Day Time

3D airports: Yes. Use the Shift+Page Up/Page Down keys to change the sun angle.

PhotoFields: No. It would not make sense to place the sun anywhere other than its location in the panoramic image.

You can't change the sun position in Realflight 7 or Realflight 5 if your at a photofield.

Do you listen? Try editing the field....you can and I have done it to originally setup the photofield... as I said(and Ryan too)... the photo really needs to be reshot with differing light conditions such as at Sunup or SunDown. The Shift+pageup or shift+pagedown do not work.

I ment about using the page up and down key. I shuld have been more descriptive. Sorry for confusion.

In case this still needs clarification: Yes, it is theoretically possible to adjust the sun angle at a PhotoField. The only thing preventing it is the "Fixed Camera Only" property, which can easily be toggled in the airport editor.

But altering the sun angle at a PhotoField will only affect the light angle (and whether any glow frames that are present are turned on). It will have no effect on the panorama.

At best, adjusting the sun angle at a PhotoField will cause the lighting on your aircraft and any other 3D objects in the scene to be incorrect compared to the panorama. At worst, if you're actually trying to turn a daytime PhotoField into a nighttime one, you'll have a glowing aircraft with completely messed up lighting against the backdrop of a bright daytime scene. That background is simply a photograph. Changing the sun angle is not going to magically make it look as though it were taken at night.

So, that's why I said earlier that it would not make sense to place the sun anywhere other than exactly where it is located in the panoramic image. It is also why I answered in the negative to the original question, which was not whether the sun angle can be changed at a PhotoField but whether you can change the time of day.

I hope that helps.

actually I think I altered the sun and moon at evergreen for this "Eclipse" photo field a long time ago
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/8974
PS I if I put my mind to it ...I could make it look like night...with the caviot it would have to be a whole new pano made from evergreen might not look quite as clean but I bet I could .... the difference tween day and night are not THAT big ...color saturation ,contrast, color temp, would be the main 3....then brightness
mmmmmmm...... maybe I'm smellin ' a new project
they used to film night scenes in BW movies and even in a few old color ones in broad daylight !
just by filtering the camera lens red or blue and overexposing or under exposing depending on weather it was positive film (rarely) or neg. film in the camera at the time of shooting

Last edited:
heh! Nice work on the Eclipse.

Yes, I think a lot could be done by editing the panorama itself. It would be an interesting experiment. But no options built into the sim will let you make those kinds of adjustments.

Back