Controller life expectancy?

GLFaria

Hi,
If you look a little further down the threads about RF Basic, you will find a thread started by myself a little about a year ago concerning troubles with the controller I got at the time I bought RFB.

The controller was found to be defective (problem with the operation of the RH stick), it was still covered by the warranty, and Support service was irreproachable and honored the warranty by sending me a new one.

Now, after one year of very intensive use, this "new" controller is starting to develop severe problems in the LH stick (mode 2) - any time I touch the stick I get erratic, spasmodic and rather violent reactions on the rudder. Forget making corrections at low level or on approach, be they throttle or rudder, because if you do the "plane" is as good as doomed.

Now, I am not going to bugger Support after one year of perfect working. I just assume the controller has lived its useful life - which, as far as I consider it, has been pretty short.

What I would like to know is - what can be assumed to be the reliable lifespan of a sim controller?

Because, much as I enjoy RF Basic, I am not willing to buy a new controller every year, and I am even less ready to spend several hundred euros on a more expensive one like one of the more recent versions if it is going to burn in a couple of years. Playing with the sim is fun, but only if you don't have to worry about reliability and bucks!

Thanks for any comments

G.

I bought G4 when it was first available some time in 2007 or 2008, I forget. I got the G5 upgrade, and the RF6 upgrade. I'm still using the same controller I got with G4. 5 years, and still going strong.

Yup same here.

I still am using the G3 interlink as well which is from circa 2004-2005 or so.

Can't say that I've ever dropped either one. I've loaned the G3 controller out once or twice for a demo... but they've worked just fine for many years.

From the replies I got on both threads, I would consider about 4-5 years to be a good bet (Brields says 2 years, but his controller still works, so he may just have a pessimistic turn of mind ;); on the other hand, opjose says he has a G3 from 2004-2005 still in working order, but he may just be lucky...)

Anyway, two controllers out of order in the span of one year suggest that the controllers sold with RF Basic are just crap (my equipment is well cared for, I am the only user, and I am 66 - meaning I don't go kicking things around...).

I know RF Basic is bottom of the line as far as Great Planes sims go, so I probably should expect its controller to be bottom of the line too. Cheap PRC product, etc.

But I am not happy, and am certainly not going to buy another of these.

Thing is, I find the more recent sim offers from GP to be too expensive for what I see as mainly a computer game. Much as I like their sims, I will probably look esewhere...

Thanks for your help

G.

Did that, although I really don't see much point in it.

Thanks

G.

btw, I get a headache everytime I look at your avatar! :D

Tech support may help you out, which is why there really IS a point in contacting them.

Well, what can I say, you are right!...

As I have mentionned last year, RF Support service is tops :D

Now, if only they managed to make the RF Basic controllers so... ;)

Cheers

G.

I just sent an email to support as Im having similar issues, my controller is maybe closer to about 3yrs old but it really doesnt have alot of hours on it, a look inside the case explains why these gp controllers dont last, the pots are very small low cost units, Im not sure if there would be a way to upgrade them but replacement pots should be very inexpensive.

Mine has lasted just fine thank you, after MANY hours and years of use.

It's only been dropped twice.

Mine has lasted just fine thank you, after MANY hours and years of use.

It's only been dropped twice.

But the thread is about the RF Basic "GP" controller.. you've already said you have the G3 so that is neither relevant or helpful to this topic in any manner, wyp
This from KE service:
The GP controllers have nothing in common with other RF controllers and often only last 2-3 years but are usually repaired under warranty regardless of the purchase date unless there is obvious signs of misuse or damage.

Some people here actually bought RFB to learn how to fly RC models, however many of the people in this forum are video gamers with an entirely differant purpose for owning their chosen product, in many cases their RealFlight cost more than their RC model(s), "If" they even own one.... if you are an RC modeller then RFB is a good value and will continue to serve its intended purpose just fine, even if you do have to send it in for repair occasionally, which btw imo is alot less hassle than trying to get helpful infomation from some forums.

But the thread is about the RF Basic "GP" controller.. you've already said you have the G3 so that is neither relevant or helpful to this topic in any manner, wyp

You're sadly mis-informed. I own them all, as well as most of the other sims.

As I said the controller holds up fine thank you.

You made a blanket statement about the controller "not holding up" which is untrue, unless your dog is prone to chew on it.

The OP was told to contact support, which he did after initially discounting the advice to do so. He was promptly taken care of, as we knew he would have.

It would have behooved you to do likewise in the first place.

As such this is both helpful and relevant to anyone seeking similiar information about repairs or problems with their controllers.

It helps to read what was stated.

Last edited:
RBF controller

GLFaria: mine started acting up about 3 months after i got RFB think was toting it around with my laptop and putting it in the side slot of the laptop case and i lived in the Ca desert where there was nothing but sand and dust NO grass as i lived on a horse ranch, the throttle control would chatter and idle or low end even with trim set to the lowest point i still had almost no low end throttle i opened the controller and sprayed some Good contact cleaner in the potentiometers inside that controlled the throttle/rudder ailerons and elevator side there are 2 for each stick, this got what ever Gunk dirt.dust grit out and restored full contact to contacts controller worked fine again and still does almost a year later I also do this with my Normal rc controllers once every year with my plane transmitters and every 6 months with my car transmitters

Last edited:
fyi...btw...to whom ever cares I'm on 6 years ...broke a switch when I knocked it to the floor and my usb connection is iffy

fyi...btw...to whom ever cares I'm on 6 years ...broke a switch when I knocked it to the floor and my usb connection is iffy

Same here and it still works great. All the detents have worn off so it's a Heli controller now. Even wore out the USB cable which Tech Support was glad to provide a replacement. For the most part these controllers go the distance and then some.

Back