Flettner 282 Kolibri Build

it looks like the angle of that canard fin is just perfect for it to be caught in a photograph directly from the tip:
F-15_ACTIVE_touches_down_on_Edwards_AFB_runway_%28EC98-44511-3%29.jpg

and that photograph is helpful because it shows (if you zoom in) that the undersides of the fins have the same paint stripes.

Last edited:
Nice new wing on the F-16XL Legoman, it will look great when you get the ailerons and elevators cut in and we have visual frames on the control surfaces, are you considering adding flaps and maybe air brakes, at the moment it takes quite a bit of time to lose speed for landings, but yes the model fly's great. !!!
Interesting silhouette of the aircraft in flight.

Nice new wing on the F-16XL Legoman, it will look great when you get the ailerons and elevators cut in and we have visual frames on the control surfaces, are you considering adding flaps and maybe air brakes, at the moment it takes quite a bit of time to lose speed for landings, but yes the model fly's great. !!!
Interesting silhouette of the aircraft in flight.

here is some control surfaces. I am not sure how flaps work with a delta. air brakes are likely out of the scope of what i want to do with this plane.i also tried adding it to the F-16A on the swaps and it was not bad. so if i should use a different f-16 as the base let be know.

Attachments

• F-16XL quarter_AV.RFX
    930.1 KB · Views: 10
I am not sure how flaps work with a delta.
Since I'm not sure either, I did a quick Google search and didn't find any applicable results, but I am betting that, to have the same effect as traditional flaps, they would need to be closer to the center of gravity.
Heck! I guess that's what they call air brakes after all! 😄🤔🤔

Last edited:
Some of you probably already know this, but I think it's interesting that the word kolibri is German for hummingbird. I think that's definitely appropriate for this aircraft.
FL282-Captured.jpg

31g8z9c009l._sx425_.jpg

(I just got myself mixed up by looking up at the previous post and not seeing the Flettner helicopter. so I guess this is me unwittingly taking us back to the original subject. 😁)

Last edited:
Having flown the model on Realflight and seen the way those blades chop round near the ground either side, those chaps standing around near the Flettner in the picture above, are very brave. Wouldn’t want to be a pilot needing a quick exit from the cockpit either.

Had another play with the Flettner last night. I fly mostly helicopters in the sim, I do find the flettner’s lack of rudder control at low speed a bit scary and worse when it’s on the ground. I’m guessing it will eventually have a steerable front wheel?

Try this AV.
I added another Heli Mechanics and moved one of the rotors to the new HM so I could have more control, also moved the pitch control at low speeds, (moved the combined rudder/pitch from elevator to collective control.)
Should show as Flettner....Mod2 in the list of models, don't forget to overwrite files on the import.
It is strange that you do not have a steerable front wheel as far as I remember it has always been a there on Legoman's beta.

Attachments

• Flettner 282 test 10 Mod2_AV.RFX
    40.7 KB · Views: 4
Try this AV.
I added another Heli Mechanics and moved one of the rotors to the new HM so I could have more control, also moved the pitch control at low speeds, (moved the combined rudder/pitch from elevator to collective control.)
Should show as Flettner....Mod2 in the list of models, don't forget to overwrite files on the import.
It is strange that you do not have a steerable front wheel as far as I remember it has always been a there on Legoman's beta.

I made some change to my way of using elevator control the two heli mechanic setup. it works great but they end up out of sync very fast under high loads hmm maybe a three-mechanic setup would fix it two for flying and one for looks

Attachments

• 2022-07-04 02_48_26-Aircraft Editor - Flettner 282 test 10b.jpg
    2022-07-04 02_48_26-Aircraft Editor - Flettner 282 test 10b.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 9
  • Flettner 282 test 10b_AV.RFX
    267.8 KB · Views: 6
Actually what works best for me is rotor rpm differential speed, but of course the rotors definitely do not stay visually synchronized, so yes maybe the third heli mechanics for visual only would be a solution, but not perfect scale physics representing the intermesh rotor system, after all it works on the real world aircraft.
I have every confidence in the incredible mind power of Legoman to combine a multitude of mixers to make this work.
Hopefully it is not a case of RF not being able to reproduce the flight physics, if so maybe just use a thruster on the tail for low speed/hover turns.
I made some change to my way of using elevator control the two heli mechanic setup. it works great but they end up out of sync very fast under high loads hmm maybe a three-mechanic setup would fix it two for flying and one for looks

What is the possibility of a third heli mechanics driving and synchronizing the two rotor HM's. (just a thought)

Try this AV.
Just tried it out. It does have more tail authority and is better at low speeds. There is a drawback though, as it now has a lot of inertia. once it's turning it's quite hard to stop. I guess the real one may be like that, don't know. Checking again I did have a steerable front wheel, not sure how I missed it the first time.

Legoman's new version 10b is a big improvement. On balance I think I like that one best so far. I did find out it won't fly inverted, again neither would the real one, but I did manage to do a loop which was fun.

This is the only heli I have ever gotten close to autorotating
The only reason I said almost is because I assumed that you hadn't set negative pitch on low throttle. But maybe you did. The fact that you were able to flare and land so nicely says that your rotor head speed was maintained. I'm going to amend my comment and say that that was an autorotation.

Last edited:
The only reason I said almost is because I assumed that you hadn't set negative pitch on low throttle. But maybe you did. The fact that you were able to feather and land so nicely says that your rotor head speed was maintained. I'm going to amend my comment and say that that was an autorotation.

no min pitch is currently +1 degree. the pitch control on the full scale heli is governed to control engine rpm. it is set to be max pitch at 170 rpm and min pitch (auto rotate) at 140 RPM. I have it set to 420-490 in the "governer" on the model.

{EDIT] checked it and the min pitch is set to -1 degree not +1.

Last edited:
Back