Fly Baby Bipe

That’s one reason I’ve chosen to model the rib detail instead of a normal map, and it only costs a few extra poly’s. I can dig up a wireframe shot of how I do it if you’d like.

Just by looking at the pic, it looks pretty good, but the vertical stab looks inverted to me. Almost like it’s ballooned instead of sunken. Also, being a beta I know it’s early on, but I’d actually stop the ribs along the leading and trailing edges to give the effect of sheeting under the covering. I am a big fan of the look you’re going for though.
Thanks but I think I'll go with a different paint scheme for the ribbed CS. I've been looking around and it looks like the original was burgandy and yellow so that should work okay for the normal map. But I'm not sure if those colors are correct. Here's a few pictures.

Fly Baby Wing 01.jpgFly Baby Wing 02.jpgbiplane_3v.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another Fly Baby Bipe Ribs CS for you to check out. I changed the colors to Burgandy and Yellow like the original plane pictures I found. The normal map works really well on those two colors. Let me know what you think. The filename is the same so make sure to choose "overwrite everything" when you import it.

Fly Baby Bipe Ribs.jpg

EDIT: I removed the beta color scheme I'm uploading a modified version that looks better.

Last edited:
So I'll return a favor. Looks like there's some shading/geometry issues going on just behind the cylinders. Maybe a vert got shifted? That's what happened on mine anyway. Other than that, it looks really good. Personally, I think I would tone the normals down just a touch, but not much. From the side things look exaggerated a little too much.

Attachments

• fly baby.JPG
    fly baby.JPG
    398.5 KB · Views: 8
So I'll return a favor. Looks like there's some shading/geometry issues going on just behind the cylinders. Maybe a vert got shifted? That's what happened on mine anyway. Other than that, it looks really good. Personally, I think I would tone the normals down just a touch, but not much. From the side things look exaggerated a little too much.
Thanks I'll take a look and see what's going on there. As for the normal map I can't change it I borrowed the style from a plane DHK79 did (Bristol F2b) so I don't have the original gradient to work with. So I just use it as is. It looks pretty good I think so I never took the time to create my own gradient, lazy I guess. Maybe sometime I'll do that.

Gotcha. Have you used the gradient tool before? If not it only takes seconds to do one.
Oh yes I've used the gradient tool many times. But the gradient for the ribs isn't so simple. You have the gradient for the dip in the wing and the gradient for the rib itself. Then tweaking the shades to get the correct look in the normal map. Someday I'll probably do it but I liked the way DHK79's looked so I borrowed it. I gave him credit for the style in my RAF SE5a release notes. I have something for you in my next post.

Oh yes I've used the gradient tool many times. But the gradient for the ribs isn't so simple. You have the gradient for the dip in the wing and the gradient for the rib itself. Then tweaking the shades to get the correct look in the normal map. Someday I'll probably do it but I liked the way DHK79's looked so I borrowed it. I gave him credit for the style in my RAF SE5a release notes. I have something for you in my next post.
Gotcha. And I don’t like surprises. 🤣🤣

Here's another Fly Baby Bipe Ribs CS for you to check out. I added sheeting in the front for the wings, hstab, and vstab. It definitely looks better thanks @abaser for your suggestion. The filename is the same so make sure to choose "overwrite everything" when you import it.

Fly Baby Bipe Ribs 01.jpgFly Baby Bipe Ribs 02.jpg

Attachments

• Fly Baby Bipe Ribs_CS.RFX
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
I normally use Photoshop paths for my stripes so I just grabbed the stripe paths from the normal color scheme and used them in the normal map Photoshop file for the sheeting. I may go back and add some sheeting for the back of the wing, hstab, and vstab too. But the front sheeting seemed to be the most important.

I started on the physics this morning. I resized and moved everything so the physics looks right. So now I need to balance it and work on the flight physics. On another note in the beginning I used an off-white color I got off one of the color schemes I downloaded but I think I'm going to go back and whiten it up a little more before release. But everything's looking good and moving right along. So the end is in sight.

Back