Designing Airports - Tips and Tricks

I don't know if there is anything similar to the intent of this thread. I would like to create a place for an on-going discussion of techniques used to create photo and 3D fields.

If you have a technique, tip or trick, please write about it here.

Try to keep the topic limited to this (Yeah Right!).

Last edited:
Depth Buffers - Folder Needed

One thing that puzzled me as I was setting up grass buffers at the edge of my new photo airfield was seeing where the buffers were and then hiding them.

You have to create a folder and put all the buffers into that folder...then use the following property to toggle hiding or displaying them; "Force Children to render to depth buffer". Toggling the folder's setting will turn on and off each individual object.

Some of the primitives (Cube, Cylinder, etc.) have their own similar render property, you can still use a folder to control a group of similar objects. Each objects "Render to Depth Buffer" property needs to be turned off in order to inherit the property from the folder.

Some of these objects are desired to be displayed on screen. For example, I use the cube primitive as a landing target in my heli fields, thus the need to set the property for individual objects.

Last edited:
Size of Panoramic Photo

The maximum size that I used to be able to import was 5000 x 10000 pixels. The raw size of the picture I am using in the latest field is; 21,482 x 9,566. That is a huge jump and the field picture quality has really jumped.

What pano head, camera and software are you using for the photos?

Last edited:
I guess that I am just talking to myself in here. I do think this topic belongs here.

I wish the depth buffer items allowed true sizing rather than scaling. For example; rather than having to put three each 3x3x0.3 wall buffers together you could just set the wall size at 9x3x0.3 or what ever dimensions you wish.

Same with the cube, and the house... I am sure that there are others. I don't know how hard that would be to accomplish.

You are wrong about this belonging here, it belongs in a sticky. I will be using this information to bring my local field into RF. That increase in resolution is awesome! It's paved and has taxiways right to the pits behind the paved flight line. You have to be on your game to stay on the taxiways, great taxi practice. The layout is better than any field in RF. I wish I could afford to have it professionally done, it's that good! I know, the driveways and parking in the overhead look like they were laid out by a wine o, I'm working on that too. :rolleyes: You're not alone here. I'm interested in every minute detail of the process and any tip that is offered up. The two circles on the first shot is the control line area. 440X 40 runway. There's even a good sized pond for float flying with a dock and shelter, but that's another pano.

Attachments

• wingmasters 1.jpg
    wingmasters 1.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 208
  • Wingmasters 2.jpg
    Wingmasters 2.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Wingmasters3.jpg
    Wingmasters3.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Wingmasters4.jpg
    Wingmasters4.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Professional Panoramas

I have learned so much about shooting panoramic scenes. It really takes a nice pano head, tripod and camera to make such a picture. When it is done, it is awesome.

Don't forget the software to stitch things together. To do this right take a bit of time and lurning. :)

Last edited:
We have a little over a hundred members in the club. Most of them own a digital camera. I own an older Minolta 35mm SLR with an array of lenses and and a small Sony pocket size 12 megapixel digital. What am I looking for to get the best results? This needs to be a high quality low bucks operation. I can't justify dropping a grand on equipment for such a limited use. I'm assuming a high quality Digital SLR is going to get the nod.

I bet the key is in that pano head. I bet my iPhone would do a decent job. I think a 12 megapixel point and shoot would do a fine job if we had someone who knew how to do it. I'll make Nooner a baloney sandwich lunch, you make him your finest chicken leg dinner, and we'll both treat him to the USAF museum?

Well, if you can't find a pano rig locally, I can send you one of my Nodal Ninjas to borrow.
Looks like it could be a real nice field.

It's a gorgeous field! But we can't tell KE that. They'll think we're biased. It's every bit as good as any photofield they've provided for us already. I did a mockup of it way back in G2. Built it out of 3D objects.

That's a very generous offer to loan out the pano head Phrank, Thank you. I went to their website and they have a lot of helpful information there. This seems to be the key to the project. Since KE upped the resolution, I wonder if I make a high resolution pano it will only work in RF6 or the other versions as well? One more question for someone with RF experience. The pond has about a ten foot rise behind the dock I plan to shoot from. The shelter in the google earth shot is actually dug into the slope on the back side. Do you think that is going to cause any issues? I'm guessing it's forty five feet behind the dock. The terrain on the other side of the pond is flat.

I've done a few fields where there are drops or uneven terrain with poor results.
There isn't really any hilltop capability to Photofields, and it is something that is really needed. (6.5 or Seven?) :p

Raised areas are fine.

Find a spot that is mainly flat.

Wouldn't you want to shoot the pics from one of the pilot stations? That's where you stand when you fly. That's the perspective you'd want, isn't it?

Bill I assume you are doing a finer job of creating your field? Be sure to add the "dead" zone at the far right end of the runway... I would also suggest you place some "clover" patches in there too ;) a haha. good times. This is all great stuff.

SHOULD BE A STICKY.

The new photo field is really awesome... incredible really.

I would like to know the maximum photo resolution...

I again want to mention to the KE people, the buffer primitives really need to be sizeable by individual dimensions, not just one size parameter.

Also need to take pano of a field on more than one occasion... morning, evening, summer, winter... this really makes you feel as if you are flying on your own field.

Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the generosity and support by you guys from coast to coast across the US for this project. I am getting very excited about getting started with my education. The weather is going to be horrid here in OH for a few months and there will soon be a few fields surrounded by palm trees that will be local to me. There is one little ball field down there that I fly helis on that is a drop dead gorgeous to fly on. The far end of the field is surrounded by sea wall on two sides with an anchorage for sailboats and about a half mile of open blue sky as a backdrop across the bay. There is nothing behind the heli for it to blend in with. This would also make an excellent park flyer and heli field unlike anything we have in RF. Here's the ball field. The pilot spawn is home plate the heli spawn is a portable heli pad near the pitchers mound. The street view is not great but it kind of gives a better feel for the place. Not that I would post a field that I thought was less than perfect, but something like this may give me a little practice this winter before I get to the prize this spring. There are also a few AMA fields in the area that could be candidates. Sparks Field being the closest. I may have to rethink Phranks generous offer on the nodal loan. There are three fields that could be done at Wingmasters if I included the heli area.

Attachments

• Ballfield 1.jpg
    Ballfield 1.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Ballfield 2.jpg
    Ballfield 2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Ballfield 3.jpg
    Ballfield 3.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Ballpark street view.jpg
    Ballpark street view.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Nooner, where are your creations? Those would be helpful as a learning tool. I promise I won't fly on them. Ya right. ;)

I think Nooner keeps his creations in the same place phrank keeps his. Wouldn't that be the mother lode if you could find it?!

Back