Converting X-Plane model to RF7?

rtfm

Hi,
By way of introduction, I have designed and am currently building a full-scale single seat tandem wing airplane. Although it satisfies all the standard design formulae, because it is a tandem wing, none of the design texts go into a whole lot of detail. As a result, the design is somewhat speculative in some key areas.

In an attempt to verify my design decisions, I created a model in X-Plane, and flew it. After some fiddling, I am now very happy with its performance. But X-Plane does not model stall/spin behaviour well, and so I thought I'd build a 1/3 scale model, and fly a miniature of the real thing. I have started doing this.

But building anything from scratch takes a long time, and because I want to be able to fly it when its finished, I thought I'd grab a copy of RF7 and learn to fly RC planes.

Yeah right...

It's a LOT harder than it looks, right? I keep losing orientation, because there are too few visual clues when all one can see is what is on a computer screen. But I'm working at it.

It now occurs to me that it would be excellent if I could model my plane in RF7, and fly IT... However, I have taken a look at what is involved, and frankly, I think it is beyond me. I only have so many hours in a day, and I have to spend the majority of my time on actually building the full size plane. What other time I have, I spend on the model. And at night, I'm trying to get my head round the flight sim.

So... Would anyone who already knows how to do this be prepared to give me a hand in getting my little Razorback F1 into RF7?

I can supply very basic 2-D CAD (plan and profile views only), as well as a nicely rendered model in X-Plane. All dimensions, etc are available, of course. If someone could give me a hand, that would be awesome...

Some specs:
Stall 42kts
Cruise: 135kts
Tractor config, Industrial 990cc engine, 50hp

Here's what the Razorback looks like.

Regards,
Duncan

Attachments

• F1 ready to roll.jpg
    F1 ready to roll.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 24
  • F1 over water.jpg
    F1 over water.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 18
  • F1-T top view.jpg
    F1-T top view.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 17
Let me start by saying that's a very interesting looking model. I wish you luck on the builds you have going. I for one would love to help you out, but Ive just got too many models going right now (I think there's about 6-7 if Im not mistaken), but maybe one of the other guys might pick it up. In the meantime, if you did want to start testing the waters on making your own, I could dig up a link to a series of videos showing you step by step how to build it yourself. The series is mostly complete, and Im sure if you have questions along the way, the guys here would be more than happy to help. Good luck.

Back