For those who did, is it worth upgrading from RF8 to 9.5?

Striker

As title says, is it worth upgrading from RF8 to 9.5? Will be using the Specktrum dongle to connect my Radio Master TX16S Max to the PC as the controller.

Yes, absolutely, its worth it; to me. Whether its worth it to YOU, you will have to decide after you do it.

There are two ways to look at this. Is it working now, and do you enjoy it, and does it work ?? If the answer is yes, the upgrade may or may not go well, and may or may not be without snags.

The other way to look at it is this: if there are models in 9.5 that you want and don't have now, or fields, or if HH told you to upgrade to get current support, etc. In which case, you will probably enjoy the upgrade.

In any case, you will probably enjoy the upgrade. Just Do It.

marcus

Or dawdle a little bit... New versions tend to come out in time for the Holiday season. Sometimes they offer a small discount for very recent purchasers. But nothing guaranteed.

Hi Marcushh777 and Flapper, thanks for the replies. Incidentally I saw a thread you guys were really helpful with and it relates to my exact configuration using my TX18S Max with RF8 via USB and now getting the Spektrum dongle to go wirelessly. from what I read you are capped to 8 channels going wirelessly, bust cant recall USB allowing more channels. https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/tx16s-with-usb-connection-as-controller.53453/

I did get my TX to work with the USB cable after a lot of work to get around the 65% issues and the channel issues too, but when you disconnect, all the calibration and settings seems like they revert back to the 65% travel issue.

Guys using RF 9.5 did not seem to have USB connectivity issues nor the 65% travel issues and claimed there was no latency between using the USB as opposed to the TX wirelessly. RF 9.5 seems to have none of the above issues. I do like RF 8 and it has all I need but if 9.5 has better physics and have a more real feel to it, more conducive to the TX16S connectivity, I would get it. Having taken what Flapper said too about possibly a new release coming out for the holidays, I can wait too.

I remember in the past, if you bought the latest sim from RF and a few months later they released a new version, they will allow you to upgrade for free...anyone knows if this is still the case?

Realflight 7 to 8 was the most improvement in an update to realflight. I have owned all of the versions including Reaflight X. I currently run RF 8.5HH and do not see any reason to upgrade to RF9.5s. No real improvements in physics or graphics. I run RF on windows 11 and run on one machine. I have flown RF9.5s on a high end PC and the VR is still jerky and has poor frame rates with even a RTX3080. I can't justify spending full price on what is essentially an incremental upgrade. Let's see what RF10 has to offer if and when released. Aerofly has much better VR and 3rd party hardware support, but physics and graphics are similar.

Back