Flying Sub 1

Thanks guys.

UT,
It has ended up to presently have ground steering via the tail wheel.
Not giving up yet on finding a way to have ground steering w/o the tail wheel turning to keep it true to the original, but we'll see.

Not a first choice, but the physics are set up for twin turbines.

BD,
Shark: maybe. But I thought I read some where the inspiration for the FS shape was the manta ray.

Attachments

• fs32.jpg
    fs32.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 5
  • manta.jpg
    manta.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OK, I see the fixed tail wheel, SO,... just a thought, do you think steering with braking might work??? by that, I mean, setting up braking on the L/R main wheels with "rudder" to control turning, (wouldn`t affect flight characteristics)......NOW, I can`t help but think that a fixed rear wheel would work against that set up, but you could remedy that with a freely pivoting rear, I`m pretty sure I`ve seen where that can be done.. Anyway like I said, just a thought, might get you you thinking in another direction ?????

Yes, it has had differential braking from the beginning, as I've put that in some other planes.
The steering rear wheel was added later as, so far, it has the strongest effect (weak turning if the SG is turned off).
But, the FS-1 is still in the hanger, so more to test & try.

BD:
For me, this is more or less a "scale" model so the original colors look best.
But am sure there will be some interesting CSs!

Progress:
Added the rear panel ribs and hatch (no animation on the latter yet).

Not allowed in the NIMR manual for the FS-1, but low inverted passes are in RF!

Enjoy a great weekend.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1568867648.jpg
    ScreenShot1568867648.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 8
  • ScreenShot1568867580.jpg
    ScreenShot1568867580.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 8
  • ScreenShot1568867272.jpg
    ScreenShot1568867272.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 8
  • ScreenShot1568867728.jpg
    ScreenShot1568867728.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 6
  • NIMR.jpg
    NIMR.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 7
Fly electric did you ever figure out why the gear was spawning in the up position. Because I may have just found out why it may be doing it. if the plane is set to water spawn it does not automaticly start gear down on the runaway if there is no water spawn

Fly electric did you ever figure out why the gear was spawning in the up position. Because I may have just found out why it may be doing it. if the plane is set to water spawn it does not automaticly start gear down on the runaway if there is no water spawn

That happened to me when I used the Realflight Clipper physics as a starting point for the DC-4 it took me quite a while to find out what the problem was.

Am a bit tired, and just put in some time on the FS-1 tonight, but right now I'm remembering all the LG issues were with incorrect linkages.
Water spawn: have not looked at that recently.

Thanks Doug.

A little more modeling and some quick mapping and colors.
Added the top hatch, including its animation.
Same control as the rear hatch-- for now.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1569299533S.jpg
    ScreenShot1569299533S.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 7
  • ScreenShot1569299544.jpg
    ScreenShot1569299544.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 6
  • ScreenShot1569299557s.jpg
    ScreenShot1569299557s.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 6
And some flying "therapy"

Attachments

• ScreenShot1569299807.jpg
    ScreenShot1569299807.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 6
  • ScreenShot1569299845.jpg
    ScreenShot1569299845.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 7
  • ScreenShot1569299891s.jpg
    ScreenShot1569299891s.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 6
legoman,

Did a test this morning as a water spawn (has been "from ground").
Gear starts in the position of the retract switch, on both water and land.
Still high friction on water, but will get back to that later in the build.
If need be, there will be land and sea posts of the FS-1.

legoman,

Did a test this morning as a water spawn (has been "from ground").
Gear starts in the position of the retract switch, on both water and land.
Still high friction on water, but will get back to that later in the build.
If need be, there will be land and sea posts of the FS-1.

I was playing with a Hadley page Victor imported as the seamaster. and it was not spawning with the gear down all the time it was defaulting the switch position. then I opened it on a field with a water spawn and I put two and two together and realized the the spawn was still set to water. thus the problem with the landing gear.

If you reduce the frontal area of the collison mesh it should cut through the water easier. In the time I was playing with the skyraider when it had only a partial collison mesh (tires only). I could make it "reverse dolphin"(dive into the water then climb and start flying again) pretty good ( although I can not remember how much it slowed down if any) I don't remeber any engine bog from tha airspeed changing rapidly.

legoman,
Excellent thought about the c-mesh frontal area. Will try that tonight.

asj5547,
Thanks. It's been one I've wanted to model for a quite awhile.
Progress is also shared with coworkers, and one of them thought I was designing another real world model. Man, if a real FS-1 flying model could be built (w/o the necessary control compensations)-- that WOULD be very cool.

I'm learning there is apparently more to the impact of parts with reserved names.
As legoman suggested, the c-mesh frontal area could be a factor in the water speed.
I've also noticed the FS-1 noticeably drops off in speed when the gear is lowered.
I think the drop increased a bit when the gear & LG parts were correctly linked vs when they were wrong, and since the hatch ~CS parts have been added, the overall drag seems to have increased.
Been doing the custom content for a awhile and STILL learning! :)

Slight sidetrack this weekend. I got the bug to get the next model in better shape than when it was first opened in Max 2018. It has been through 2012 and 2015. When opened in 2018, the pivots were really messed up, including the right wing rotated 180. There were many newbie mistakes with the plane, but the Lear Jet Ducted Fan is much healthier, so it can go back into the hanger for now.
Most likely it will be posted in RF9.

Still was no progress on the water interaction with the FS-1, although it does seem to have something to do the fuselage C-mesh: If that mesh is low enough, the FS-1 is above the water. but is very unstable (much like what springy gear does if the LG is vertical). With enough power, it will eventually get air borne, but it's not a pretty sight.. If low even further, the wheels do not touch on land and the action is similar: very high drag and the wheels do not turn. If high enough, the FS-1 will sink in the water down to the C-mesh, but no real forward motion.

Back to the FS-1-- many details to yet add..

Enjoy a great and safe week.

Attachments

• LJ oops.jpg
    LJ oops.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 8
  • LJ DF1.jpg
    LJ DF1.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 7
  • LJ DF2.jpg
    LJ DF2.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 6
  • LJ DF3.jpg