Extra NG

It’s a filter. You select an area, go filter >lights and shadows > drop shadow and set the parameters. It’ll generate and create a new layer. In the newer gimp versions it’ll give a preview which helps dial it in, but that’s also the version that screwed me.
Thanks Andy, I`ll look into that... (y) (y) :)

Tonight's progress. The CS is coming along nicely, and is almost complete. Still have the bottom to complete, and a couple minor adjustments to remove some bleeding at mapping borders. I have run into a couple places that aren't mapped correctly, and I plan to add a few things, but these are minor inconveniences at this point. Once I get all of this taken care of, I believe all that will remain before final export will be naming and linking of parts, and assigning an alpha material to the canopy glass. So, this one is finally getting close to physics setup (an area that I absolutely suck at BTW) and release.

Attachments

• 1mapped.jpg
    1mapped.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 2mapped.jpg
    2mapped.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 19
Very cool Andy, I really like the text/font you added to the wings and the graphics to the fuse are excellent. I`m looking forward to seeing this one in RF, especially to check out the CS, it fits the the plane to a tee. On a side note, I played with the drop shadow tool in Gimp today, I was successful at applying it, maybe a CS or an idea will come along in the future where I can apply it. :unsure: The preview function worked fine for me BTW.

Thanks UT. Glad you were able to get the drop shadow to work. I really liked the preview myself, and may give that version a try again on my next project but with the save issue I had this time I don’t want to risk losing my work on this one again. The text is a font I found online somewhere called trade winds. I use it a lot for other stuff and it just seemed to fit here as well.

Last edited:
So, it doesn't look like much, but there's quite a bit of fine tuning things that went on tonight. Little tweaks here and there to clean the lines up more. After I got all that like I wanted, I finished out the bottom of the cowling, and added an instrument panel. I found this graphic of an actual full scale NG and it fits perfectly with the dash I modeled so I must be doing something right. 😁 :ROFLMAO: I'll go back over the CS closer next time, but I think I'm going to call it done for the most part. I still have to map the little fairings on the main gear where it meets the fuselage, and I think I may map the pilot and carbon fiber formers behind the pilot as well. The rest will be baked because well, I'm just lazy when it comes to that part of the program.

Anyway, here's tonight's renders. One thing I found out tonight is it takes FOREVER to render glass for some reason. The first was a 40 minute render while the other two only took about 3-4 minutes each. When I get everything done and ready for final import, I'm actually going to try and setup the render scene to get realistic pics. All of what you see now is basic lighting, minor material settings, and simple. I would've had to work for an hour or two to set this up in Max. This setup took MAYBE 10 minutes with absolutely no research on how everything works, so I'm getting anxious to see what I can end up with as an end result after actually trying a little harder.

Attachments

• 4mapped.jpg
    4mapped.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 5mapped.jpg
    5mapped.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 6mapped.jpg
    6mapped.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 14
So, it doesn't look like much, but there's quite a bit of fine tuning things that went on tonight. Little tweaks here and there to clean the lines up more. After I got all that like I wanted, I finished out the bottom of the cowling, and added an instrument panel. I found this graphic of an actual full scale NG and it fits perfectly with the dash I modeled so I must be doing something right. 😁 :ROFLMAO: I'll go back over the CS closer next time, but I think I'm going to call it done for the most part. I still have to map the little fairings on the main gear where it meets the fuselage, and I think I may map the pilot and carbon fiber formers behind the pilot as well. The rest will be baked because well, I'm just lazy when it comes to that part of the program.

Anyway, here's tonight's renders. One thing I found out tonight is it takes FOREVER to render glass for some reason. The first was a 40 minute render while the other two only took about 3-4 minutes each. When I get everything done and ready for final import, I'm actually going to try and setup the render scene to get realistic pics. All of what you see now is basic lighting, minor material settings, and simple. I would've had to work for an hour or two to set this up in Max. This setup took MAYBE 10 minutes with absolutely no research on how everything works, so I'm getting anxious to see what I can end up with as an end result after actually trying a little harder.
That looks great !!!

Man, this plane looks AMAZING Andy !!! (Like I haven`t said that yet, LOL) GREAT renders. The Inst. panel looks great as well, I did the same thing with my Inst. panel CS on the FW 190, found a great pic., copied it, and applied it to the .TGA. It fit really fit nice (like yours) and looked a ton better than the blurry mess of an Inst. panel they had. Anyway, thanks for all the updates, keep them coming, and can`t wait to see your "improved" renders, after "trying as little harder". I don`t know if its been asked and/or answered yet, but have you decided on a wingspan yet ??

Originally it was supposed to be 104”. After setting it in RF though, I’m not sure. It almost looks full scale at that size. I’ll decide that later on but I am open to opinions.

I`m looking at your 40% Pitts right now, and that`s a nice is size, not sure what that WS is though, and then Tech. just released his "Techair Commander" which does have an 84 in. WS, (looks close to your Pitts), that also is a nice size for the sim. But 104 in. would be full scale for some models out there. Maybe somewhere in between ..???? :unsure: :unsure:

I guess I'll chime in on this. I used to like large planes and made a lot of them 120 or larger and then I went down to 96 to 108. But these days I like to fly a plane in the Sim that looks like a model not a huge plane so I started modeling them at 84 inches, which is a nice size, plenty large enough to see, but not huge. Right now the Fly Baby Bipe is at 84 inches. I was thinking the Pitts you made last was 87 inches. (not sure)

Won’t be much work done in this the next few days. Between my daughters out of town softball games, and the turbo on my truck going out for the third time in two months, my plate is going to be full. In the meantime, I’ll open it up for discussion some. Extreme flight released a 104, 91, 78, and 60” versions of the NG. 104 just looks too large in RF to me but let’s take a vote. Of the four sizes listed, which would you like to see this be released as? I invite even the silent members to give input as well because in the end, it’s made for everyone here, not just me.

Hmmmm, well if your desire is to release it one of those four wing spans, I`ll vote four the 91", still a larger size, but not to large IMHO. 78" is starting to get on the smaller size visually in RF. But, if you`re willing to deviate a little, somewhere around 84"-86" would look great. In the meantime, enjoy your daughters softball game. Wish I could help you with the turbo, sounds like it`s time for a "NEW" turbo, not rebuilt.

Yeah 78 is getting a bit small in RF but it's still a decent size. I wonder what size is the most popular one they sell, is there any way to find that out? But 91 would be a good size I almost went with 90 inches for the Fly Baby Bipe. Which is right in between the 84 it is now and the 96 I thought looked too big. It still could end up at 90 after I map and paint it and look at it in RF after the color scheme is finished.

I'm calling the CS done on this one. I've still got to do a little baking on smaller parts, setup the smoothing on the pilot, collision mesh, and link parts, but that won't take long at all. It'll then be time to import into RF and start the physics. After all was said and done, I decided not to map the pilot. I tried and just couldn't get it to my liking. I will most likely change his colors to better match this CS, so sorry to anyone doing a CS for it in the future. Anyway, the next update will probably show it in RF. I'll do the spec map once I get it imported and physics close to done.

Quick question. Anyone happen to have this particular model that would like to help in getting physics dialed in?

Attachments

• 1_final.jpg
    1_final.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2_final.jpg
    2_final.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 3_final.jpg
    3_final.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 4_final.jpg
    4_final.jpg