Free Upgrade and Discounted Upgrade Information

I purchased RF9.5 on 12-15-21 from Amazon and then took the free upgrade to 9.5s on 9-30-22. I see no free Evolution offers on steam, it is asking for $69.99. If I'm qualified, how do I PM you a copy of my Amazon order?
I purchased my 9.5 from Amazon in the same timeframe but did not upgrade to steam version due to some hardware issues{ my computer is a much older{gamimg} model and wouldnt load it} im not willing to buy a new computer just to gain a couple new models . As a loyal HH customer ,having purchased more than 30 planes ,..dozens of batteries ,chargers ,radios and other accessories for the past dozen yrs or so....I would think my continued patronage would be desired. With only a couple exceptions every single plane i " fly"on 9.5 are realflight depictions of actual HH models ive purchased/own. I Use 9.5 to hone my skills and see no real point to "flying" models i dont own....Since buying/installing 9.5 and trying out on 9.5 ive since bought in real time a couple of additional models not previously owned.The only real advantage to acquiring Evolution is the addition of a couple planes that i own in real time depicted on the new sim.,but im not willing to pay $70{or more...since i didnt upgrade to "9.5S" } for that priveledge.

Last edited:
People who bought 9.5 got 5 new aircraft and 1 new airport with the free upgrade to 9.5s.

People who bought 9.5s get over 200 aircraft and 30 airports with the free upgrade to Evolution.

Yet both paid the same price for the product.

The 30% discount for 9.5 buyers feels like a rip-off to me and, judging by the reviews, I'm not alone.
Funny thing is I can buy the disks for all 5 RF expansions used, on ebay, and will end up paying less than the $70 they're asking for me to upgrade to Evolution.

There are 8 Expansion packs in total.
Evolution also includes some Heli's from the Helicopter Mega pack.

Do the expansion packs work with Evolution? I seem to remember reading they don't but I can't find it.

Technoid you are correct, the Expansion Packs are included with RF Evolution (or most of the aircraft are), but this forum member says, he can purchase all the Expansion Packs for less than $70 and install them on his RF 9.5, cheaper than buying Evolution.
@mchroniclesword said there were 5 EP's, I merely pointed out there were 8 EP's plus Heli Mega Pack models in Evolution.

Technoid you are correct, the Expansion Packs are included with RF Evolution (or most of the aircraft are), but this forum member says, he can purchase all the Expansion Packs for less than $70 and install them on his RF 9.5, cheaper than buying Evolution.
@mchroniclesword said there were 5 EP's, I merely pointed out there were 8 EP's plus Heli Mega Pack models in Evolution.
Yeah I knew what you were talking about it just made me think about the expansion packs not working with Evolution when he mentioned buying all of them for such a low cost. I think it would be more than that.

I really mentioned the expansion packs because I thought I remembered someone from RealFlight mentioning they wouldn't work with RealFlight Evolution after they made it a 64-bit application. Does anyone remember that and know where it is?

Okay, I just had to try installing a couple of Expansion Packs in Evolution, when I get the list of which programs, I want to install the EP's to (RF8, RF9, RF9steam etc.) but Evolution is not show in the RF versions as an option for install.

People who bought 9.5 got 5 new aircraft and 1 new airport with the free upgrade to 9.5s.

People who bought 9.5s get over 200 aircraft and 30 airports with the free upgrade to Evolution.

Yet both paid the same price for the product.

The 30% discount for 9.5 buyers feels like a rip-off to me and, judging by the reviews, I'm not alone.
If it makes anyone feel better, I bought 9.5 8 days before 9.5s was released and can't get the free upgrade because of it, very unfortunate as a user since g2. Figured they get everyone up to evo so they can buy the quarterly DLC's, but sadly it's just gone downhill.

Last edited:
If you dig up the old release announcements of RealFlight's previous versions on RCgroups, everyone makes the same complaints. Version number goes up, hardly any new content added, graphics are no better, physics are probably the same, and no free upgrade for owners of old version unless you're lucky enough to have bought the most recent RealFlight very shortly before the surprise announcement of a new one.

If you dig up the old release announcements of RealFlight's previous versions on RCgroups, everyone makes the same complaints. Version number goes up, hardly any new content added, graphics are no better, physics are probably the same, and no free upgrade for owners of old version unless you're lucky enough to have bought the most recent RealFlight very shortly before the surprise announcement of a new one.
And I'm not here to tell anybody how to feel. I do want to make sure factually correct information is presented, though, so everybody can properly form their own opinions.

As described here, I don't think anybody could accurately say RealFlight Evolution has "hardly any new content added".

In mentioning the upgrade options or lack thereof for past versions, you're actually making the same point I did elsewhere in that announcement when I said "This is the best upgrade deal on RealFlight in a very long time—perhaps ever! Eligibility for the free version goes back nearly a full year, and the discounted upgrade price does not expire or require you to fill out and mail in a rebate form then wait 6-8 weeks." I get that it is disappointing to be just on the other side of the dividing line like Jszczur is, though, regardless of where it is drawn.

I purchased 9.0 with Interlink, updated to 9.5, converted to 9.5S, and then paid the full $99.99 for the Evolution product. Additionally, I paid $4.99 shipping for the email that gave me my new product key.
I really wish I'd known about the upgradability of what I had.
I paid $101.63 for a new installation key!

So, Sadly I just purchased 9.5 today. I knew nothing about 9.5s or EVO. Although many of the aircraft i am seeking are on the swap pages, it would be nice if the OEM would inform the retailers. So unsuspecting customers can be better informed about their product and upgrades.

I purchased RF 9.5 with the Spektrum InterlinkDX controller, a nice big box, from a hobby store back on Feb 2021. When I installed the sim back then, it showed an "update" button on the user interface, and I was glad to see that. I ran that update and for almost two years I have been enjoying RF 9.5. I'm not new to RF, I had G4 back in the day with the Interlink Elite controller, then upgraded to 7.5.

I "fly" almost every day, to keep the muscle memory fresh. During these almost two years with RF 9.5, each time I started the sim I was waiting to see if there was another "update", or some new feature, or some improvements, or something... BUT THERE WAS NOTHING. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. This is the only software I have that NEVER has any updates or improvements... for two years... geez.

To my surprise, it was yesterday when I found out about the new "Evolution" version, and all the explanation & controversy about upgrading. It felt bad, really bad, like a scam. Not a single update in 2 years and then asking for 70 bucks???? I went and read all this thread in the forum and noticed not a lot of happiness lingering here, so I decided to investigate more. I went to the Steam store to see the reviews there and God... if it was my company and my product, I would pay attention to those comments. I'm glad I read those comments before taking my decision. My conclusion is: HARD PASS on this. I will not update at this time and save the 70 bucks to get better value somewhere else: other software, woodworking tools, books, or whatever, but not a "low value" scam-like update.

I don't understand where Horizon is going with this, and I don't think they do either. Buying RealFlight has one of two purposes for Horizon:

1. It's a money maker in and of itself. They want it to be the best sim it can be in order to attract the most buyers for the software. If that's the case, they need more than just a dozen extra E-Flite planes that I don't own and am not really interested in. They need licensed planes from other manufacturers too.
2. It's a vehicle to sell Horizon products. It doesn't need to make money on its own because its purpose is just to get people interested in E-Flite, Blade, etc. If that's the case, then they need to get it into as many hands as possible for a cheap as possible.

Either strategy is fine, but for now, it's the worst of both worlds. It doesn't have any planes I actually own or want to buy, and it's also expensive. And it will only get worse since they're going to charge for new planes moving forward. It's like they're asking me to pay them for the privilege of them advertising to me.

I'll upgrade to Evolution if they either get a bunch of new planes from other companies or drastically reduce the price, but for now it's a firm no for me.

Back