Frozen Screen

Steve Balazs

I have installed RF9.5 on my Windows 10 Laptop and it works great. I installed RF9.5 on my new desktop using Edge with Windows 11 and at first it worked. I logged off and now when I log back in, I see a screen with a jet on it but none of the functions work when I use the mouse to change aircraft nor do any of the controls work from my simulator. I have uninstalled it a bunch of times and when trying to install from the two disks I receive a message that the .exe file cannot be found so I have used the download method and I can install the program but after that first time nothing works. Any Help out there?

Attachments

• Frozen Screen.png
    Frozen Screen.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
What processor does your new desktop have and what graphics card is being used, RF has problems with some of them.

Did you install the RF program with administrator rights.
Did you install the directx9 files when prompted.
What controller are you using, if it is the DX, you could try connecting it with a USB Hub.
As Technoid referred to, if you have an AMD GPU, you will need the latest drivers for the GPU to interact with DirectX9.
If you have a 12th generation CPU with integral GPU, Realflight will not work, you need to have a dedicated GPU.

Last edited:
I'm having the exact same issue. The simulator runs fine on my 4 year old laptop. I just got a brand new laptop with the Intel Evo Platform, Intel Core i7-12700H CPU. The start up screen is frozen. I see the jet but can't do anything else. I've applied all Windows updates available and updated the graphics driver but the issue is still there.

I'm having the exact same issue. The simulator runs fine on my 4 year old laptop. I just got a brand new laptop with the Intel Evo Platform, Intel Core i7-12700H CPU. The start up screen is frozen. I see the jet but can't do anything else. I've applied all Windows updates available and updated the graphics driver but the issue is still there.
If you have a 12th generation CPU with integral GPU, Realflight will not work, you need to have a dedicated GPU.
Did you read the post that was visible on your screen while you were typing your response? We already know it won't work on your new laptop - there are several other threads & posts about the same issue. AFAIK, they all say about the same thing. The onboard GPU's for 12th gen Intel CPU's don't work. If your new laptop also has a dedicated GPU, you will need to configure RF to use it instead of the onboard GPU. It appears that dual GPU laptops default to use the onboard one to minimize power consumption & give maximum battery life... which won't work.

I have installed RF9.5 on my Windows 10 Laptop and it works great. I installed RF9.5 on my new desktop using Edge with Windows 11 and at first it worked. I logged off and now when I log back in, I see a screen with a jet on it but none of the functions work when I use the mouse to change aircraft nor do any of the controls work from my simulator. I have uninstalled it a bunch of times and when trying to install from the two disks I receive a message that the .exe file cannot be found so I have used the download method and I can install the program but after that first time nothing works. Any Help out there?

Attachments

• System Specs.png
    System Specs.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 8
Also note, that all was working fine as I used the application for over two hours switching aircraft and flying fields. I went to eat dinner and when I returned this is the issue I found, a frozen Screen! I have uninstalled it a few times and note neither of my disks wok as I am told they cannot find the .exe files. I have a contract through Walmart, and they logged into my machine cleared out all instances of Real Flight, reinstalled it and I receive the same error. I am using windows 11 and as I have stated the application did work well and now as you can see all I have is a frozen screen.

Attachments

• Frozen Screen.png
    Frozen Screen.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Did you read the post that was visible on your screen while you were typing your response? We already know it won't work on your new laptop - there are several other threads & posts about the same issue. AFAIK, they all say about the same thing. The onboard GPU's for 12th gen Intel CPU's don't work. If your new laptop also has a dedicated GPU, you will need to configure RF to use it instead of the onboard GPU. It appears that dual GPU laptops default to use the onboard one to minimize power consumption & give maximum battery life... which won't work.
I see nothing posted like that and the first time I loaded the software via download provided by Horizon as my disk will not load at all.

Thanks, but not savvy enough to understand your response regarding GPUs or what to do. I did contact Horizon before they closed on Friday and they stated with my Desktop configuration it should work, I should think they should replace my disks and when I contacted them they made no mention of GPUs

Same here I even contacted the Walmart team who logged into my unit, and they stated it is loaded correctly and they cannot trouble shoot beyond the point where they have verified that it is loaded correctly. They removed all instances of real flight, reinstalled it using the download and I have the same results. I contacted Horizon via chat, and they made no mention of GPUs or other means of any reconfiguration that is required. I asked why the program will not load using the two disks provided when I purchased the unit, and they had np response.

What processor does your new desktop have and what graphics card is being used, RF has problems with some of them.
Then they should fix it as when I purchased the package, I saw no mention of problems like this. I am a PM and if we put out junk for our clients, we fix it and we do it quickly

What are the exact steps to do this and why are companies like Horizon making this clear.

What is the model number of your new desktop, I would like to see the system specs on the manufacturers web site.

Right now it looks like you're problem is your computer is using the Intel 12th Generation CPU's built-in graphics, which doesn't support a needed function that RealFlight Evolution uses. So your fastest fix might be buying an Add-In Graphics board, and if you do that be sure to buy an NVidia Graphics Card because the AMD cards often have problems with DX9 which RealFlight uses. But so far NVidia cards have been fine. So if you're interested in doing that let us know what budget you want to spend and someone will give you some suggestions. RealFlight isn't a very demanding program so you don't need a top-of-the-line graphics card for it. I know there are people here that know graphics cards very well and can give you good suggestions. I have an older top-of-the-line card so I'm not the best person to advise you on the lower-cost cards.

Could you click on the "Start" icon on the taskbar, click the "All Apps" and scroll down to look for either AMD control panel, or Nvidia control panel in the list of programs.

Attachments

• All Apps-1.jpg
    All Apps-1.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 5
  • All Apps-2.jpg
    All Apps-2.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 5
Another way to confirm which CPU and graphics card you have... go to the Start menu and run a program called "Device Manager".

The make/model of your CPU is listed under "Processors" (multiple times, for multiple cores) and the graphics is under "Display Adapters".

If your Display Adapter says "Intel" something, and your CPU is an Intel that has a number in the 12000's after the dash, then you're seeing the known problem with 12th Gen Intel integrated graphics and RealFlight. There isn't an easy fix for this, as the Intel graphics driver for that CPU doesn't support something RF needs to run. Eventually either Intel or RF will fix it, but that could be a while. In the meantime, the only other solution is to buy a dedicated graphics card as mentioned earlier and add it to your system if that's possible. If you have a laptop, you're stuck.

This screen shot is from my system, with Intel graphics and a 9th Generation processor (-9700), so RF is working fine for me.

1669587569009.png

Back