digital distribution of upgrade

Is there any reason the upgrade version of RF6 or the Mega packs aren't being offer as a digital download? I already have a controller. All I need is the software and a serial key. I can download the software and have the serial key emailed to me. There isn't any need for me to, wait discs to be produced, wait for it to be in stock, either go to a store or pay shipping and wait for it to be shipped, Get the box, then install the software and serial key then toss the box and put the disk on a shelf never to be touched again. With digital distribution everyone who wants it could DL it 1min into the release date and not waste unneeded boxes and physical discs.

Brianappjj said:
With digital distribution everyone who wants it could DL it
If you ask me............not gonna happen
at least not for general consumption
probably for the reason you sighted :rolleyes:

I agree with the OP Digital Downloads would be easier

It would be nice for a Digital Download. The only Software i have purchased on Disc is RealFlight and X-Plane in the past 3 years, and X-plane is only on Disc because its almost 100GB in size on my HDD (6 compressed DVDs). Heck, my Windows 7 Pro, Office 2010, Both came direct from Microsoft Digitally and the 100+ games installed from Steam are ALL digital downloads. Only time i use my CD Rom is to A. Install Realflight/X plane B. make a backup copy of a Digital Download. C. Hold a beer (j/k :D ). Copy protection is a pretty weak excuse since most of your big companies offer most of their Software as a Digital download nowadays and send you a unique serial # that has to be verified by the Software manufacturer and we have to have the Hardware to go with the program with its unique identifier as well (interlink).

Also I am waiting till my LHS sells the Upgrade for 50 bucks instead of the $80 they are still asking so until then RF6 is a no go for me.

Very few issues, problems, or questions posted here have not been brought up before. I know I've seen this brought up in the past as well, going back a few years. But who knows? Maybe if the masses speak, KE/GP will have a change of heart.

Nothing wrong with digital downloads.

Nothing wrong with getting a disc either. They make good plinking targets after installation. :D

I am sure if you looked you could find the RF 6 software on a torrent right now. It is the serial key and the transmitter box that keeps the pirates from flooding working copies. I have a transmitter so all I need is the software (from a download) and the serial key (from email). You are buying the rights to use the software and the serial key is a way for the publisher to regulate it. The method of software delivery is irrelevant. There are several applications (steam for one) whose business is solely the digital distribution and DRM of software. It would just be nice to be able to order and use it instantly. It is the way everything is going. It is just a matter of time.

Nice, Brian. RF6 just came out and you seem to be advocating stealing it already? Be gone, ya scallywag. :mad:

No, I do not advocate stealing it. I have already paid for my copy. Just waiting for it to come through the mail. Torrents are just a fact of life. Weather I mention it or not will not change that. The hardware and serial keys keep the program secure, not the physical disc. I get it. Some people just don't like or see any advantage to digital distribution. Oh well, more business for the USPS.

Back