G2 is pretty cool - still

js3862

Yeah yeah, I know it's way old but I just got a copy to play with and possibly use to teach some kids to fly and I have to say it's still pretty cool. With the add-ons you get just about as much variety in planes as you do with the current product and while the 3d graphics are a bit weird at times the planes fly pretty close to how they fly in G4. Overall it's a pretty decent SIM still.

Anybody that still has G2 running that wants to do a multiplayer session PM me and let me know. I'd like to try it out and see if it would be worthwhile using and trying to pickup more copies for kids.

G2 MP worked fantastically. There are different ports that need to be opened, compared to G4.5. As long as RF can see the outside IP address, you'll be fine. But that would not apply for a LAN MP session, anyway.

jeffpn said:
G2 MP worked fantastically. There are different ports that need to be opened, compared to G4.5. As long as RF can see the outside IP address, you'll be fine. But that would not apply for a LAN MP session, anyway.

I read through the help file on this and all I found mentioned port wise was that there is a default port that is used if you don't specify an optional port. I would love to test the MP out because system spec. wise G2 really seems to be pretty much perfect to run on 1, my old crappy laptop and 2, on the computers of some of the kids that I would like to introduce this to. Most not having home PCs with GeForce 8800 GT based cards and all. :)

Also, I found that installing the MS loopback adapter and giving it the same IP as my public IP on the other side of the firewall makes life a bit better.

Any way of changing which server it tries to connect to first? The primary appears to be offline while the secondary is still up and running.

Also odd, I didn't get a notice about your reply via e-mail. Hopefully that's a one off and notices are still working.

I'm wondering, are there still G2 sessions available? I had to think a bit about your primary and secondary server question. I forgot that it tried one server, than the other. I don't recall there being a way to switch which server is hit first. Refresh my memory, if you will. There is a way to select whether you're looking for an internet session or a local session, right?

jeffpn said:
I'm wondering, are there still G2 sessions available?

Technically there can be but there's currently nobody out there hosting. I could [ and have :) ] host but I think most people that would still be using G2 either gave up on finding a MP session long ago or possibly didn't use it that much to start with. Still, if MP works reasonably well, I could procure a few more copies and setup virtual fun flys with the kids. I'm sure they would love it and the low system requirements and MP functionality fits well in the lower spec kids computer arena.

jeffpn said:
I had to think a bit about your primary and secondary server question. I forgot that it tried one server, than the other. I don't recall there being a way to switch which server is hit first. Refresh my memory, if you will. There is a way to select whether you're looking for an internet session or a local session, right?

Yes, if you are looking for an Internet session you would go into the Mulitplayer menu and click on 'Search'. That's where it hits the primary and secondary servers but the dialogue doesn't have any user editable fields other than the first dialogue box that you provide your "Player Name" in when you're choosing a provider (e.g. directplay8 for IP). If you were looking for a local MP session, or one you knew the Internet address to already, you would go to the Multiplayer menu, click on Join, and then you would be presented with the dialogue box in the picture below.

Also, there is no setting that I can find that stipulates what server it tries to connect to first. I have so far been unsuccessful in either registry of file system searches for any reference to the primary or secondary servers by name or IP in a config file or reg entry. So, they either don't exist or are encrypted. If it's hard coded to seek out a specific server by IP the only solution to that would be breaking out the hex editor and trying to hack at the .exe but, that's an uphill battle with potentially little to no payoff.

... ramble ramble ... jargon jargon ...

Attachments

• G2_IP-Search.jpg
    G2_IP-Search.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Jimmy ParkFlyer said:
Look Dude G2 Is Sooooo 3 yrs ago.

lol, try discontinued 5 years ago. But, yeah, that's the point, it's almost 10 yrs old and it's still a usable training tool. Granted the 3d does leave a lot to be desired, especially the flat rotating trees but, I contend it's still cool for what it is.

js3862 said:
... especially the flat rotating trees...
Yeah, I went to my local garden center and asked for some "flat rotating trees", and they looked at me like I had rocks for brains. Come to think of it, I've been getting that look alot lately...

Back