Depth Buffers?

JTUTTLE11

I can't find any information on the proper use of Depth Buffers in the help file on my RFG4. Can anyone please tell me if they are necessary and what is their use and purpose? :confused:

They are useful when adding collision points on a Photofield.

Just make sure you change the properties "Render to Depth Buffer"
so that only the visual of the photograph is shown, not the Depth Buffer object.

Example,
Evergreen Airport, the depth buffers are the aar away trees to the pilot's right/rear.

Attachments

• Airport.jpg
    Airport.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 36
Check out some of the photofields that have trees in them. Have you noticed that you can actually fly behind the trees? That's because there are invisible objects placed there. This creates a mask that hides your plane but doesn't hide the background.

FYI: Any object available in the palette can be used as a depth buffer object. The ones that were designed specifically to be depth buffer objects were modeled with specific scenes in mind.

Speaking of which... I really wish we had chain-link fences! All the airfields near me use chain link fences to protect the pilot stations, and it's impossible to to a convincing photofield (or even 3D airport) without them.

TomXP411 said:
Speaking of which... I really wish we had chain-link fences! All the airfields near me use chain link fences to protect the pilot stations, and it's impossible to to a convincing photofield (or even 3D airport) without them.

Yes, we need more 3D airfield objects to be part of the standard G4 package.

Notice boards, frequency boards, chain link fences, porta potties, storage sheds, airplane hauling vehicles, concrete parking bumpers, run-up tables, etc.

Ideally you would have a parts inventory that would permit you to model just about any airfield.

Letting us import Kex objects to the palette would solve the problem. Then we could just design whatever we need.

I wonder if KE would accept user submissions for custom objects?

A while back I found several static airport objects that someone had designed for the RF sim that included motorcycles, auto, and planes. I haven't been able to locate it since.

Back