Crazy Control

richeaton777

I'm totally new to drones. Bought the sim to do virtual crashes first. I've calibrated my controller. However, it seems that flying a drone is just too crazy in the quadcopter challenge. The drone wont hold altitude.. drops if I don't hold the left stick up. When I get it stabilized, and move forward, the drone gains altitude, so I end up having to lower the left stick .. and usually it drops too fast. Also, when flying, the drone seems to change yaw so easily that I'm never sure which way its headed, so left/right change all the time. I know I'm supposed to use tiny adjustments to fly, but the controls seem hyper-sensitive. Is something messed up, or do drones just work this way?

Terrible Challenge

I hate the instability. Also, supposedly channel 5 down reduces the instability but it doesn't. It just so stupid. Please RealFlight hear us and give us a chance to learn.:mad::mad:

Let me add my vote to this as well. To complete the challenges I have to bounce the quad along the runway as flying it is uncontrollable in the challenges. Not a very realistic process! You'd think a $125 piece of software would have more control available. My Play Station games, less that $50, can do so much more!

Depending on the model and the flight mode, it will be a handful to fly a quad. Realflight does a very good job at replicating the physics model.

CSgill, poor answer.
Says nothing.
You're probably not even an actual user.
If so, what is the Top Most airport called?

CSgill, poor answer.
Says nothing.
You're probably not even an actual user.
If so, what is the Top Most airport called?

Teelions, do your homework, CSgill has been around about 8 yrs. longer that you, hell, you just joined, SO, where do you get off judging him. Why don`t you try looking at his files, and see what he`s contributed to RF. THAT IS, even if you know how to locate them yet.

I would say that csgil75's answer is accurate and speaks volumes of the subject. Teelions, listen, learn and ask questions. We have been flying for a long time. Sim, Models and General Aviation.

Knife Edge wouldn't put out a model unless it somewhat resembled the real aircraft. Realflight's Physics, are arguably the best in the business. I don't have Realflight Drone, but what I do have is Realflight 3,4,5,6,7,8, all the .5 upgrades expansion packs, add-ons and RF-X. Realflight 8 Gave us the multirotors from the Drone version and the ability to EDIT the models. Realflight's Editor is really what sets it apart, you can tune the aircraft to fly the way you want. Drone edition sadly doesn't have it.

I have Several RC aircraft, including a few quads (6). Some are very easy to fly, and others, not so much. Racers are what I would consider a handful. Somewhat easier than a Helicopter ( I have 5 real ones ranging from 300 size to 600) that isn't flying 3D but much faster in direction changes, and throttle response.

I do have Realflight competitions software such as Aerofly, Phoenix, Liftoff (a racer quad sim),NeXt and AccuRC V2.

I have been here long enough to not need to prove that I am a Realflight "user", I'll just leave it at that. Out of the Forum regulars who are still here, only a couple have been here longer than me.

It's called a "challenge" for a reason.
Great answer in a nutshell Andy.....Too the first three posters in this thread, Control of ANY RC aircraft is a learning experience, be it a real one or one on / in a sim,, Ask any rc pilot, and they`ll tell you the same. All it takes is practice. Don`t blame the sim., it`s here to teach you, it takes time. For some, it takes longer, others, not so long. Just keep practicing, and you`ll get it dialed in. ;)

Great answer in a nutshell Andy.....Too the first three posters in this thread, Control of ANY RC aircraft is a learning experience, be it a real one or one on / in a sim,, Ask any rc pilot, and they`ll tell you the same. All it takes is practice. Don`t blame the sim., it`s here to teach you, it takes time. For some, it takes longer, others, not so long. Just keep practicing, and you`ll get it dialed in. ;)

Not to mention they lock the quad in "acro" model for the chalenges. Plus it sounds like the first coulpe posts may have been flying in the wrong transmitter mode for where the springs are.

I'm totally new to drones. Bought the sim to do virtual crashes first. I've calibrated my controller. However, it seems that flying a drone is just too crazy in the quadcopter challenge. The drone wont hold altitude.. drops if I don't hold the left stick up. When I get it stabilized, and move forward, the drone gains altitude, so I end up having to lower the left stick .. and usually it drops too fast. Also, when flying, the drone seems to change yaw so easily that I'm never sure which way its headed, so left/right change all the time. I know I'm supposed to use tiny adjustments to fly, but the controls seem hyper-sensitive. Is something messed up, or do drones just work this way?

I must ask, why, as a newbe to drones are you flying challenges, unless you just love punishment and frustration. You need to start at the beginning, and slowly build your skills. JMVHO

I bought RF Drone a couple of years ago because my good old G3 interlink packed it in and Drone with elite interlink was on sale from Tower for about the same price as the controller.

I’ve used all RF products starting with G2 and I gotta say that in my opinion Drone was the worst sim ever. No wonder it’s been discontinued. All of these have been ported over to RF8 so at least you can edit them which can help a bit.

I think that RF does a great job with planes and heli physics but are not so good with Drones yet.

Hola, necesito comprar solo el software o DVD del RealFlight Drone Edition, ya que tengo instalado el RF 7.5 y cuento con el Interlink Elite Controller. cómo puedo hacer. Agradezco la información.

Saludos.

Translated with google;

Hello, I need to buy only the software or DVD of the RealFlight Drone Edition, since I have installed the RF 7.5 and I have the Interlink Elite Controller. how can I do. I appreciate the information.

Greetings.

My reply,

You can do this but the Drone Edition has been discontinued although you may still find a copy in a shop. I highly recommend that you purchase RealFlight 8 DVD or Download version (I'm not a big Steam fan, but you can also buy it there). Your 7.5 controller will work fine. This includes all the Drone Edition Drones and is much better because you can edit them. They cannot be edited in the Drone Edition. Also, I think that RF8 is a nice upgrade.

My reply, Google translated, so maybe a bit rough;

Puede hacer esto, pero la edición de Drone se ha suspendido aunque todavía puede encontrar una copia en una tienda. Le recomiendo que compre RealFlight 8 DVD o la versión de descarga (no soy un gran fanático de Steam, pero también puede comprarlo allí). Su controlador 7.5 funcionará bien. Esto incluye todos los Drone Edition Drones y es mucho mejor porque puedes editarlos. No se pueden editar en la Edición Drone. Además, creo que RF8 es una buena actualización.

I must ask, why, as a newbe to drones are you flying challenges, unless you just love punishment and frustration. You need to start at the beginning, and slowly build your skills. JMVHO

Hello, I'm a newbie and I don't love punishment and frustration! I too entered the challenges because I really didn't know where else to go.

I have Realflight Drone Simulator. I started off with just choosing a drone and a location but I don't see anything in the manual that really says where I should start or what I should be doing.

The manual is extensive, and maybe I'm missing something, but I was looking for something that says "to go up, do this", "to turn left, do this", etc. Assume I know nothing about flying!

So, I'll start off fine, then the drone gets away from me and it's a small spec in the distance. Sometimes what I was doing to go left or right becomes the opposite. I would really like to know why that happens.

The reason I went into the challenge area was because I figured at least I would have some set goals to measure what I'm doing, but yeah, it's like Wile E. Coyote coming up with new ideas against the Roadrunner and continually getting burnt.

Any suggestions on how to start of correctly would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like you are progressing though all this just fine. Just keep trying things and keep hitting the reset button when necessary. Also, if you Google a bit you may find additional info on Realflight Drone (now discontinued btw). For example;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNMKCWIfjdI

Good luck and have fun!

Sounds like you are progressing though all this just fine. Just keep trying things and keep hitting the reset button when necessary. Also, if you Google a bit you may find additional info on Realflight Drone (now discontinued btw). For example;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNMKCWIfjdI

Good luck and have fun!

OK, thanks! I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I think the good news is that I'm interested in getting the DJI Spark, which they say is very easy to fly.

I was going to wait until spring so I figure by then, after continuing with the simulator all winter, I should be good to go.

Back