Field Radio Settings - Post Your Success Stories

Spektrum DX6i Radio Settings

This is a link to the Iron Mountain radio settings for a helicopter: (for a long time, I thought this was the only way to do it, not so)

http://ironcreek.net/dx6i/

Here is a link to the Airplane Setup:

http://ironcreek.net/dx6i/plane.php

Knowing what I know now about this subject... you really only need to use one model memory and you don't need to use the pass through in each model you want to fly. These Iron Creek instructions are designed so that you have the radio doing everything and have to create a custom version of each model you want to fly. Why not let the software do it's work... set it up using the mapping functions in real flight.. more like the DX8 radio I wrote about.

Last edited:
Spektrum DX7s Radio Settings

You must follow these directions closely to get the radio to work. Do not skip any steps. It is really not difficult or hard to do... only a few real steps

A big thank you to Jerry for loaning me a DX7s to complete this explanation and make this possible.

To start with, the DX7 has 7 radio channels, the Real Flight Interlink Elite is 8 channels, so one channel is not available to control the airplanes designed to be flown with the Interlink Elite controller. This can be a slight limitation if you let it become one. The DX7 does not communicate like the DX8, still I only used one model memory for planes and helicopters.

I chose a model memory and cleared the memory so that I was starting from scratch on a clean model memory. The model type is of type; airplane and gave it the name; RealFlight. You have a 10 character limit for the length of model names. The Spektrum Dx7s' airplane model type will work for both airplanes and helicopters in the simulator. Using the helicopter model type will cause you to loose a second control channel, so don't do it.

After plugging in the Spektrum radio (always with power switch set to off) into the connected interlink, the software will recognize the DX7 radio in the 'Controller', 'Select Controller' menu... I selected the radio selection 'Interlink Elite Transmitter 8 channel' even though it is a 7 channel radio and created the channel mapping as shown below. I noticed that at times the DX7s is recognized as a 9 channel radio, but it does not seem to stay that way.

Here is how I have mapped things to be as close as possible to the Interlink setup.; (see picture below)

1. The DX7's flap/gyro channel#6 is used as the 3 position channel 8 Idle Up switch of the interlink.
2. The DX7's knob (radio channel 7) is the Channel 6 knob on the Interlink and used for flaps or gyro gain.
3. Map the DX7s radio's channel #5 to channel #7 smoke/throttle hold on the Interlink as shown in the screen shot below.
4. We will setup the dual rates in the DX7s ratio. Go to the D/R & Expo menu in the DX7s, set the aileron channel 0 D/R setting to 50%. Do the same thing for the elevator and rudder channels. The 50% number can be adjusted to your flying style. Please take note of the airplane only paragraph below.
5. You can increase the 'Travel' in the 'Servo Setup' (aileron, elevator, rudder) from 100% to 150% if you would like a hotter 3d Helicopter or plane. The number used would be to your preference.
6. I would not use DX7s radio's Expo settings as the aircraft already has expo designed into the setup. In effect, you would be doing expo on top of expo.
7. With the DX7s radio dual rates setup, you need to always do the Real Flight calibration function with full rates selected on the DX7s. If you calibrate on the half rates... full rates will not work.
8. You can combine all the dual rate switches to one switch by assigning all three of them to one switch at the bottom of the 'D/R - Expo' menu. I assigned mine to the Elev DR switch to mimic the Interlink Elite as much as possible.
9. The Spektrum DX7s' mix switch and F mode switches are unused in this setup. You have used all the available channels.
10. The throttle hold function is enabled by enabling the 'Throttle Cut' function in the DX7s radio, and assigning it to 'Mix1'.
11. When flying helicopters with throttle hold enabled, you have two switches that will cut the throttle, the mix/hold switch and the gear/mix switch. Both have to be in the on position for the heli to spin up.

Proceed to run the calibration routine. If the DX7s sticks do not move the same as shown on the animated calibration radio there is something wrong, you need to check or uncheck the reverse boxes on the channel mapping form. The mapping screen shown below is your guide. If you have setup radio dual rates... you need to have full rates selected when you calibrate.

AIRPLANE ONLY MODIFICATION If you would rather use the Real Flight's preprogrammed dual rates as built into each model you will change the mapping of DX7s radio channel 5 to be mapped to channel 5 Dual rates. Doing so will disable the ability to fly many helicopter models as they need channel 7 to control the throttle hold. You do not need to enter D/R - Expo settings in the DX7s if you choose this option. So only make this change if you don't fly helis.

I have not spent a lot of time using the 50% low rate on the transmitter as I just use the rates that the model maker set up (airplane only) or change them in the model editor. I tried to use the Radios default settings for as much as possible for this explanation.

I used the simulator's radio calibration routine and started flying. For the DX7 Radio, that is all there is to it. There are no pass through settings, etc. etc. and the DX7 Radio's dual rates and expo work in the simulator. Keep in mind that you have ONLY one set of DX7 radio rates and expo that will work with each plane, unless you use the airplane only modification.

You do not need to edit the models or do anything else. I just did this with my radio... I have firmware Release 1.00 installed in the radio, but the version number should not make any difference.

Using the DX7s Radio:
Start the simulator without the DX7s connected. You must press the Interlink Elite Red Reset button at least one time before connecting the DX7s radio. From the menu, select 'Controller', 'Select Controller', and then 'Interlink Elite Transmitter 8 Channel'. I don't know why it appears as an interlink or as 8 channel, but it works.

Since you don't have a Red Reset Button on the DX7 Radio... you can turn on auto reset or press the space bar after a crash. Here is a thread link to turn on auto reset: https://forums.realflight.com/show...ght=auto+reset I use a value of 2 seconds. You must press the Interlink's red button one time at the start of the session, then autoreset will work.

In this post, I have given you everything needed to use the DX7 radio with Real Flight6, start to finish... this is all you need to do.

Connecting The DX7s to the Interlink Elite
Special Notes: I had a couple of different connecting cords around here, I don't know exactly what comes with RF6 so I will tell you what worked. I have a cord that has a rectangular 6 pin plug (Futaba Micro Plug) and the other end is a male mono audio plug. The cord is about 5 feet long. I am pretty sure this came with Real Flight. The 5 foot long cord works.

I also have a short 12" piece with rectangular plug (Futaba Micro Plug) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCGR6&P=Vand the other end is a female audio cord receptacle, to that I plugged in a mono audio cord (bought at Radio Shack) with male plugs on both ends. Also known as a spectrum trainer cord. This cord does not work. See message #22 for more information on this issue. Once I plugged in a working cord (5' long) and radio, the radio showed up in the controller menu and it was selected from the 2 available choices. If you do not see a second choice in the controller selection, you have connection issues.

I also want to note that when a helicopter model type is selected in the DX7s radio, channel 6(pitch) and channel 1 (throttle) both move the same. This prevents using the channel 6 from being used by the simulator. This is by design and nothing can be done about it.

Attachments

• Real_Flight_DX7s_Channel_MappingRev2.jpg
    Real_Flight_DX7s_Channel_MappingRev2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
confusing terminlogy being used here!

HinGuys and Gals,
There could be a bit of confusion with terms being used on this thread.
Not your fault--just blame the English language.
Pitch can mean three things in our world!!!!
In fact four if you think of a hand launch as pitching!
In the airplane world, its either the up and down movements caused by the elevator, or the angular setting of the prop blades.
As we don't very often have control over the pitch of the prop, it's rarely confusing.
But with helis it's a totally different story.
So how about talking in slightly different (even if not totally "heli" accurate)?
Lets go back to good old aircraft terms--lets have channels for Throttle, Aileron, Elevator, Rudder, Pitch (ROTOR PITCH), Gear, Flaps etc etc for those with more than 6 channels.
I have already suggested that Real flight should include with each model a channel map, in much the same way as you guys are doing here, so we KNOW what function is allocated to what RF Channel. I found (the long hard struggle way) that it is the only way to convert from your channels to RF channels and remember what you have done.
Problem with Real flight &.5 seems , to me at least, that there is no one setting that works with all models, aircraft and hellis.
Examples are Skyship, Harrier, Osprey, hellis, and planes and quads. I have had to set up a separate model, and in some cases, a transmitter designation, to fly these .
Is there an easier answer?
Steve G
PS I am using a Specktrum DX6i with the cable connection

Last edited:
Setup your transmitter so that RealFlight does all this mixing for you. That way everything in RealFlight works as designed and you don't have to setup every model to work with your radio. There's detailed instructions on how to do this in the RealFlight 7 forum. Basically you setup the TX as an airplane with no mixing. I haven't been in G5.5 into a while but in RealFlight 7.5, the Y U I O keys toggle the switches on the interlink for the channels you don't have on the Dx6i.

A easier option is to just use your interlink....

confused functions

I tried that---it is exactly what I had set up when I first got RF 7.5.
Does not work on Harrier---apart from being difficult to fly if you have to keep looking at the keyboard and wiggling sticks, the ailerons don't work!
On Skyship, the thruster position is not known once it gets a bit further away.
On the Osprey, it just don't work . Have not tried a heli yet, but as they did not work when I first tried this, I can only assume that nothing has changed.
I think the basic program is great, but this part is real let down--its obviously not that simple, or you guys would not have to create these pages to help.
It really does need looking at, and fixing.
Most of the confusion would be avoided if there was a complete list of all channel allocations provided in the aircraft specs, instead of on only a few.
Steve G

I tried that---it is exactly what I had set up when I first got RF 7.5.
Does not work on Harrier---apart from being difficult to fly if you have to keep looking at the keyboard and wiggling sticks, the ailerons don't work!
On Skyship, the thruster position is not known once it gets a bit further away.
On the Osprey, it just don't work . Have not tried a heli yet, but as they did not work when I first tried this, I can only assume that nothing has changed.
I think the basic program is great, but this part is real let down--its obviously not that simple, or you guys would not have to create these pages to help.
It really does need looking at, and fixing.
Most of the confusion would be avoided if there was a complete list of all channel allocations provided in the aircraft specs, instead of on only a few.
Steve G

It's does indeed work, I've used it as have many others, however I have an 8 channel transmitter and the interlink is also 8 channel. Every channel in my transmitter is used. I have a profile in the TX just for RealFlight. Same exact setup in the field radio interface instructions for the DX8. I can fly all helicopters and planes. With the keyboard commands it would be more difficult for sure. The keyboard command for the flap knob and 3 position switch for instance, holding down the button will gradually rotate the knob like the thrust vector on the harrier or the rotor blades of the osprey. I have this mapped to the knob on my DX8.

I have 1 RealFlight model that I don't use software mixing and instead I edited it to use my Transmitter settings. It's the Trex 500 I fly in real life and it's setup to use my Heli settings. It's nearly as good as the real thing.

I haven't tried a Dx6i and I have 3 of them but not having enough channels would definitely be a issue. Keyboard commands would have to be used. You can pull up the radio gadget and see what key works each switch. It's also listed on the gadget in RealFlight 7.5.

You will be going back and forth between the transmitter and keyboard until you get a 8 channel transmitter.

Back