Field Radio Settings - Post Your Success Stories

swanley007

Hello All,

This post is one that I am creating to help those that are utilizing their own field radios in RealFlight. This post will be similar to the router configurations thread that was started. If you have a successful set-up that is not already here, please feel free to post it, so that other may benefit.

**Please do not turn this thread into a discussion for or against using your own field radio. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I do truly respect that, but I feel that this thread could become a resource for those wanting to use their own radios.

Thank You All in Advance!

If you are having difficulty using your own R/C radio through the built in interface on the USB InterLink Controller, here are a few tips that should help you overcome most of the difficulties users encounter:

1. Make sure you radio is set to PPM or FM mode and not PCM. Your radio will NOT work with the built in interface on the InterLink Controller if it is in PCM mode. Refer to your Radio's manual for instructions on how to set your radio correctly to FM or PPM mode.

2. Ensure that your transmitter batteries are fully charged. If your transmitter did not "power up" automatically when the interface cord was inserted, turn the transmitter power "on" at this time.

3. If you are using a transmitter which requires the use of a small "pigtail" adapter ( i.e. Futaba, Airtronics, HiTec, etc.) between the main interface adapter cord and the trainer port on your R/C radio, unplug this "pigtail" from the main interface adapter cord. Firmly re-attach this "pigtail" to the main adapter cord, listening for an audible "click" confirming that a proper connection is completed. Likewise, momentarily unplug the "pigtail" adapter from your R/C radio and firmly re-attach it to your R/C radio.

4. It has to be able to connect to the Interlink controller with one of the adapters( the longer cable ).

5. Please also be aware that there is more to using your own R/C radio with RealFlight than just attaching it to the InterLink Controller with the provided adapter cords. Make sure that you are also "telling" the software what you are doing, since RealFlight has no way of "knowing" when you want to use your own R/C radio instead of the InterLink Controller. Here is how to do this:

6. Once you have your R/C radio properly connected to the InterLink Controller, you will want to start up RealFlight (if it is not already running). Select the "Controller" menu, then click"Select Controller". From the "Select Controller" window select your transmitter not Currently, you should have "InterLink Controller (Joystick Mode)" selected. "Joystick Mode" means that the software is (currently) looking for the InterLink Controller, not your R/C radio (this is the default setting).

7. In the transmitter, ensure that you have a blank model set-up for RealFlight specifically, and that all channel mixing is disabled or inhibited. Also, if you transmitter is so equipped, ensure you are in training mode, and/or software radio.

Jr X9503

1) Ensure you have a blank aircraft model
2) Leave it in SOFTWARE RADIO

Model Type: ACRO

DeviceSEL:
Gear - Gear SW
Flap - Flap SW
Aux2 - Aux2 SW
Aux3 - Flap LEV
Aux4 - Mix SW

Out: set all to ACT, Flap to SYS.

You must also make changes under travel adjust in the 9503 in order to get full functionality in RealFlight; set everything to 110%. Before that I'd toggle a switch and nothing would happen, or I couldn't get full response from the throttle on some models.

In RealFlight under Channel Mapping:

Channel:.......Reversed:......Map to:
1.......................................Channel 3 - Throttle
2........................X.............Channel 1 - Roll
3.......................................Channel 2 - Pitch
4........................X.............Channel 4 - Yaw
5........................X.............Channel 5 - Dual Rates
6........................X.............Channel 8 - 3 Pos. Switch
7.......................................Channel 9
8........................X.............Channel 6 - Knob
9........................X.............Channel 7 - Smoke

Thank You to Mr. GS for providing this information to me. This post should be an example of what the thread should be like.

Thank You All!

Last edited:
Heli-Max 5 Channel FM Radio

**This controller does not work very well, as it has channel mixing always on. I did get it to a playable control by doing the following:

I have the IDLE UP Switch in the up position

1.......................................Channel 6 - Knob
2........................X.............Channel 2 - Pitch
3.......................................Channel 3 - Throttle
4.......................................Channel 4 - Yaw
5.......................................Channel 5 - Dual Rates
1.......................................Channel 1 - Roll
7........................X.............Channel 7 - Smoke

Thank You All!

Spektrum DX6I

The procedure to use a Spektrum for basic use is.

1. Set up a new model just for use with RealFlight. It should be an airplane with no special wing mixing. This
way if you need to change trim or throws, you will not have to change the settings for your aircraft.

2. Make sure that the transmitter is turned off, and plug the adapter cord into the trainer port. This will turn on
the transmitter in trainer mode.

3. Go to the Controller Menu and select the Interlink transmitter. If you have G4, you should validate the
controller before selecting the transmitter.

4. Go to Channel Mapping under the Controller Menu. Change the values in the left column
Line 1 (Roll) to 2
Line 2 (Pitch) to 3
Line 3 (Throttle) to 1

Line 1 (Roll) should be reversed
Line 4 (Yaw) should be reversed

5. Make sure that one of the switches on the transmitter will control Channel 7 (Smoke). You may need to
change the value in the left column to 5 or 6 to get control of that channel.

6. Exit Channel Mapping and go to Controller Calibration to calibrate the transmitter.

7. The transmitter is now ready for RealFlight. The spacebar can be used to reset after a crash.

There are more advanced setup procedures at www.knifeedge.com . If you search the forums for Spektrum you will find several threads about setting up the transmitters to work with RealFlight. Here are some of the better threads - http://ironcreek.net/dx6i/plane.php - https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=19998

Thank You All!

Spetrum DX7

THIS IS NOT MY POST, BUT PULLED FROM THE FORUMS IN ANOTHER THREAD.
THE LINK TO THAT POST IS:

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=16521&highlight=Spektrum

Not about a DX6, but I hooked up my DX7 and used it. Here's my observations. First, like a JR, it needs to be powered off when you plug in the cable (the unit that's powered off is the trainer's unit, the one powered on is the teachers unit, and you want it to act like it's the trainer's). If you want to be able to use anything other than just the normal flight controls, like flaps or smoke or langing gear, then don't use either of the P-Link modes in the trainer selection screen, use normal mode instead (or you can leave trainer mode turned off entirely, when you plug in a trainer cable with the power switch turned off, my controller automatically goes into trainer mode as the slave).

I would highly recommend that you set up one model in your controller solely for the purpose of interacting with RealFlight. Here's why. If you use a model memory slot that is also used to control a real plane, and you have adjusted the end points of your servos for that model, then when you calibrate the controller in real flight, the channels that don't have a stick to them (gear, flaps, and aux2 in my case) will *not* get calibrated correctly. For example, if you have set the end point on your elevator servo to be 125% of normal, then after calibration, RealFlight will think your gear flap is at 80% when activated, not 100%. I can't be sure, but I think RF assumes that when one channel goes up to some high servo activation level, that the highest one it sees during calibration is the max output for all the non-stick based channels. So, in the model memory that I set aside for controlling Real Flight, I made sure that all my sub trims were set to 0, all my travel adjustments were set to 100%, and all my dual rates/exponentials were set to provide at most no more than 100% servo travel (so high rate goes from nothing to 100%, low rate goes from nothing to 67% in my setup).

Once you have the model setup, turn the transmitter off, plug in the link cable from the interlink controller, and do the normal stuff the instructions say to calibrate the controller. The one tip I have here is that when you get to the screen in real flight where it tells you to move the sticks in several circles, also throw the switches for the 2 other channels. This seems to help them get calibrated more accurately, but that could just be my imagination.

Once that's done, if your DX6 is like my DX7, you aren't quite finished. The channels from my DX7 do not map to what RF thinks they should. So, I had to go into Controller->Channel Mapping and reset the mapping to get things to work. Here's what I used:

Channel 1 -> no Reverse -> Channel 3 - Throttle
Channel 2 -> Reverse -> Channel 1 - Roll
Channel 3 -> no Reverse -> Channel 2 - Pitch
Channel 4 -> Reverse -> Channel 4 - Yaw
Channel 5 -> Reverse -> Channel 7 - Smoke (this is the channel I would guess you are most likely to not use having only a 6 channel transmitter, so you may have to move the items I have on channel 6 and 7 around to 5 and 6 in order to get things to work like you want)
Channel 6 -> Reverse -> Channel 6 - Knob
Channel 7 -> Reverse -> Channel 8 - 3-Pos. Switch

With that mapping, I can fly the P-51 Mustang and gear does gear, flaps does flaps, and aux2 does smoke. I set up the controller itself so that the dual rates on the controller is controlled by the elevator D/R switch so it would match the interlink's D/R switch location.

My only complaint with this setup is that it occasionally has little glitches in the control inputs. I don't know why the DX7 as a trainer has glitches, I assume it has something to do with the signals going over the trainer cable because in actual usage with a real plane my DX7 has been 100% glitch free.

Anyway, HTH.

Futaba SkySport 6A

2...........................X...........Channel 2 - Pitch
3...........................X...........Channel 3 - Throttle
5.......................................Channel 7 - Smoke
6.......................................Channel 6 - Knob
7.......................................Channel 5 - Dual Rates

Thank You All!

Futaba FP-T8UAP

To set up this radio, I Inhibited all mixing and set PMIX-1 to AIL -> AIL. I set up a blank aircraft (MDL-28) in my case and use Model 0. The mapping is as follows. Some controls are the knobs at the top instead of switches, but works great.

2........................X.............Channel 2 - Pitch
3.......................................Channel 3 - Throttle
5.......................................Channel 5 - Dual Rates
6.......................................Channel 6 - Knob
7.......................................Channel 7 - Smoke
8.......................................Channel 8 - 3-Pos. switch
9.......................................Channel 9 - Channel 9

Thank You All!

DX7 450 HELI <> RF Dominion 3D Flybarless

The DX7 is in trainer slave mode. Power off. My DX7 radio is setup and flys my Align Trex 450 SE at the field without any changes. Note: only channel 4 is reversed on the DX setup affecting the RF channel assignment reverse selection.

1) In RF in the aircraft file set the radio to "PASS THROUGH” This PASS is needed to eliminate the 3 position switch input effect on the inputs from the radio that has it's own three modes, mixes, expos, and changing the pitch curves.

KE: This setting should be made available (temporary override aircraft setting) and evident at the Channel Mapping page. Selection of the radio does not do this automatically; incase users want to use a basic radio three position switch input to get the computer effect for modes from RF. This would make the setup more intutive and avoided others following my learning curve.

All modes, Exponentials and trim come from the DX7.
Performance expos are at 80% and 100% travels.
Soft hover expos are at 60% at 60 % travel. Tail control is always full 100% travel with no expo available.

Standard three flight modes
1) Pitch and throttle coupled in positive pitch up direction only so the motor slows to idle at a low pitches. This gives you smooth hover and off for landing but looses the momentum quick response security of the next modes throttle lock.
2) Upright performance mode throttle locked to a minimum of around half. Some negative pitch added for rolls but will only sustain upside down hover position.
3) 3D maximum: Throttle full up at top and at bottom and about half at center. The pitch is maximum negative at bottom, neutral at center and maximum positive at top of the throttle stick throw.

CHANNEL ASSIGNMENTS

Channel Reverse Map To
2...............X..............1
4*.............................4
7...............X..............7
*DX7 sends this reversed from my radio setup.

The head speed units RPM throttle control makes the fuel helicopter respond like the electric with direct current (instant torque) control that the electric gives.

My next objective is to modify this file or change RF models to one without RPM control. As my Vigor 60 or XL Pro II 60 does not yet have RPM control.

Last edited:
JR 12x radio config for RealFlight

I do have one question about setting up the JR 12x radio.... How to "reset" the model back to the runway.

Sometimes, the model will reset if I hit the space bar on my computer, sometimes nothing will work and I have to bring up the "edit model" screen, then close it for the aircraft to reset on the runway.

Other than that, all channels and mixes are working great.

Oddly enough though, when I connect the 12x, Realflight thinks it's really the enhanced 8-channel controller.

Last edited:
Hmm, sounds like you're bypasing the interlink with that "other" software. ;)
The reset is either the RED BUTTON or the Spacebar. You cannot assign it to the JR.

reyn3545 said:
I do have one question about setting up the JR 12x radio.... How to "reset" the model back to the runway.

Sometimes, the model will reset if I hit the space bar on my computer, sometimes nothing will work and I have to bring up the "edit model" screen, then close it for the aircraft to reset on the runway.

Other than that, all channels and mixes are working great.

Oddly enough though, when I connect the 12x, Realflight thinks it's really the enhanced 8-channel controller.

I'm not running any other "software"... just plugged the 12x into the G3 controller with the adapter cord (I'm running the G5 upgrade, which still uses the G3 controller).

Sometimes, the space bar works, but most of the time, I have to bring up the airplane edit window, then close it. It;s not that big of a problem, you just move the mouse to the left of the screen and select the airplane, then "go fly", but I know that's not how it' supposed to work.

phrank said:
Hmm, sounds like you're bypasing the interlink with that "other" software. ;)
The reset is either the RED BUTTON or the Spacebar. You cannot assign it to the JR.

Hello All,

Anytime you run RealFlight, you must use the red reset button to "validate" the Interlink controller prior to using the space bar. It has to do with anti-piracy to ensure the Interlink is connected. I usually recommend selecting the Interlink first thing after starting the application. Reset once using the Interlink controller. Then the Interlink will be 'validated". From this point forward (until program close) you can use the space bar. Now you can select the field radio and use it.

G5.5 update and JR 12x

I bought the "upgrade" to G5, and recently ran the update to get to 5.5

When I connect my JR 12X radio to the original Realflight G3 controller, the software recognizes it as an "Interlink transmitter 8 channel".

No matter how I try to recognize the radio, pushing the reset on the G3 controller, pressing the space bar, etc.. it will not use the 12x radio.

If I start off with the G3, then swap over to the 12x before takoff, the heli will just throttle down and sit on the ground. I can see stick movements, but no throttle. Also, I cannot calibrate or assign channels.

This seemed to work under G5, but isn't working on G5.5.

We are aware of this and are looking into it. please be patient as we are out of the office for the holidays.

Thanks,
Chris McVey

Zaraysci said:
I'm not running any other "software"... just plugged the 12x into the G3 controller with the adapter cord (I'm running the G5 upgrade, which still uses the G3 controller).

cpw110506zp

If your referring to post #13, he is running G5.5 not G5. Are you running 5.5?
A admin has already responded.

I can't see just plugging your 12x in and have it work right off the bat. (No configuring at all).

I think it's the robospammer. You know the one that quotes partial lines from the thread to appear legit.

If it was, it has it's eye's on Swanley's threads. I watched Zaraysci hit several of his threads.

While I was replying to this thread he was replying to Swanley's (Common Fixes To RealFlight Product) but never submitted his post.

He was on that thread for at least 5 mins.

Last edited:
Settings for using a DX8 with RF

Would some be so kind as to post a detailed setup for the DX8 using the passthrough feature?

Thanks!
Jim

Fun2av8RC said:
Would some be so kind as to post a detailed setup for the DX8 using the passthrough feature?

Thanks!
Jim

This is for the DX6i, but should be relatable to the 8. LINK

Spektrum DX8 Radio Settings

1 foot Short Wire and Training Cord DO NOT WORK to connect this radio... I do not know why. Added... see message #22 below for the reason.

I had a couple of different connecting cords around here, I don't know exactly what comes with RF6 so I will tell you what worked and what did not. I have a cord that has a rectangular 6 pin plug (Futaba Micro Plug) and the other end is a male mono audio plug. The cord is about 5 feet long. I am pretty sure this came with Real Flight. The 5 foot long cord worked. I spent a lot of time trying all sorts of radio settings and never got it to work.

I also have a short 12" piece with rectangular plug (Futaba Micro Plug) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCGR6&P=Vand the other end is a female audio cord receptacle, to that I plugged in a mono audio cord (bought at Radio Shack) with male plugs on both ends. Also known as a spectrum trainer cord. This cord did not work, don't ask me why, but it did not work. The cord is used all the time as a buddy box/Trainer cord when I instruct, so go figure. Once I plugged in a working cord (5' long) and radio, the radio showed up in the controller menu and was selected from the 2 available choices. If you do not see a second choice in the controller selection, you have connection issues.

I created a blank airplane model type in the DX8 radio (this choice also worked for the RF helicopter models). After plugging in the radio (power switch off) and the interlink, the software recognized the DX8 radio in the controller menu... I switched to that radio selection (8 channel radio) and created the channel mapping as shown below. Here is how I have mapped things to be as close as possible to the Interlink setup. The DX8's flap/gyro channel is used as the 3 position channel 8 Idle Up switch of the interlink. The Aux2/Gov switch is channel 7 smoke/throttle hold. The DX8's knob is the knob on the Interlink. If you use the mapping shown below... the DX8 switches function this way. You only use one model memory for Real Flight. You do not set up a separate model memory for each plane/heli in Real Flight.

You may want to set up some standard expo and dual rates in the radio... but they are already built into each model, so if you want to use your DX8 radio's rates, the channel 5 switch on the interlink should be up(away from you) giving you full rates in the sim and your rates on the radio. I have not spent a lot of time with this as I just use the rates that the model maker set up or change them in the model editor.

I used the simulator's radio calibration routine and started flying. The radio is working. For the DX8 Radio, that is all there is to it. There are no pass through settings, etc. etc. and the DX8 Radio's dual rates and expo work in the simulator. Keep in mind that you have one set of DX8 radio rates and expo that will work with each plane.

You do not need to edit the models or do anything else. I just did this with my radio... I have firmware Release 2.06 installed in the radio, but the version number should not make any difference.

Since you don't have a Red Reset Button on the DX8 Radio... you can turn on auto reset or press the space bar after a crash. Here is a thread link to turn on auto reset: https://forums.realflight.com/show...ght=auto+reset I use a value of 2 seconds. You must press the Interlink's red button one time at the start of the session, then autoreset will work.

In this post, I have given you everything needed to use the DX8 radio with Real Flight6, start to finish... this is all you need to do.

Attachments

• DX8Radio.jpg
    DX8Radio.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Back