Flying newer planes in older versions

DocJones

I have RF G5.5. Is it possible for me to download an airplane in the newer versions (say RF 8-9.5) like the Apprentice, Turbo Timber, or the Aeroscout into my program? Are they in the swap pages...haven't swam through all the G5.5 swaps looking for those aircraft. Thanks.

I have RF G5.5. Is it possible for me to download an airplane in the newer versions (say RF 8-9.5) like the Apprentice, Turbo Timber, or the Aeroscout into my program?
I recommend obtaining the newer version RealFlight9. You'll get most of the latest planes from E-Flite and Hangar 9; all built-in.

PS edit: get the edition with the InterlinkDX usb controller.

marcus

Thanks...I'm returning to the hobby after about 15-20 yrs (recently retired and have ALOT of time on my hands now). Used to fly old, BIG Gassers (I had a 14' WS (each wing panel was 6' in the bag!), high wing that flew lazy and sporty. A tank of gas...I could fly HALF A DAY!! Donated her to my local club for a cancer drive a ways back and got rid of my old spectrum radio (an AR-900, I think?), and gave just about all my stuff away. My new club is almost 85% electric (as it seems most of the hobby is) and I don't want to go back to fuel (gas or glow) but I'm not sure these new type ac are going to "feel" the same to me. I know "simulators" are just that...and I don't want to rely too much on it...but I still have most of my instincts and "reflexes" and I think I'll be OK. A member and an IP in my club is going to let me get some stick-time with him and fly the club's Apprentice. He also has the Turbo Timber, which he is suggesting might be a good ac for me to transition into. The field is grass and he seems to think the tail dragging, Big AC, STOL like characteristics might be better for me than the tri-pacer Apprentice...but I plan to fly both just to get back into it. Was just looking to fly one of those (Timber, Apprentice, or Aeroscout) in my Sim (G5.5) to "experience" it a little more. Don't really want to purchase RF 9.5, because I think I'm getting enough of what I should be out of my Sim. I have planes like the PT-40, Big Stick, Cub Kadet (the plane I actually learned on), and also been flying the "Electristar", Sig Seniorita EP, and the Nexstar EP (without the AFS...that thing gives me the "creeps" and feels like I can't make the correction I really want too...I usu DON'T over-correct...so it actually "hinders" my natural ability...I think). Oh well, sorry for rambling...so many ideas out there and "advice of what I should do"...Ha!...RC clubs really haven't changed that much in that regard! Been looking at the Aeroscout too...just because I think it would be very easy for me and I could prob fly it pretty simply, and also pass it down to my grandson when I move on/up (plan to get the RTF version and the DXe radio it comes with and pass it on to him, and order a NX8 Tx for me to fly whatever BNF I end up getting). Club already has an Apprentice...so I'm really just going to see what happens with my stick time on that (was supposed to fly today, but it was too windy). Thanks for any inputs...I'm a good listener. Doc Jones

Been looking at the Aeroscout too...just because I think it would be very easy for me and I could prob fly it pretty simply, and also pass it down to my grandson when I move on/up (plan to get the RTF version and the DXe radio it comes with and pass it on to him, and order a NX8 Tx for me to fly whatever BNF I end up getting). Club already has an Apprentice...so I'm really just going to see what happens with my stick time on that (was supposed to fly today, but it was too windy). Thanks for any inputs...I'm a good listener. Doc Jones
My dad has the Aeroscout, and I have the Apprentice. They are both really good trainers. Your grandson will be able to fly either one of them easily; a really good way to get started.

I have the Timbers (love those planes) and the Carbon Cub SS 2.1m. Any of the Timbers can be first planes, and the Cub can easily be a second plane. I use the DX8G2, and am currently waiting on the NX10.

Best of luck.

marcus

I have RF G5.5. Is it possible for me to download an airplane in the newer versions (say RF 8-9.5) like the Apprentice, Turbo Timber, or the Aeroscout into my program? Are they in the swap pages...haven't swam through all the G5.5 swaps looking for those aircraft. Thanks.
Actually, RF5.5 is still a very good RC sim and I think its heli physics are at least as good as RF9.5. So, if I were you I'd just stick with that for now. You really are just re-training your thumbs with any rc sim anyway imho. I actually still have 5.5 installed on a +12 year old laptop and it still works great.

If you go to the swap pages and select 5.5 you will see a heap of aircraft. I'm sure you'll find something you like. Although, 5.5 already has a lot of good trainer type aircraft and most of them you can edit to scale them up a bit so that they are easier to see. For example;

Good luck getting back into all this mate, cheers.

My dad has the Aeroscout, and I have the Apprentice. They are both really good trainers. Your grandson will be able to fly either one of them easily; a really good way to get started.

I have the Timbers (love those planes) and the Carbon Cub SS 2.1m. Any of the Timbers can be first planes, and the Cub can easily be a second plane. I use the DX8G2, and am currently waiting on the NX10.

Best of luck.

marcus
Marcus...thank you. I feel good about getting back into the hobby!

Actually, RF5.5 is still a very good RC sim and I think its heli physics are at least as good as RF9.5. So, if I were you I'd just stick with that for now. You really are just re-training your thumbs with any rc sim anyway imho. I actually still have 5.5 installed on a +12 year old laptop and it still works great.

If you go to the swap pages and select 5.5 you will see a heap of aircraft. I'm sure you'll find something you like. Although, 5.5 already has a lot of good trainer type aircraft and most of them you can edit to scale them up a bit so that they are easier to see. For example;

Good luck getting back into all this mate, cheers.
Thanks for your comments, Tom. Cheers!

Part of your question remains unanswered. No, it is not possible to install a version 9.5 aircraft in version 5. There was a big change in the number of triangles allowed. So, in general, you should stick to the version 5 aircraft on the swap pages.

Part of your question remains unanswered. No, it is not possible to install a version 9.5 aircraft in version 5. There was a big change in the number of triangles allowed. So, in general, you should stick to the version 5 aircraft on the swap pages.
Good points mate, thanks!

Twelve O'clock high...thanks! (BTW...that was one of my FAVORITE series, with the great, late, Robert Lansing and the crew..."Well Whiley....(as he was blowing out smoke form 4 cigarettes in the cockpit while he was flying his B-17))"!!!! One other question I bet you know. If I do decide to upgrade and get the version 9.5 (software only), can I still use the Futaba Interlink Elite transmitter I use with G5.5...or do I have to get the new Spektrum one that comes with 9.5?? I just want to be able to fly some of the new aircraft (Apprentice, Turbo Timber 1.5, etc) and dont care if I dont have some of the new "bells and whistles" that the Spectrum transmitter may provide.

If I do decide to upgrade and get the version 9.5 (software only), can I still use the Futaba Interlink Elite transmitter I use with G5.5...or do I have to get the new Spektrum one that comes with 9.5?? I just want to be able to fly some of the new aircraft (Apprentice, Turbo Timber 1.5, etc) and don't care if I don't have some of the new "bells and whistles" that the Spectrum transmitter may provide.

Thank you BrokeDad. Is there a "list" anywhere that has what planes come with what versions? The only reason I'm upgrading is to fly some newer E-flite electric planes in the sim that I don't have access to in G5.5.
Mainly I want to fly: Aeroscout 1.1, T-28 Trojan 1.1, Turbo Timber 1.5, and Piper Cherokee 1.3. Are all these in 9.5, or should I get 9.0??

I'm finally up-grading to RF 9.5 from 5.5. I like some of the aircraft I have in 5.5 (self-made models and some original ones that aren't in 9.5). Do I need to "un-install" RF G5.5 completely from my laptop before I install 9.5, or can I just install 9.5 over 5.5 in hopes I can keep some of my aircraft? (Maybe there's a way to import my old aircraft in after I install 9.5, if I have to totally un-install 5.5 first?)...

I'm finally up-grading to RF 9.5 from 5.5. I like some of the aircraft I have in 5.5 (self-made models and some original ones that aren't in 9.5). Do I need to "un-install" RF G5.5 completely from my laptop before I install 9.5, or can I just install 9.5 over 5.5 in hopes I can keep some of my aircraft? (Maybe there's a way to import my old aircraft in after I install 9.5, if I have to totally un-install 5.5 first?)...
no you do not need to unistall any of the other Realflight versions i have G 3.5 G4.5 5.5 RF 6.5 7.5 and RF 8 on my computer with all the custom and all the add-on and expansion packs , i still have not upgraded to RF 9

I hear what you are saying...but according to some other threads and other comments...with RF 9 and 9.5, other folks "recommend" uninstalling any other older versions. Since you have installed 3.5 to 8 on top of each other with no issues...that means I could do the same. But neither of us have tried to install RF 9 or 9.5 over our older stuff. Again, I hear what you are saying...and no disrespect whatsoever...but could someone from Knife Edge or RF get on here and let me know if I can safely install RF 9.5 over 5.5 without uninstalling 5.5 completely before I try and install the new 9.5? Thanks.

RealFlight normally installs all of it's main files in a directory using the version number as part of the directory name so your RF 5.5 and RF 9.5 will be installed in different directories. And the common files I've seen usually have the RF version number in it too so that doesn't cause any problems either. But I don't have RF 5.5 so I don't know what it does.

RealFlight normally installs all of it's main files in a directory using the version number as part of the directory name so your RF 5.5 and RF 9.5 will be installed in different directories. And the common files I've seen usually have the RF version number in it too so that doesn't cause any problems either. But I don't have RF 5.5 so I don't know what it does.

the realflight directories the older realflights just add a G in front of the number g4 g5

I hear what you are saying...but according to some other threads and other comments...with RF 9 and 9.5, other folks "recommend" uninstalling any other older versions. Since you have installed 3.5 to 8 on top of each other with no issues...that means I could do the same. But neither of us have tried to install RF 9 or 9.5 over our older stuff. Again, I hear what you are saying...and no disrespect whatsoever...but could someone from Knife Edge or RF get on here and let me know if I can safely install RF 9.5 over 5.5 without uninstalling 5.5 completely before I try and install the new 9.5? Thanks.

you can safely have multiple versions of rf installed on the same computer. The main reason to not have all of them is diskspace. I have had multiple installed at a time before not currently do to drive space limits. with the OS, my realflight 9.5, RF-X, other programs and a safe over head for windows updates on the same drive and 26 GB custom files in 9.5 alone the 240GB drive that they are on is quite full.

Another reason unless you intent to use both flying with friends from older versions who have yet to update and a few friend who have already updated. then you have have a reason to keep both. but when I have had multiple I end up just going to one specific version and flying that one.

Back