Controller not recognized

WickedFog

A friend is having trouble getting RF 9.5 to work. His PC doesn't have standard USB 2.0 ports, just micro ones, and it is not recognizing his controller (he got the sim with the Spektrum Tx). He is using a micro to 2.0 adapter cable. Could that be causing it? Since the computer is not recognizing his device, he gets this error when launching the sim.
Screenshot_20220317-194735_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220317-194815_Chrome.jpg

You may need to purchase a powered USB Hub, the interlink DX apparently needs more power to run it than some laptops can supply.
Try plugging the DX into another PC and check if it is recognized as a "gamepad" in windows devices, just to make sure the controller is not defective.

That is what I was wondering, if the USB ports were to blame. He only has one laptop, and all it has is micro USB ports.

I had the same problem with 9.5S and the default control. I was able to make mine work by just plugging it into a older USB hub with no external power to the hub. Tops the dumbest things I have seen in my life, and I have seen some dumb stuff.

@Ryan Douglas @Jeremy Sebens
Hypothesis: From everyting I've read on the forum, the problem appears to be unique to connecting the USB2 InterLink to USB3 ports. Connecting via USB2 ports doesn't seem to be a problem - unless I've missed something. Is there a bug in the InterLink that somehow prevents it from telling the PC's USB3 port that it needs to downgrade into USB2 mode/speed - perhaps with some PC's/chipsets but not others? Perhaps the hub (powered or not) negotiates properly, but the InterLink doesn't. And the InterLink doesn't need to when talking to the USB2 hub because they're both talking in their native "language." Basically the hub seems to act as a translator between the USB2 & USB3 languages. So far, the proposals/solutions by users (including myself) have seemed to be thinking of it as a power issue. I'm wondering whether it's actually a communication speed issue.
Then again, maybe I'm overthinking it.

Last edited:
We're working on the issue. We know that some computers will not work with recent InterLink DX devices. In those situations, connecting through a USB hub has corrected the issue in all known cases. It is not a power issue, and the hub does not need to be powered. I don't believe USB version is a factor.

I admit that my speculation is based on "head games" not any sophisticated testing or equipment. I have an InterLink X not a DX so we're talking apples & oranges. And the cable has a blue tongue, so I guess it's probably native USB3 anyway. But I have a VERY vague recollection that I had some sort of trouble with it when I first got it & plugged it into a USB3 port that went away when I connected to USB2. But I can't reproduce it now, and don't remember exactly what the problem was. I even tried hooking up my old PC & tried testing on that & still can't reproduce whatever the problem was to jog my memory. My old PC was/is Z400, Xeon e5-1620 3.6, 32G, GTS450. Newer one is Z230, i7-4790 3.6, 32G, GTX960. Both boot from SSD & have a RAID data volume. They both work perfectly with both InterLink Elite & X in any USB port. The biggest difference I see between them is that the GTS450 gives me about 100fps & the GTX960 gives me about 220 on Henson Field with the same aircraft on "high" graphics settings. HhhMmmm I wonder why I bothered to upgrade - except for the video card. Oh well, the price was right since I work for a PC refurbisher & can get cosmetically challenged PC's for GREAT (scrap) prices. All my PC's have damaged cases. My older laptop has a broken corner on the display enclosure. My new one has a cracked case top. Buyers don't want stuff like that. Most of them demand cosmetic perfection even if the bungs don't affect the operation. They don't look pretty - but they work great.

Last edited:
Transient problems like what you described can be some of the most frustrating. There's a somewhat-related saying I like: Problems that go away by themselves tend to come back by themselves. ? In any event, this particular issue is very much specific to more recent InterLink DX units. The InterLink-X and Elite would not experience it.

That sounds like a sweet opportunity on the PC equipment!

Incidentally, in rereading my previous post I think it comes off as a bit brusque. That was unintentional; I found myself with only a couple minutes in which to fire off several posts last night so I was moving quickly.

I didn't take it that way. No problem on my end. I'm aware that the problem is specific to the DX. But I have a very vague recollection that someone might have posted a similar problem with an X a long time ago, too. Just out of curiosity... does the DX work with RF7 & earlier? I know that the X doesn't, and that caused problems for some people, too.

And I totally agree about the intermittent problems. I'd much rather have something that fails every time. Usually, when it's fixed, it's fixed - not just hiding. When someone complains about an intermittent problem that was "fixed" & comes back, I tell them that it's because of my magnetic personality. If I'm nearby, the problem will go away again. Back in the dark ages, I had a customer with a PC that wouldn't power on. In my shop, it worked perfectly. In his shop, it wouldn't power up at all. With an onsite service call, I figured out that it was actually his parallel interface HP Paintjet large format plotter causing the problem. If the plotter was powered on before the PC, the PC wouldn't power up at all. And that stupid plotter had a 20-minute initialization/self-test/warmup cycle, so he never turned it off. The solution was to never turn the PC off, either. Or to turn the PC on first after a power outage. Drove me nuts!

The InterLink DX is only supported by RF8 and RF9, and only fully supported starting with 9.0. You can use it with RF8, but there are some limitations.

Oh that is maddening. Isn't technology the best? ?

You can use it with RF8, but there are some limitations.
Again, I learn something new here almost every day. And THREE TIMES today! :D
I haven't observed any limitations with RF8 - can you be more specific? I bought RF8 with the X controller when it first came out and RFX didn't work for me.
P.S. OOPS, I misread your post. You said DX, not X limitations. & I had a brain fart & initally typed the same thing in my response.

Last edited:
Just for the halibut, I bought one of those $30 USB tester gadgets. I figured it might be useful for my PC service work.
My InterLink-X controller draws 0.029A, InterLink Elite 0.019A. I don't have a DX to test, but unless it draws dramatically more than the controllers I have, it CAN'T be a power issue. It's GOT to be timing/handshake. FYI, my optical mouse draws 0.020A, a 32G thumb drive 0.071A at rest, 0.098A while writing. My phone draws 0.450A while charging slowly & the voltage drops from 5.03V to 4.96V. I'm having fun playing with it.

Last edited:
sorry to open an older thread but this is the closest to the problem i am having i had to replace my old interlink controller from v3 now i have the can't calibrate problem is there a software fix or do i need to get a usb hub??? now on 9.5 and a newer dell computer

@pete.russell, can you elaborate on exactly what you're experiencing? Is is that you're unable to click on the Calibrate button and have it do anything?

Does the application window's main title bar start reporting "Not Responding", as shown below?

RealFlight application not responding.png

I encountered an issue earlier today where RealFlight crashed on startup (due to circumstances I had deliberately caused), but the notification message box appeared behind the main application window, so it was not immediately obvious what had happened. I had to notice it in the Windows task bar, then click on that to bring it to the foreground so I could click on it. Do you see anything similar?

RealFlight message box in background.png

Other questions:
  • What version of Windows are you running?
  • What type of CPU do you have? Particularly I'm curious if it's an 11th- or 12th-generation processor.
  • What type of graphics card do you have?
  • Which version of RealFlight do you have?

Back