DH 98 Mosquito VT 589

I have built above trainer version with two electric motors at scale 1:9,15 based on scale drawings of late Brian Taylor.
I have discovered a Mosquito from Swap page on RFG5 page 1 designed by pmmATT, but I have couple of questions to ask.

A) When I tried to download the model I got a message "cannot do that because I do not have suitable application" in my Laptop. OK, where can I have application from to download?
B) Model is in G5, can it be used as such in 9,5s?

C) Data available and would be nice to fly equivalent in RF9,5s. What about to get my Mosse into RF but I do not have 3D-file from it.

Regards from Scandinavia.

Attachments

• IMG_20211122_130231.jpg
    IMG_20211122_130231.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211122_130110.jpg
    IMG_20211122_130110.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211122_121126.jpg
    IMG_20211122_121126.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 8
Thanks Bill. I know now how to import but after selecting Mosse from Swap page the response was: could not find contents file in index(1).
Import failed. Does this mean 2014 produced file does not exist anymore.

I don't know what else to suggest. Is this the model in question?
If that's the one, it downloads & installs in RF8 without error. I don't have 9.5s. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps there's some sort of translation problem with non-English language RF??? I've read other posts from non-English RF users that suggest that switching to English cured their problems. As a mono-lingual English speaker, I don't recall any details. But it might be worth a try.
P.S. I just imported it & didn't try to load/fly it until after I posted. That thing's HUGE & even though it imports & loads without error messages, there's something wrong with it. No sound, weird aerodynamics. It may just not be compatible with newer versions of RF without MAJOR adjustments.

Last edited:
The Mosquito was released in Realflight Expansion Pack #4, you could purchase a used Expansion Pack on Ebay and get the Mossy plus 13 other aircraft (see picture of list), or you could swap your RF9.5 key for the Steam key, then you should be eligible for the discounted price of $69.99 to purchase RF Evolution which has the Dehavilland Mosquito (8 foot wingspan and 31-onz loading), already included.
The model made by pmmATT loads as a 38-foot wingspan, 15-onz. loading, (it floats, does not fly realistically) but there is an AV available that performs a lot better, (DeHavilland DH 98 mosquito) 11.4-foot wingspan, and 38-onz loading.

Attachments

• Mosquito.jpg
    Mosquito.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Expansion Pack 4.jpg
    Expansion Pack 4.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 5
Hi Bill, yes that´s the one I am refering to. I am using English RF version. I will notice your comment.

Hi asj, ok I will look for Ebay. Regarding RF Evo Mosquito it would be closer to my built having 72inch wingspan and weight of 208oz which is however a bit over weight. Expansion pack#4 Mosquito is that 8foot wingspan one, is it not? Not so much keen on RF Evo just bought RF9,5s but...
If you refer 31onz loading as weight of the RC plane with 8foot wingspan it cannot be correct, would fiqure out 310 onz = oz is more realistic for 8foot wingspan RC Mosse, if made of balsa.
38foot Mosse is huge, bigger than my yacht and weight cannot be 15oz but anyway I skip that and try also AV which you mentioned. Where can I find out that? I went through swap pages and discovered only of pmmATT version. To use AV I will need EA anyway, don`t I. Hope Ebay can help.

My local hobby shop here in Canada shows Expansion Pack 4 in stock $17.99
Here is the link to their web site.
Click on the "Contact Us" tab and send a request to confirm in stock status, they usually reply within 24 hrs.

Last edited:
GPMZ4114 is correct for the Expansion pack 4.
Strange how some hobby shops still have stock on RF Expansion Packs, (search some in your area)
I purchased the Helicopters Mega pack at my local Hobby store about a month ago, and yes, it was brand new, unopened box.

Why don't I just modify the MOSQ Jan29 2014_07 scale EA and send you a copy.
If you can give me some details of your model, wingspan, weight of individual parts (wings, Fuselage Etc.) engines or motors size, I can try to trim the 38-foot EA to 8-foot model, so you can have some fun in the sim with the Mossy.
Your model looks great, make sure to post a video of it flying.

In fact I tried to import that 50% scale Mossie but I was unable to do it because... see my second post. I just wondering what did I do wrong.
I would love to have my Mossie flying in RF sim. I can provide data, how to send those to you, via this forum? Surely I will post a video next summer. Winter is coming now and fingers will be too cold to operate TX.

Can you post a screen shot of exactly what is on the screen one mouse click before you get the error message? And the error message itself? Is that the complete exact text of the error message? It's a PITA that Windows won't allow copy/paste of error messages.

That is strange you get an import error, after I exported the new EA, I deleted all the 2014 Mosq files and restarted RF, then imported the 50% mossy to confirm it worked, yes, it loaded and fly's good.
OH! I think I did the export from Evolution and imported back into Evo, I will test to see if it imports into RF9.5
Yes, The rfx file imports into RF 9.5 with no errors.
As @Bill Stuntz recommends, a screenshot of the error messages.
Have you tried selecting "Manage User files" select "Aircraft" click the plus sign next to "Imports" and scroll down to the Mosq 2014 model, select it and delete it, then restart RF 9.5, try the import again.

Attachments

• Mossy 2014-1.jpg
    Mossy 2014-1.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 4
I also want to see the EXACT command/mouseclick that causes the error to appear. Describing/paraphrasing the procedure and/or error isn't really good enough. In 30+ years servicing PC's, I can't even estimate the number of times I've seen the problem with my own eyes, and couldn't even imagine what was going on from the user's description until I actually saw it.

Sorry Bill, I do not know how to take a screenshot (nobody tougt that) but the path is: Sim>Input>RF Archive>RF9 file>RFX file: I entered copied link: ents/mosq-jan29-2014_7-0-jpg 100032/ from the picture and then click open. Nothing happens except at this point comes an error message "Could not find contents file in index(1). Import Failed." The text is inside a small window. Hope this helps.

To take a screen shot, press ctrl+printscreen on your KB. That should capture the screen to the clipboard. Paste it into paint or some other photo creation/editing software & save the file as a jpg image to attach it to your post.
For most users, the path should probably be C:\users\(you)\downloads unless you've directed your downloads somewhere else.
Here's what I get when I do that in RF8: note - I have a dual screen so both screens are visible in the screen shot.RF8.jpg

Last edited:
OK ajs5547, did what you proposed. Clicking MUF it opens window having: + "Aircrafts" and + "Airports" no "Imports". When I click +"Aircraft">custom and when custom is clicked RF aircraft file is opened showing listing the same models of which some I have been using by now. Nothing what you proposed can be done further.

Thank you Bill to tell me how to take a screen shot. I wish somebody had told me that a long, long, long time ago when PCs came into picture.
Could you fiqure out the message I posted you?

Please navigate to the point where you think the next click should actually import the model (and would probably generate the error message), take the screen shot, & post it here. I'm still running RF8, so I expect it to be a bit different than mine, but it should be similar.

You have to click on the "+" sign next to "Aircraft" and then click the + sign next to "Imported" to see the drop-down lists.
The "Custom" files are the Av's that have been applied to EA's, you should not need to open the custom files for what we are trying to do at the moment.

Back