Flying Sub 1

LOL .. that's not Sgt. Schultz. That's Arte Johnson from Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. (Yes I'm that old)
OH Crap BD, you are so right, now I`m so embarrassed, Well, on a positive note, I remembered Artie`s role as a soldier saying "Very Interesting" on Laugh-in only because I`m that old as well, I`ll just blame it on a brain fart.......yeah, that`s what it was, a brain fart. That`s my story and I`m sticking too it:p:p;);):D:D

Well then, you must have been a big fan of the show "Sky King" and of coarse his daughter "Penny"(if you got it up there.....neighbor,,,;):D)

Yeah I was a huge fan of Sky King.. cool show. And Sea Hunt too. All those old shows. (ah Combat comes to mind too)

Yeah I was a huge fan of Sky King.. cool show. And Sea Hunt too. All those old shows. (ah Combat comes to mind too)
Yep me as well ...Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges, Combat with Vic Morrow as Sgt. Saunders, I`d have too look up the other characters.:rolleyes:

i remember a little of that had to go to the neighbors to see it hah we didn't get a TV until 62
LOL, Doug, we gotta be close to same age, In "62", I was six. I think that`s around the same time we got our first TV as well, B/W of coarse, BUT, color was on the horizon :D. But the thing I remember most from back then on TV, was watching the news about the JFK assassination and his funeral, I won`t get into details, BUT, I`ll never forget it. AND FE, I can`t wait to see the finished model. I haven`t forgotten about the topic....;);)

Have put some time into the LG retract sequence, focusing on the right gear for now.
It's pretty close, but I could use some help from the experts.

The NUP values for LG and gear door (GD2) work ok:
Raising: LG rotates first, then GD raises
Lowering: GD lowers first, then LG rotates
There is overlap in the animation (one motion never waits completely for the other to finish before starting), but it is mostly sequential.
For correct retraction, the wheel should travel up the gear door a bit.
So for that, a linear actuator is used (it also adds bit of rotation, to get the wheel parallel with the gear door quicker).

The problem is that as the linear actuator is not properly sequenced relative to the NUP controls.
The LA always moves first. That's ok on raising the gear, as the wheel needs to be pulled up the door length and quickly rotated to clear the future wheel well opening. On lowering, the LA pushes the wheel down the GD first, so the wheel will not be clearing the opening. If you look carefully at pix5, the gear block has already moved towards the end of the gear door before it starts to lower.
Would also like to see the wheel pulled further up the gear door as well, but one problem at a time..

Suggestions?
Am I missing something obvious?
Can the gear block be controlled with NUP values-- perhaps with linear values to sequence relative to the wheel and gear door or are only rotational values allowed?
Perhaps driving the LA with some unique mixing operation?

Also, can anyone provide the info on the various GD values?
As I remember it:
GD1 is the main gear door
GD2 moves relative to the LG for an optional second door
GD4 is like GD2, except after the gear is down it closes again
GD3??

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• ScreenShot1.jpg
    ScreenShot1.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 6
  • ScreenShot2.jpg
    ScreenShot2.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 7
  • ScreenShot3.jpg
    ScreenShot3.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 7
  • ScreenShot4.jpg
    ScreenShot4.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 5
  • ScreenShot5.jpg
    ScreenShot5.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 7
Have put some time into the LG retract sequence, focusing on the right gear for now.
It's pretty close, but I could use some help from the experts.

The NUP values for LG and gear door (GD2) work ok:
Raising: LG rotates first, then GD raises
Lowering: GD lowers first, then LG rotates
There is overlap in the animation (one motion never waits completely for the other to finish before starting), but it is mostly sequential.
For correct retraction, the wheel should travel up the gear door a bit.
So for that, a linear actuator is used (it also adds bit of rotation, to get the wheel parallel with the gear door quicker).

The problem is that as the linear actuator is not properly sequenced relative to the NUP controls.
The LA always moves first. That's ok on raising the gear, as the wheel needs to be pulled up the door length and quickly rotated to clear the future wheel well opening. On lowering, the LA pushes the wheel down the GD first, so the wheel will not be clearing the opening. If you look carefully at pix5, the gear block has already moved towards the end of the gear door before it starts to lower.
Would also like to see the wheel pulled further up the gear door as well, but one problem at a time..

Suggestions?
Am I missing something obvious?
Can the gear block be controlled with NUP values-- perhaps with linear values to sequence relative to the wheel and gear door or are only rotational values allowed?
Perhaps driving the LA with some unique mixing operation?

Also, can anyone provide the info on the various GD values?
As I remember it:
GD1 is the main gear door
GD2 moves relative to the LG for an optional second door
GD4 is like GD2, except after the gear is down it closes again
GD3??

Thanks in advance for the help!

https://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/plane_tutorial.php#retracts

you will need multiple landing gears

Last edited:
Thanks for the link legoman.

Need multiple LGs. Hmm. Have to think about that works...

between -100 and -50 the first set of movement happens on the first gear
between -50 and 0 the second set of movement happens on the second gear
and so on and so forth.

the main mounts of the Tu-95 do something similar they also have some linear motion too. [EDIT] although much less pronounced

Last edited:
Thanks for the info legoman!

The PC has a major video issue, and it's looking like it may be replacement time.
So, no FS-1 development for awhile regretfully.

Max 2015 is no longer available, so moving on to 2018 with the new PC.
Am sure some controls have changed/renamed since 2015, but test load of the FTBB looks ok.
Getting closer to getting back on line..

Attachments

• max 2018 test.jpg
    max 2018 test.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 8
Back