Free Upgrade and Discounted Upgrade Information

Oh, additionally: I have seen a few recent "unboxing & review" videos by youtubers... The clear opinion for existing owners of RF 9.5 is DO NOT pay for the upgrade to Evolution because it is not worth it (even at the discounted price), at least for now. So, it is clearly not a case of a single customer or two complaining about the price of an upgrade... it is more of a consensus opinion that there isn't a value proposition in this upgrade.

RealFlight 9.x users qualify for either a discounted upgrade to RealFlight Evolution or a free copy. Which one? It depends on whether you purchased 9.5S specifically or 9.0/9.5.

RealFlight 9.5S was released on December 7, 2021.

If you bought 9.5S or upgraded to it from RealFlight Trainer Edition after it was released, you will get RealFlight Evolution for free! It simply shows up in your Steam library alongside 9.5S. All you have to do is install it.

If you bought 9.0/9.5 or upgraded to it from RealFlight Trainer Edition prior to the release of 9.5S, you got 9.5S for free when it came out, and you are eligible for a 30% discount on Evolution. Choose the "Upgrade from RealFlight 9.5" option on the RealFlight Evolution store page. (RealFlight 9 DVD Edition users, you are also eligible; see this post for more information.)

If you have RealFlight Trainer Edition, you are also eligible for a 30% discount on Evolution. Choose the "Upgrade from RealFlight Trainer Edition" option on the Evolution store page.

It doesn't matter if you purchased from Steam or your local hobby shop or online. What matters is which version you bought originally.

Important note: Since all 9.0 & 9.5 purchasers were eligible for a free update to 9.5S (and Steam users received it automatically), just because you see 9.5S in your library now does not mean that you actually purchased 9.5S after its release, which is the only way to receive the completely free update.
DMing you now. My Dad purchased for me “old stock” at full price from my local hobby shop not realizing the version purchased (9.5) was discontinued. Later when I went through the process of trying to upgrade (seemingly for free) to Evolution I’m told by Horizon Hobby email support that my situation doesn’t qualify even though the price difference between the two products at my local hobby shop is only $10 CAD yet I’m expected to pay ~$100 CAD to upgrade through Steam. C’mon.

I purchased 9.5s in November and only got a licence card in the box, the actual software was downloaded from Steam but i have neither 9.5s nor Evolution showing in my steam library.

How come and how do i get the evolution upgrade

If you were eligible for the free upgrade for purchasing 9.5S, then Steam should have added it to your library.

The fact that 9.5S isn't in your Library despite the fact that you have installed it, then there's something else going on with Steam. Maybe you're not looking in the correct place? Or maybe it's under another Steam account?

There is always a smart a....

After 3 pages of postings: "what do you mean by them not caring about their users" ...geez

There is always a smart a....

After 3 pages of postings: "what do you mean by them not caring about their users" ...geez
Gosh I thought I was courteous. I hadn't read any of your comments so I wanted to know how you felt.

When I saw the post that RealFlight Evolution is offering users of 9.5s a free upgrade, I felt good about that. I have purchased 3 versions of this software so far, and currently have 9.5s installed through Steam. But then when I went to upgrade, Steam is telling me that I have to pay for the upgrade. Upon further investigation, I guess I purchased 9.5, but got the 9.5s upgrade for free. As someone who has played video games for the last 45 years, I am totally good with paying for a product that I like. However, the problem with the version upgrade for free vs paying is that there is not a pre-determined clarification for how long a release version will be good for when you initially make the purchase. Just giving the latest version a new name feels deceptive to customers, when essentially, its the same game. I want to know that my product is good with all included bug fixes and content upgrades for X number of years, and what the plan is for the version I purchased at the time I buy it. Simply adding additional skins, plane configurations, or locations does not warrant repayment for a product that I have already purchased. I run a gaming rig, and would expect that the latest rendering technology would be deployed in order to warrant charging for a new version. I would like to see the inclusion of graphical settings in menus which are similar to recently released games on the market (selectable wide range of resolution options, ray tracing, DSSL, stuff like that). I think my best solution right now is to just download planes and locations developed by users in the RF SwapPages forums until there are more substantial upgrades to the software that warrant additional financial investment. We should all be voting with our $ to tell a company what we care about. I have done that with many real life planes, radios, and receivers, and I really like those products.

Ok here is my view on all this that I have read through. I've been flying rc since 1976 and have had realflight 4.5, RF6, 6.5 and now RF8. I was thinking of going for RF Evo but what stopped me is this. Rarely do I fly Photofields, I like creating my own airports. I also like flying from the pilot seat but not always, and that can't be done in most or all photofield airports. I also like flying through or around challenging objects like tubes and mazes. I fly mostly 3D aircraft like Extreme flight, AJ, Skywing, Pilot rc, Trex heli and Mikado heli. Also, some of the BEST aircraft to fly are created by individuals on Swap Pages. So, the E-flite and Blade aircraft I'm not really drawn to. I guess I'm thinking why would I want to spend upwards of 100 to 200 dallars on a product I would only be interested in maybe a small part of. Upgrading just because others have and then not wanting or needing what is offered doesn't make sense to me. I think I'll keep my money.

Question...do the expansion packs install/work properly on the Steam version? Also, what would be the most economical way to get from RF 7.5 to something compatible with the new Interlink DX? I bought the DX thinking it would work with my RF 7.5, but I understand it requires RF 8 or above, and I can't find RF 8 anywhere.

Question...do the expansion packs install/work properly on the Steam version? Also, what would be the most economical way to get from RF 7.5 to something compatible with the new Interlink DX? I bought the DX thinking it would work with my RF 7.5, but I understand it requires RF 8 or above, and I can't find RF 8 anywhere.
Actually the DX conreoller doesn't work great with RF8 (front left 3-way only works as a 2-way). You really need rf9 or higher. I have rf9.5s and it works great. Also works great with Aerofly RC8 (available on Steam). I use it mainly for VR and rf9.5s with a 2d monitor.

Actually the DX conreoller doesn't work great with RF8 (front left 3-way only works as a 2-way). You really need rf9 or higher. I have rf9.5s and it works great. Also works great with Aerofly RC8 (available on Steam). I use it mainly for VR and rf9.5s with a 2d monitor.
Thanks!

The Expansion Packs are fully supported in the Steam versions of RF8 & RF9.

They are not supported in RealFlight Evolution, but nearly all of that content was moved into the main product for free!

Previous versions of RealFlight have been supplanted by Evolution, though you could still find an older boxed copy of RF8 or 9 that would still work. But if you are going to upgrade at all, I don't think it makes sense to do anything other than go straight to the latest version currently available. Evolution is going to live in the marketplace for a long time, and you'll get all the updates along the way. (That is likely to become increasingly important for compatibility reasons.)

I purchased RealFlight 9.5S in June 2022 which I installed on Steam. Just become aware of the new version (V10 or Evolution) that came out just 4 months after my purchase.

This thread suggests that as I purchased 9.5S I should get a free upgrade to Evolution applied automatically by Steam but this hasn't happened - they are simply offering me a 30% discount - i.e. treating me as if I purchased RealFlight 9.5 not 9.5S.

Why is this? Is this happening to anyone else?

Feel cheated to be honest.

When I saw the post that RealFlight Evolution is offering users of 9.5s a free upgrade, I felt good about that. I have purchased 3 versions of this software so far, and currently have 9.5s installed through Steam. But then when I went to upgrade, Steam is telling me that I have to pay for the upgrade. Upon further investigation, I guess I purchased 9.5, but got the 9.5s upgrade for free. As someone who has played video games for the last 45 years, I am totally good with paying for a product that I like. However, the problem with the version upgrade for free vs paying is that there is not a pre-determined clarification for how long a release version will be good for when you initially make the purchase. Just giving the latest version a new name feels deceptive to customers, when essentially, its the same game. I want to know that my product is good with all included bug fixes and content upgrades for X number of years, and what the plan is for the version I purchased at the time I buy it. Simply adding additional skins, plane configurations, or locations does not warrant repayment for a product that I have already purchased. I run a gaming rig, and would expect that the latest rendering technology would be deployed in order to warrant charging for a new version. I would like to see the inclusion of graphical settings in menus which are similar to recently released games on the market (selectable wide range of resolution options, ray tracing, DSSL, stuff like that). I think my best solution right now is to just download planes and locations developed by users in the RF SwapPages forums until there are more substantial upgrades to the software that warrant additional financial investment. We should all be voting with our $ to tell a company what we care about. I have done that with many real life planes, radios, and receivers, and I really like those products.
Possibly not - I purchased 9.5S (in June 2022) and am still getting screwed over by Steam - they are treating me as if I purchased version 9.5 - I did not.

But even so, no free upgrade, just offering to sell it to be for 30% off.

Very frustrating because there doesn't appear to be any way to contact Steam about this.

Doh!, feel so stupid. Just read the instructions in the first post properly - says that Evolution will appear in my library for install.

I have all my favourite games in groups so didn't see anything - then occurred to me to check in the 'uncategorised list' and there it was - installed now.

Hello, a local hobby shop has a boxed version of RF 9.5s (with controller). If I purchase that from them, will I be eligible to upgrade to Evolution for free when I activate the code on Steam that comes in the 9.5s box? Too be clear, I am typing this May 2023… I only say this because I know 9.5 S came out last year, so I want to put the question in context. I hate to see a brand new box of 9.5 S sitting on a shelf and nobody wants to buy it because they can’t upgrade to Evolution for free. Thanks

As mentioned in the original post, the free upgrade offer is not limited only to people who purchased on Steam. Boxed copies of 9.5S from hobby shops get Evolution as well.

If you purchased RealFlight 9.0/9.5 after 9.5S was released (December 7, 2021) and just happened to get old stock, we'd like to help you out. If you can demonstrate that, please PM me with some evidence and we'll see what we can do.
That´s not true. I´ve got a DVD box of 9.5 and no Evolution at all.

Back