Controller not recognized

i either get a message please connect a real flight controller device or windows joystick or rf starts up but says i need to calibrate the controller but there is no response from the sticks i.e. no movement of the calibrate bars on the screen

Device name DESKTOP-RIJCKT4
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
Device ID E838D328-6F8A-458F-A914-692FA83293ED
Product ID 00325-81935-16633-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

nvidia geforce 8800 gts

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)

nvidia geforce 8800 gts
I'm curious about that, too. But I'm also seeing something else in Pete's setup that makes absolutely no sense to me: a 2007 video card in a pretty new system. I'd bet that his 10th gen i7's onboard video is better than that.

I gotta think that's a lot of the problem. Is it even possible for RF to run with that antique video card?
My GTX960 is bad enough, but it runs RF8 on Highest graphics with decent frame rates, but not good enough for VR. Will that old video card even run RF at Low graphics? Even my 1st gen i5 laptop with onboard video is flyable at low graphics with barely acceptable frame rates. I'm not going to fire up my 4th gen i7 laptop w/ onboard video to check but I think I have it set for high graphics because the frame rate is too slow at hightest.

e-GeForce 8800 GTS
  • Base Clock: 500 MHZ.
  • Memory Clock: 1600 MHz Effective.
  • CUDA Cores: 96.
  • Bus Type: PCIe.
  • Memory Detail: 640MB DDR3.
  • Memory Bit Width: 320 Bit.
  • Memory Speed: 1.2ns.
  • Memory Bandwidth: 64 GB/s.

Last edited:
OOPS. I just went back & re-read the original question after getting side-tracked by the video card. I don't think anything has actually been established about why it happens, but AFAIK, when people connect their controller to a hub instead of directly to the PC, it works. It doesn't seem to require a powered hub or an expensive one. Go visit BIg Lots & buy the cheapest one you can find - it might work. If it doesn't, you're not out much & it might be useful for connecting other stuff if you're short on ports or rooting around under your desk to hook stuff up is too much trouble.

I know it seems weird, but there are a bunch of threads about the problem - pretty much always with a new DX controller, and usually with a new laptop. I think only one of them had a defective controller. And a hub fixed the problem. At first the speculation was that the DX draws too much power, but that's been ruled out. I THINK it's probably a timing issue with some chipsets & the DX, and adding a hub changes the timing just enough to fix it. But I'm not sure that's been confirmed. And you might want to try the Radeon again if you didn't return it. Check out this thread: https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/amd-radeon-issues.56126/

@pete.russell, it seems I took the wrong path based on the initial information. When you said you can't calibrate, I thought immediately of a different issue one or two people have reported and started down that path. But with the benefit now of more information, I'm reasonably confident that as @Bill Stuntz said above, your problem will be solved by connecting through a USB hub. If you have one lying around, give it a try. You can also contact RealFlight Product Support and they will help you out.

RealFlight is not very graphically demanding outside of VR. A decent card from 7 years ago should be able to run it just fine.

If you said what kind of Radeon you tried I missed it, but if you would prefer to use that it should be possible at this time. See this thread which Bill linked above for more information.

Ryan Douglas,
I am considering upgrading my i7 8th generation CPU to a 12th Generation CPU, is there a issue with 11-12th Gen CPU's and Realflight, I am curious as to why you asked that question in post #20. ?
(Also @technoid)

Great question. We're not aware of any issues at this time. It's more that we've seen a couple unusual issues reported lately that we're still trying to figure out, and since we don't have any direct experience with 12th-gen processors in-house, it's an area of curiosity. We don't have any reason to anticipate them causing any problems, but we also can't say that we've verified them firsthand. I hope that helps!

(Also @technoid)

Great question. We're not aware of any issues at this time. It's more that we've seen a couple unusual issues reported lately that we're still trying to figure out, and since we don't have any direct experience with 12th-gen processors in-house, it's an area of curiosity. We don't have any reason to anticipate them causing any problems, but we also can't say that we've verified them firsthand. I hope that helps!
Thanks for the response Ryan, I will let you know if I experience any RF concerns with a 12th gen CPU

Thanks @asj5547!

And to follow up with a little more info about the InterLink DX issue, we identified the problem and it has already been solved for newer units being manufactured.

Only a subset of DX's have the potential to exhibit this problem, and only certain computers are susceptible to it, which is how it evaded detection in the beginning. For most of the people who do encounter this problem, it looks like what has been described above: RealFlight behaves as though the InterLink is not connected. Occasionally the user actually can run the software but they experience extreme input lag, where it takes something like a full second for changes to be detected.

Thankfully, only a small percentage of users experience these problems. Still, we obviously don't want anybody to experience them! RealFlight Product Support is standing by ready to help.

Thanks @asj5547!

And to follow up with a little more info about the InterLink DX issue, we identified the problem and it has already been solved for newer units being manufactured.

Only a subset of DX's have the potential to exhibit this problem, and only certain computers are susceptible to it, which is how it evaded detection in the beginning. For most of the people who do encounter this problem, it looks like what has been described above: RealFlight behaves as though the InterLink is not connected. Occasionally the user actually can run the software but they experience extreme input lag, where it takes something like a full second for changes to be detected.

Thankfully, only a small percentage of users experience these problems. Still, we obviously don't want anybody to experience them! RealFlight Product Support is standing by ready to help.
Based on this information, if it were mine, I'd be contacting tech support to obtain a replacement for my defective brand new out of the box controller. I wonder if others can get replacements for their not quite so new defective controllers. Perhaps a recall is in order.

Back