Down time.

Bill Stuntz

There's no real place for this, but... I wonder why the forum was down for about 45 minutes. Did something go wrong, or was it just routine mainitenance? I'm just curious, for no particular reason. Or maybe I'm just nosy. The layout has changed, so it was probably an upgrade.

Last edited:
Sort of encouraging to see any activity with RF. Especially keeping this forum updated (and active) !
Next I would like to see (hear) RF-10 ... or any update to the graphics engine !!!!!

Yep, it was time for a Xenforo update. :)

I don't mind sharing a bit of related news, though: we (Horizon Hobby) will be keeping these forums and the swap pages! They will change a little to go from Knife Edge forums to RealFlight forums, and you will get to them via a new URL, but it will otherwise be the exact same system underneath. You'll simply continue using your existing account and everything.

We will give you advance warning as that transition time gets near.

Yep, it was time for a Xenforo update. :)

I don't mind sharing a bit of related news, though: we (Horizon Hobby) will be keeping these forums and the swap pages! They will change a little to go from Knife Edge forums to RealFlight forums, and you will get to them via a new URL, but it will otherwise be the exact same system underneath. You'll simply continue using your existing account and everything.

We will give you advance warning as that transition time gets near.
Good to hear thanks for the information Ryan.

We actually have additional Xenforo updates coming, so don't be surprised or concerned if you see more changes or if there is a little more downtime.

Hi Ryan, a little off topic here, but I just want some conformation on something, ...... I`m just curious if users of RF 9.5s can import EA`s, CS`s, and AV`s that are created in/and uploaded into/onto the swaps from RF 9.5. I`m asking because I`m still using 9.5. I`m "guessing" they can, ???? but not sure :unsure: :unsure:

I'm thinking Ryan may be gone again, so I'm going to put my 2 cents worth in, and expand a little on your question. I'm still running RF8, so I'm only passing on what I've read here. My understanding is that they function exactly the same way, but that the exact file locations may have changed. The steam location can be accessed via "Manage User Files" in the Simulation menu.

My expansion on your question: Does RF9->RF9.5S take custom content with it like RF7->RF7.5, or will custom content need to be re-imported like the RF7->RF8 upgrade? Unk, I think you might like an answer to that question, too.

P.S. Needless to say, Ryan is free to confirm, deny, or tell me I'm an idiot for trying to answer a question with no first-hand knowledge. ?

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, I was guessing they could be shared, wasn`t sure how. Your guess is a good as mine regarding custom content.... :unsure: :unsure:

Again, no first-hand knowledge... My understanding is that DVD->Steam conversion is irreversible. I'm unclear whether the conversion deactivates the DVD version or just prevents re-installation/activation on a different PC. You probably want to wait for a better answer unless Ryan or someone who has actually done it chimes in.

Yeah, that`s my understanding as well regarding your first sentence. I`m not sure either regarding the rest.... :unsure:

RealFlight 9.5S is still within the RealFlight 9 major version family. As far as the swap pages are concerned it is a newer version of 9.5. It doesn't have its own dedicated icon or area.

All content from previous versions of RF will work in 9.5S (with the usual caveats about things designed for older versions likely not behaving as intended in more recent versions).

9.5S uses the exact same Documents\RealFlight 9 path as all previous versions of RF9 (both Steam and DVD/Tower Digital editions). As long as you don't uninstall your non-Steam version and tell it to remove your custom content along with it, everything will simply be present in 9.5S.

The RealFlight serial number to Steam key exchange is exactly that: an exchange. You are literally trading your serial number for a Steam key. Obviously we're not making anybody mail in their DVDs or anything, but at that point they aren't useful except as souvenirs. The serial number can't be used any more. It is a one-way process.

An existing, functioning non-Steam installation should continue to operate as long as it is left alone, though I can conceive of circumstances in which that could change. I would recommend uninstalling the earlier version first then installing 9.5S from Steam. You could back up your RealFlight.ini first to preserve your various settings and other things, and be sure to leave the custom content removal option unchecked.

Back