Does RF8 mean RF-X is dead

Does going back and developing RF8 mean that the RFX line is being canceled? I thought RFX was a rebuilding of their simulation code and was to be their new simulator line going forward and the RF 5,6,7.. code was ending development. At least that is what their press releases suggested. RF8 and RFX seem to be basically the same product with RF8 adding features to RF7 and RFX being an update to the entire code base. Do they plan to support and continue development for both? There doesn't seem to be a lot of positive reaction to RFX and now that RF8 is out there I don't see much support for RFX.
It looks to me that RFX was an attempt to reworking the code base that looked good on paper but disappointed the user base. With such a bad reaction they went back on their plans to drop support for the old code and brought back development on the RF7 base.
I liked the idea of dropping 10, 15... year old code and starting from scratch targeting current technology. It just looks like they aimed too high on their hardware requirements or didn't do any research on what hardware their user base has.
So, is RFX now dead or do they plan to sell two versions of the main simulator?

This has been asked and answered several times. Jim even announced that an update would be available by the end of this year. The VR added to RF-X is said by him to be fantastic, but will require an expensive fast machine to run.

RF-X is alive and well. Stay tuned.

After the holiday sales figures come in I have a feeling there will be a shift of development staffing. Any update due the end of this year has probably been in the works for a while already. We will see but I doubt there will be a RFX 2.

After the holiday sales figures come in I have a feeling there will be a shift of development staffing. Any update due the end of this year has probably been in the works for a while already. We will see but I doubt there will be a RFX 2.

I don't expect RF-X2 but I do expect a significant update which could be named RFX 1.5. Give them some time to get it out I think it will be a nice update and bring some stuff we want.. and I've been hard on them about RF-X. I don't expect a super increase in rendering speed but I expect some improvements in it. I also expect a water field of some sort with the water physics fixed of course. Yes VR will be there but Jim has already stated the obvious to me, it will need the very top CPU with lots of Memory and the top GPU available to run decently.

I don’t think RF-X is a dead end. I only see a line moving exponentially skyward. It is the future of simulators. As more content becomes available, and computers double in power and the price of high end graphics cards drop.... watch out. Until then, there will be early adopters that want the leading edge software.

Scoff if you like, you know I am right.

I don’t think RF-X is a dead end. I only see a line moving exponentially skyward. It is the future of simulators. As more content becomes available, and computers double in power and the price of high end graphics cards drop.... watch out. Until then, there will be early adopters that want the leading edge software.

Scoff if you like, you know I am right.

That really depends , it can't really be the future if it has no base. Small software developers really have limits on the amount they can dump into a project before abandoning it. The future of RFX probably depends more on the commitment to the current engine as far as licensing goes.

Actually an unforseen problem is that the price drop on high end cards and memory is not happening due to the bit coin miners buying cards to use in their setups.

The biggest problem that I see is that the rfx graphics engine does not give the quality of results that it should for the amount horsepower that it requires. I realize its a simulator so there is some extra math in there, but there is nothing shown in that product that should need a high power rig.

Either the graphics engine was a poor choice or the its not optimised properly or something, compared to everything else out on the market, other software developers are showing nicer graphics with lower horsepower.

So it might be the future, but if it is, it might be the end of knife edge unless they can solve the problems it has. The other bad thing is a product is only new once. Even if they continue with the rfx game code, they may need to rename it so that people don't realize they are buying the rfx product.

the pc industry (especially gaming) is a harsh one

mickey

Back