Feature suggestion: a way to assess a proper landing

jdouglasj

I like RF9 so far, but it is lacking in the primary things an RC simulation should be able to do for beginners: give users an accurate assessment of their landings. I can slam a plane onto the ground in RF9 and it looks like a perfectly good landing. If I did the same thing in the real world I would have a seriously damaged plane on my hands.

This isn't hard to program. You know the rate of descent, the speed, etc. It's not like you have to program a crash each time, but I would love it if you provided a number to indicate whether it was a gentle landing, a dangerously hard landing, or a crash. The more gradations, the better.

I understand what you're saying but in KnifeEdge's defense their user base wants it to run perfectly on the cheapest laptop they can find so programing a perfect simulation is hard. You can see the landing and judge it's harshness yourself.

Well, not for beginners, but one could edit a copy of an aircraft to tweak the component strength (landing gear?). So if it was less than perfect, it would break off....

I like RF9 so far, but it is lacking in the primary things an RC simulation should be able to do for beginners: give users an accurate assessment of their landings. I can slam a plane onto the ground in RF9 and it looks like a perfectly good landing. If I did the same thing in the real world I would have a seriously damaged plane on my hands.

This isn't hard to program. You know the rate of descent, the speed, etc. It's not like you have to program a crash each time, but I would love it if you provided a number to indicate whether it was a gentle landing, a dangerously hard landing, or a crash. The more gradations, the better.
Wow, just WOW. I cannot believe someone wrote that. Some say that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. I don’t want to say how stupid this, so I won’t.

Wow, just WOW. I cannot believe someone wrote that. Some say that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. I don’t want to say how stupid this, so I won’t.
12oclockhigh, let me get this straight, you think it is stupid to suggest that a landing that would break the landing gear off an RC plane in the real world, should replicate similar results in RF9?

Well, not for beginners, but one could edit a copy of an aircraft to tweak the component strength (landing gear?). So if it was less than perfect, it would break off....
I tried this to no effect. I went into landing gear in the edit aircraft function and changed it from 100% to 50% but it didn't make a difference. Then again, I'm probably doing it wrong. Any ideas?

12oclockhigh, let me get this straight, you think it is stupid to suggest that a landing that would break the landing gear off an RC plane in the real world, should replicate similar results in RF9?
No, I am saying a newbie has the unmitigated gall to come in and tell us all we don’t know what we are doing. Then cannot figure out how to reduce the strength of the landing gear. I can see a good landing and recognize the gentle touchdown in the center of the field with the correct azimuth. Landing with runway to spare. I don’t need a rating system patting me on the back and giving me a participation trophy. I just did it over and over until I got it right, just like everyone else.

No, I am saying a newbie has the unmitigated gall to come in and tell us all we don’t know what we are doing. Then cannot figure out how to reduce the strength of the landing gear. I can see a good landing and recognize the gentle touchdown in the center of the field with the correct azimuth. Landing with runway to spare. I don’t need a rating system patting me on the back and giving me a participation trophy. I just did it over and over until I got it right, just like everyone else.
You're a bit of a loon. You know that, right?

Back