Getting Better

I am getting things back to normal on the computer. Most of the software I need is loaded and things are working. I have been listening to **** Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn playing Pipeline on a you Tube clip. Then flying a little. Fingers crossed and hoping.......

Real Progress

Graphics turned up - Running multiple programs - fingers still crossed...

1249195414_j6Nkh-O.jpg

1249195461_rp4TZ-O.jpg

Maj. Numbskully said:
lol......you can say damn ................but not the short term for Richard :p
I think if that were my name, I'd be a little offended that the forums are offended by my name. :confused:

I've said it dozens of times and I'll say it again...

Realflight itself CANNOT under - ANY - circumstances cause your computer to blue screen or freeze.

If you are seeing either, there is a far more pronounced and underlying problem with your computer.

If Realflight throws a division by zero error, or does something ( aka a software "bug" ) that it shouldn't, the worst that it can do is cause a return to the desktop ( aka Crash to Desktop, CTD ).

Anything beyond that is occuring at the operating system, driver or hardware level.... and even the OS does a pretty good job of protecting itself from the same if the hardware is otherwise OK.

So if you are seeing a blue screen, you need to look at those bigger issues...

Freezes normally involve drivers getting into software loops and not returning control to the OS, normally during an NMI ( non-maskable interrupt ).

Blue Screens are hardware, or hardware driver issues that effectively wipe out operating system program code/data from memory.

Blue screens can also be caused by:

- Insufficient cooling
- Bad Ram
- Insufficient power
- Not enough power regulation
- Shorts ( not the kind you wear )
- Drivers stepping on each others I/O space
- Poor bus mastering implementations
- Drivers not releasing heap space
- Drivers mis-using buffer space
- Drivers not being able to properly handle an "exception".
- Drivers mis-reporting hardware capabilities
- Drivers not being able to handle a passed parameter which they have reported being able to handle.

etc. etc. etc.
This information is INCORRECT. My copy of RF9 was working without issue when I was running an old nvidia 670 card but when I switch to a Zotac 1060 IT ALWAYS CRASHES TO BLUE SCREEN. I am running windows 7 64bit, 16Gb ram, i7-3770k @3.50Ghz, with 450 watt power supply. I have reinstalled the software with default settings, installed the latest video drivers, searched the log files for any info and found nothing. I have searched the forums and found nothing. There is no solution so far and I'm not very happy with that. Paid almost $300 and only got to use it for a few months. I get to loading the top menu and then just crashes to blue screen, have to manually shutdown and restart again, total hard crash. If anybody has any solutions please post them. But telling me it doesn't cause BSOD is not helpful. Especially since every other piece of software has no issues with my setup. Every other program, game, etc loads and runs with zero issues. I am running 3, 27 inch Acer gaming monitors with some games and zero issues. I have just been trying to run RF9 on one monitor so far.

Last edited:
This information is INCORRECT. My copy of RF9 was working without issue when I was running an old nvidia 670 card but when I switch to a Zotac 1060 IT ALWAYS CRASHES TO BLUE SCREEN.
I believe you.

You need to understand what is being said. It is not possible (theoretically) for an application program to cause the operating system to go down (BSOD). It may cause the virtual address space to crash, but NOT the system. Now then, what CAN cause BSOD related to an app is|are drivers. Drivers are part of (extentions of) the kernel (operating system) and THEY can most certainly cause BSOD. The 'kernel driver' for your Zotac 1060 is most certainly the problem.

I would recommend that you put your 'old' NVidia card back in the system, and keep using the win7 system as we have discussed before, for RealFlight. In any case, I recommend using NVidia cards ane drivers with your RealFlight9 (and Windows 10, will all updates and patches).

PS edit: 'old' NVidia card

marcus

Last edited:
You are quoting something that was said 10 years ago by one of the smartest computer tech guys that I know. I am always suspect of having remaining remnants of drivers from the original graphics card. These problems are difficult to resolve as you know. I would not change manufactures in any case. I wish you the best.

Moving this discussion to the RF9 forum might get more and better answers. Hardware guys could answer questions 24/7 and still have remaining work.

This information is INCORRECT. My copy of RF9 was working without issue when I was running an old nvidia 670 card but when I switch to a Zotac 1060 IT ALWAYS CRASHES TO BLUE SCREEN. I am running windows 7 64bit, 16Gb ram, i7-3770k @3.50Ghz, with 450 watt power supply. I have reinstalled the software with default settings, installed the latest video drivers, searched the log files for any info and found nothing. I have searched the forums and found nothing. There is no solution so far and I'm not very happy with that. Paid almost $300 and only got to use it for a few months. I get to loading the top menu and then just crashes to blue screen, have to manually shutdown and restart again, total hard crash. If anybody has any solutions please post them. But telling me it doesn't cause BSOD is not helpful. Especially since every other piece of software has no issues with my setup. Every other program, game, etc loads and runs with zero issues. I am running 3, 27 inch Acer gaming monitors with some games and zero issues. I have just been trying to run RF9 on one monitor so far.

I would recommend that you put your NVidia card back in the system, and keep using the win7 system as we have discussed before, for RealFlight. In any case, I recommend using NVidia cards ane drivers with your RealFlight9 (and Windows 10, will all updates and patches).

marcus
The Zotac 1060 is an Nvidia card.
The latest drivers for the 1060 (version 466.11) are the same drivers for Windows 7 64bit and 10, 64bit and the same driver I am using for my 2080 video card
RF9.5 and RF-X work perfect on my Win10 system.
Zotac GTX 1060 and GTX 670 (Tail_Spin's old card) use the same recommended drivers on the Nvidia web site, version 466.11

The Zotac 1060 is an Nvidia card.
The latest drivers for the 1060 (version 466.11) are the same drivers for Windows 7 64bit and 10, 64bit and the same driver I am using for my 2080 video card
I should have been more specific; put the 'old' NVidia card back and get the system running.

Obviously, something is not compatible, or there if not by design there is some other driver bug (or hardware bug) that is causing a problem.

Another way to say this is, if everything is working fine and a new graphics card causes problems, clearly the recommended driver doesn't work (with that hardware). This is obviously true. We can talk all day about what is supposed to work! So, we're left with really only two options... (1) find a graphics driver for the new card that works, or (2) put the old card back.

marcus

And, another thing that must be said at this point, which everyone will hate, is that this problem at its root|heart has more to do with the DirectX level being used as much as anything else... and, sooner or later RealFlight is going to stop working altogether; either because DirectX 9 is no longer supported, or is pulled from the Windows system, or because video card vendors no longer care to invest in the older technology. Another way of saying this is, sooner or later RealFlight ( KE HH ) is going to have to move Rf to a later version of DirectX; we are now up to DirectX 12.

PS There is also the possibility that the new Zotac card is defective; happens.

PS There is another diagnostic that can be done to find out a little more; often when the BSOD occurs the system is not 'really' crashed, just the video server|desktop. From another machine you can try to ping the system in question... do you get a ping response? Can you log onto the system with an SSH shell, or use Putty? If no ping response, or no system logon response from outside, OS has crashed. Sometimes hardware will cause resource contentions that bring the system down... are there card settings (jumpers) that you may have overlooked (or NVidia settings ?)

marcus

Last edited:
Back