DE and MAX both expensive

FlameOn

I know of two ways to manipulate pivots and apply textures - 3DSMax and Deep Exploration. The first is megabucks, whist the second seems like it used to be shareware (I've seen references to $150.00 somewhere) and now seems to be $1squillion. I don't expect free software, however both of these are too expensive.

Is there any other software to manipulate pivots and apply textures? The pivots are really what want, the textures secondary. IU'm happy to pay up to $200.00 or so for good software. DE is good, and it'd be ideal, but out of my budget.

I'm using SolidWorks (we use it at work) and it's great for creating the solid models (really? - wow I wouldn't have guessed that ;->) and I was exporting VRML from SW and opening it in DE and doing the pivots and texture mapping (haven't quite got to the bottom of that yet) and then exporting the 3ds file and then doing a 3ds2kex conversion. It all worked great - until the DE trial ran out :(

FlameOn said:
and now seems to be $1squillion.
Is there any other software to manipulate pivots and apply textures? The pivots are really what want, the textures secondary.
Yes .............."Blender"....or so I'm told.......
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=23579
Here's were to get the FREE download for "Blender"........ :D
http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
FlameOn said:
I'm using SolidWorks (we use it at work)
Must be nice to get paid AND 3d model at the same time !...... where can I get that gig? :p

AAARRrrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!! Sorry Blender Dudes, I just can't handle the Blender. Seriously, I cannot handle that interface - I realise that it may be made for some people who are guns at keypresses and all, but I cannot use it. I have trouble opening a file in that. I need a program for slow people. There - I admitted it.

Maj. Numbskully said:
Must be nice to get paid AND 3d model at the same time !...... where can I get that gig? :p

Hahahaha - I wish it was better - I model PCB's and electronic components. I have learnt more about lofts and sweeps and complex shapes by modelling aircraft than I could ever hope to do at work. But who's complaining? It's better than a kick in the arse.

FlameOn said:
AAARRrrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!! Sorry Blender Dudes, I just can't handle the Blender. Seriously, I cannot handle that interface - I realise that it may be made for some people who are guns at keypresses and all, but I cannot use it. I have trouble opening a file in that. I need a program for slow people. There - I admitted it.
LOL...
I agree !!
don't get me wrong I'm NOT a "Blender dude"
(my turn to admit something: I'm not really even a "3d modeler dude"(yet) still just learning Wings 3d) :D
but do not like Blender's user Interface one bit!....
but you asked for a program that does pivot points .......on the cheap
so I thought I'd let you know about Blender.
and let you decide....
Sounds like you did ! :p

Last edited:
Back