Discount for Recent RF8 Purchasers

kkrauss

Hello,

I purchased RealFlight 8 literally last week, and upon re-visiting the RealFlight site I saw that RF9 was due out soon. I'm very disappointed. Will there be a discounted upgrade path assuming I keep the same controller that came with RF8?

Thanks,

Kent

Hello,

I purchased RealFlight 8 literally last week, and upon re-visiting the RealFlight site I saw that RF9 was due out soon. I'm very disappointed. Will there be a discounted upgrade path assuming I keep the same controller that came with RF8?

Thanks,

Kent

FROM THE REALFLIGHT 9 WEBPAGE AT THE BOTTOM

If you purchased RealFlight 8 Horizon Hobby Edition after July 15, 2019 you are eligible to receive RealFlight 9 (RFL1101 or RFL1103) at no charge! Please contact us at websales@horizonhobby.com to begin the process. You will be asked to provide your RealFlight 8 and Horizon Hobby Edition serial numbers and a dated proof of purchase. Please allow 3-5 business days for response, and 7-14 business days to receive RF 9 after the request is processed and approved.

I purchased the full Realflight 8 package on july 30. My free Realflight 9 DVD is already on his way to Belgium after i have send my invoice to Horizon Hobby. Got a quick answer from them.

Yes i have to fly with the Interlink Controller ... but still happy with the free update to Realflight 9

Too bad HH did not also offer an Interlink upgrade for free, maybe plus shipping cost imho.

Is there a discounted upgrade price for anyone who purchased it less than a year ago? I bought mine in October of 2018 and then bought the Horizon Upgrade pack in May. $140 in software and there is no upgrade love? Kinda irritated with that option.

Is there a discounted upgrade price for anyone who purchased it less than a year ago? I bought mine in October of 2018 and then bought the Horizon Upgrade pack in May. $140 in software and there is no upgrade love? Kinda irritated with that option.

There is almost a year between .. NO .. there is no discount for it ...
You only could sell the RF8 to purchase the RF9

Can't sell it I got it on steam as well as the HHE edition. Thanks for putting so softly as well. Wasn't being a jerk was legitimately asking since its common practice to have discounted upgrades in the software world, been in it for 20+ years so its not unheard of.

There is almost a year between .. NO .. there is no discount for it ...
You only could sell the RF8 to purchase the RF9

Can't sell it I got it on steam as well as the HHE edition. Thanks for putting so softly as well. Wasn't being a jerk was legitimately asking since its common practice to have discounted upgrades in the software world, been in it for 20+ years so its not unheard of.

Who still gives discounts for owners of previous versions of their software nowadays? I've seen it happen 10+years ago in some instances, but never for games and it's certainly not normal for a company to do such a thing anymore.

Buy the Disc version next time and you'll be able to sell it at a later date to recoup some of costs associated with the purchase.

You can make a DVD from the digital download also but you gotta overburn a tiny bit on a DL blank.

Who still gives discounts for owners of previous versions of their software nowadays? I've seen it happen 10+years ago in some instances, but never for games and it's certainly not normal for a company to do such a thing anymore.

Buy the Disc version next time and you'll be able to sell it at a later date to recoup some of costs associated with the purchase.

Who still buys discs anymore, I haven't had a cd/dvd drive in 4 years.

If you don't think there is upgrade pricing thats exactly what DLC is just masked differently. They could also release additional DLC for RF8 and keep that ecosystem alive longer as well. I'd certainly spend $30 on additional planes and content if available, I did it when they released the HHE Version.

Upgrade pricing has become a much more rare option, but there are still plenty out there. The Subscription method is much preferred and how I do a lot of things now personally, I'd sign up for that if they were going to do regular content updates and releases.

I also don't consider this a game. Its a training tool as well as a way to introduce other people to the hobby.

I get it as well I'm an Indie Game Developer we've been reduced to bugging the crap out of people with ads in order to make a buck which drives me insane.

I have no issue at all paying for software, that would be pretty hypocritical of me being a developer. All I did was ask a question and expressed as a consumer that it kinda irritated me. Never once did I trash Knife Edge.

I understand exactly what they are going through with software releases and the amount of time and resources they have had to put in to get this release out and the fact that they software/game has a relatively small niche compared to the overall game market and they've done a good job of carving that niche out, thats why I've been with them since G5. Maybe I came off more frustrated than I was, its a downside of the internet and my smart-alec attitude. I applaude what they have done and will still likely end up buying the software from them just at a later date than I originally hoped or maybe I won't thankfully thats my choice as a consumer. It's also my right to express frustration just as it is for you to respond to my comments as you've done.

Now that you haven't read this far down TL;DR ha enjoy the new version of the software.

Free update is not so 'free'

According the website i was eligible for free updates of my RealFlight 8 to version 9:

If you purchased RealFlight 8 Horizon Hobby Edition after July 15, 2019 you are eligible to receive RealFlight 9 (RFL1101 or RFL1103) at no charge!

After i have send my invoices of the RealFlight 8 i got the my order, free of charge to version 9: (invoices $ 0,0)

Today i reicived my order and hase to pay 46,52 EURO import taxes because on the box there was a value of $ 99,99

On my personal invoice there is a value of $ 0,0 !! Why is this not on the shipping documents so i don’t have to pay import taxes?!

Also, my original Realflights 8 came from a shop in Europe (no extra taxes) Why din’t they send my FREE updates from Europe instead of the USA?

I want hard copies of the software. When programs disappear off the internet. You cannot recover. I want CD/DVD software. I hate when updates are only available by download. I never know what I am going to need in the future. I keep computers running almost all flavors of windoz.

I am the only one who read all the way to the bottom. I had to take some meth to do it. :)

Who still buys discs anymore, I haven't had a cd/dvd drive in 4 years.

I also don't consider this a game. It's (sp) a training tool as well as a way to introduce other people to the hobby.

Now that you haven't read this far down TL;DR ha enjoy the new version of the software.

The digital download is just a self-extracting exe file. You can unpack it with 7-zip or whatever and burn an install DVD. I would think the Steam serial would work with it just fine. It never hurts to have a physical backup.

Ya, I prefer s hard copy as well. That’s why I bought the RF9 combo. Funny thing was the DVD was corrupt so I ended up having to download it from the Realflight website, lol!

I actually wish more suppliers would ship their software on USB sticks or SD cards.

I want hard copies of the software. When programs disappear off the internet. You cannot recover. I want CD/DVD software. I hate when updates are only available by download. I never know what I am going to need in the future. I keep computers running almost all flavors of windoz.

I am the only one who read all the way to the bottom. I had to take some meth to do it. :)

I just back all of that stuff up to cloud storage and multiples if its real important. I get wanting something physical. I've had to adjust myself, I work in a very digital environment, so its become second nature. Most hardware manufactures have moved away from building laptops with drives in them anymore so its been some what forced.

plus any game I produce is pushed through either apple or google so I don't have a choice in the medium my games come out on.

haha proud of you reading all the way to the bottom. Sorry it fed into your meth habit. :)

Back