Free Upgrade and Discounted Upgrade Information

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
RealFlight 9.x users qualify for either a discounted upgrade to RealFlight Evolution or a free copy. Which one? It depends on whether you purchased 9.5S specifically or 9.0/9.5.

RealFlight 9.5S was released on December 7, 2021.

If you bought 9.5S or upgraded to it from RealFlight Trainer Edition after it was released, you will get RealFlight Evolution for free! It simply shows up in your Steam library alongside 9.5S. All you have to do is install it.

If you bought 9.0/9.5 or upgraded to it from RealFlight Trainer Edition prior to the release of 9.5S, you got 9.5S for free when it came out, and you are eligible for a 30% discount on Evolution. Choose the "Upgrade from RealFlight 9.5" option on the RealFlight Evolution store page. (RealFlight 9 DVD Edition users, you are also eligible; see this post for more information.)

If you have RealFlight Trainer Edition, you are also eligible for a 30% discount on Evolution. Choose the "Upgrade from RealFlight Trainer Edition" option on the Evolution store page.

It doesn't matter if you purchased from Steam or your local hobby shop or online. What matters is which version you bought originally.

Important note: Since all 9.0 & 9.5 purchasers were eligible for a free update to 9.5S (and Steam users received it automatically), just because you see 9.5S in your library now does not mean that you actually purchased 9.5S after its release, which is the only way to receive the completely free update.

Last edited:
Pretty silly thing to do mate imho. Since I purchased RF9.5 from HH I'd expect to get Evolution for free. The move to RF9.5s was mainly only a benefit to the developer to begin with so there is not good reason to treat 9.5 and 9.5s users differently imho. I can assure you that there is no way I'm paying for a pretty basic Evolution update, even with a 30% discount, which is a joke, lol!

If and when RF comes out with a more modern OS (like Aerofly rc8/9) I'll consider paying for this. Until then, I'll just enjoy RF9.5s for what it is. Cheers.

This is really confusing and I think you're going to get a lot of complaints.

As you can see in the attached screenshot I clearly bought 9.5S on Steam (as an upgrade from the Trainer edition).

But apparently I don't qualify for the free upgrade because I somehow bought 9.5S before it was released.

Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 11.27.49 am copy.jpg

Your explanation clearly explains why I don't have a free upgrade. Thank you! However, I really think the price for the upgrade, even discounted a little, is very excessive. I hate to keep rebuying virtually the same product just to get more new Horizon branded airplanes included. I guess this is the first time Horizon has disappointed me. I have thousands of dollars invested in their planes and electronics. It's a great company. Thanks again!

I just send it back my copy of realflight 9 to the shop, Ididin't open it yet). because I saw all this treat. I bought from the shop because the free update ... I bought the 27th october and they launghed the evolution on 28th, and asked for update to evolution 77$, I'm going to get the evolution but directlly, and then I have returned the purchase to the store

This is garbage. Thanks. You really should have made 9/9.5 eligible for the free upgrade.
There's no good reason for this other than money and not servicing the customer as you should be.
DX9 is a great indicator of what a job you are doing at support and care.
This is yet another unsurprising nail.

"If you bought 9.5S or upgraded to it from RealFlight Trainer Edition after it was released, you will get RealFlight Evolution for free! It simply shows up in your Steam library alongside 9.5S. All you have to do is install it."

I belive this describes my situation and yet as of this morning, I don't see RFE in my Stream Library. Yes, I have stopped and restarted Steam (not rebooted computer however). I got RF Trainer Edition when I purchased my Habu STS and paid for an upgrade to RF9.5S later on.

Any ideas?

People who bought 9.5 got 5 new aircraft and 1 new airport with the free upgrade to 9.5s.

People who bought 9.5s get over 200 aircraft and 30 airports with the free upgrade to Evolution.

Yet both paid the same price for the product.

The 30% discount for 9.5 buyers feels like a rip-off to me and, judging by the reviews, I'm not alone.

Exactly.

More than feels. 9.5S I remember it being presented as a free upgrade to the software distribution system to both benefit
future purchasers and to benefit Horizon Hobby in the distribution process and also a cost reduction in the distribution process.
And a hey help us out in doing this/getting it done by switching.
And as a small thanks they will give you the 5 planes and one airfield.
This was not any kind of actual release or point in which should have been used as free or reduced upgrade elegibility.
That should have been from what you purchased.
It's bullcrap for sure.
If you're not happy let them know and keep letting them know.
Otherwise it just gets swept under the rug.

To be fair though I think their upgrade eligibility in the past was on the major number releases (6,7,8,9) etc.
And not any x.5 update point.
And on top of that it was time based like if you had purchased it in the past 30 days or something like that.
But yeah - I'm not cool with it.
Is everyone else?
If you're not cool with it, say something often.
Otherwise I might be the only one pouting in the corner over here.

I just send it back my copy of realflight 9 to the shop, Ididin't open it yet). because I saw all this treat. I bought from the shop because the free update ... I bought the 27th october and they launghed the evolution on 28th, and asked for update to evolution 77$, I'm going to get the evolution but directlly, and then I have returned the purchase to the store
That's also a hit to the local hobby store.
Please let the store know and explain what happened. If stores are not happy that they are losing sales because of this
I would think they should be reaching out to HH on it.
My local store got the sale but I didn't get the free upgrade.

In addition someone who bought the Trainer Edition gets the same 'discount' price as those who bought the full 9.5 product.
The bean counters at HH obviously don't care about anyone who bought RF before they took it over.

I have RF8, and started at least at RF2. I've bought rf2,3,5,7,&8. My RF9 is the pre-HH version. I also bought RF-X, but had to return it because my hardware couldn't handle it. Since RF8 is basically a superset of RF Trainer edition, can I get the $69 upgrade price?

Pretty silly thing to do mate imho. Since I purchased RF9.5 from HH I'd expect to get Evolution for free. The move to RF9.5s was mainly only a benefit to the developer to begin with so there is not good reason to treat 9.5 and 9.5s users differently imho. I can assure you that there is no way I'm paying for a pretty basic Evolution update, even with a 30% discount, which is a joke, lol!

If and when RF comes out with a more modern OS (like Aerofly rc8/9) I'll consider paying for this. Until then, I'll just enjoy RF9.5s for what it is. Cheers.
with you 100, the same program years after years, direct x version 9 is 20 years old, it is a decent sim, but the controller configurator is useless, I fly jeti and ended up using rx2sim to finally get some satisfaction, when you upgraded to 9.5s is when they forked you the last time. this is all happening because it is solely horizons product now, when you got the free upgrades it was a knifedge product, horizon bought it in november of 21. they have made plenty of money off of this old dinosaur.all the new horizon stuff should be free and on here to promote your buying of the product. all old planes and trickle out a few new ones and charge you 100$ for the same game, they must think we are dimocrats, no more. i blew my upgrade on 9.5s what a waste, already have all the expansion paks will not be getting suckered again, develop a program if you want to charge top dollar you ****** ********

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned in the original post, the free upgrade offer is not limited only to people who purchased on Steam. Boxed copies of 9.5S from hobby shops get Evolution as well.

If you purchased RealFlight 9.0/9.5 after 9.5S was released (December 7, 2021) and just happened to get old stock, we'd like to help you out. If you can demonstrate that, please PM me with some evidence and we'll see what we can do.

I'm confused by the idea that there were a bunch of free upgrades from version to version in the past. .5 updates were always free within a major version. Often there were some limited-time rebates for recent purchasers of the previous version.

As I mentioned in the RealFlight Evolution announcement, this is the best upgrade deal on RealFlight in a very long time—perhaps ever! Eligibility for the free version goes back nearly a full year, and the discounted upgrade price does not expire or require you to fill out and mail in a rebate form then wait 6-8 weeks.

Is RF Evolution a stand-alone or is it going to overwrite my exciting copy of RF 9.5S? I like 9.5S and don't want to lose it. I paid for 9.5 then got a free upgrade too S. I also don't qualify for any discount for Evolution; it would be a purchase at full price. Is my money for 9.5 going to be waisted if I go to Evolution?

If you have RF9, you absolutely qualify for the discount! Just select the "Upgrade from RealFlight 9.5" purchase option in the Steam store.

Evolution is a completely separate, standalone installation.

Is RF Evolution a stand-alone or is it going to overwrite my exciting copy of RF 9.5S? I like 9.5S and don't want to lose it. I paid for 9.5 then got a free upgrade too S. I also don't qualify for any discount for Evolution; it would be a purchase at full price. Is my money for 9.5 going to be waisted if I go to Evolution?
You will have both RF 9.5S and RF Evolution installed and will be able to run either one. Evolution does not overwrite 9.5S.

As mentioned in the original post, the free upgrade offer is not limited only to people who purchased on Steam. Boxed copies of 9.5S from hobby shops get Evolution as well.

If you purchased RealFlight 9.0/9.5 after 9.5S was released (December 7, 2021) and just happened to get old stock, we'd like to help you out. If you can demonstrate that, please PM me with some evidence and we'll see what we can do.
I purchased RF9.5 on 12-15-21 from Amazon and then took the free upgrade to 9.5s on 9-30-22. I see no free Evolution offers on steam, it is asking for $69.99. If I'm qualified, how do I PM you a copy of my Amazon order?

Back