G2 Will Not Install

snap2

Hello,

I have become frustrated in attempting to install G2 in my Vista machine. If anyone can assist me it would be greatly appreciated.

What it won't do:
- accept the installation fix
- find the cd drive
- uninstall
- install in safe mode
- install with my AV disabled

What is does do:
- crash/stalls my pc
- threatens my AV software (when running)
- gives me errors - 32495 and 32494
- sometimes nothing
- remains in my program list and will not uninstall

I've tried everything I know and the problems I receive are not consistant. It appears this software does not want to be installed. As this was a gift to my son, it would be great if Icould find a way to get it installed.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Damon

Try copying the installation disc to your hard drive to see if that's successful. That will tell you if the disc is okay.

Some AV programs do not like the way RF runs. You may need to disable it in order to install RF. I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, and it likes Real Flight.

Also see this page about Vista
http://www.knifeedge.com/rfg3_vista_compatibility.php

Also, you may find some info on your errors in these forums. Try searching by the error number. Many errors have been documented here.

Thanks jeffpn!

I did try installing from the the HD and have disabled my AV too. Tried Safe Mode, tried the install fix. I've read the vista compatibility as well, but it doesn't apply as I haven't been able to even get to the point in the process.

I have searched the error codes and read the majority of the posts. Quite a few of them.... is contacting RF support an option for G2? There doesn't seem to be an well posted solution.

Thanks again, Damon

You can always try contacting tech support on Monday. They'll probably be able to help you.

Are you using Norton? What about a theme manager?

Thanks for your help jeffpn!

I may contact support on Tues, I may not. Honestly any software with this much trouble is not worth it. I have wasted way too much time on it already. It's obvious many others have experienced similar grief across this version and others and the developer should address these issues in their releases, before they're released, not just offering support after the fact. It's just plain lazy. This is the worst software install I've experienced and it's not all that great a piece of software to begin with.

Thanks again anyway.

You are among a very slim minority having difficulty with installation. I'm sorry you're having trouble, but you are far from typical. Think about it - if alot of people had your trouble installing G2, there wouldn't have been a G3. Call tech support. There's something in YOUR system causing you troubles. I and almost everyone else did not have that kind of trouble. People don't post successful installation stories!

Something to keep in mind is that G2 is over 10 years old. It was not designed or released for the nonexistent-at-that-time Windows Vista. The current version, RealFlight 6, does not have the kinds of problems you describe.

The G3 Vista compatibility link jeffpn provided is probably a good place to start if you want to run G2 on a modern system. It will only get you so far, though, because it addresses G3 compatibility, not G2.

We declared "end of life" for G2 some time ago, and at this point it is officially unsupported. Even so, when time allows, some of the tech support personnel will still do their best to help out G2 customers. You could try contacting them, but keep in mind that there is no guarantee they will be able to assist you.

Tips:

Rick click and run exe "As Administrator"
You need to get the update that doesn't install anymore through the auto-updater to get the USB controller to work.

Try reading this...
7: https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=27410
XP: http://www.gpsoftware.com/kb/q01-1041.htm
2000: http://www.gpsoftware.com/kb/q01-1040.htm

I found the update somewhere and saved it to my desktop. It's like a 7-8MB file. This is the driver for the G2 controller for XP/Vista/7

Try searching google for: RealFlight2_00_723

Once you point the device driver to the .inf file, the controller will be recognized and let you into the program.

Remember, "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" pretty much every .exe you run. If you don't know what I'm talking about go back to the link above that the previous poster left you.

Last edited:
You are among a very slim minority having difficulty with installation. I'm sorry you're having trouble, but you are far from typical. Think about it - if alot of people had your trouble installing G2, there wouldn't have been a G3. Call tech support. There's something in YOUR system causing you troubles. I and almost everyone else did not have that kind of trouble. People don't post successful installation stories!

This is not true! This program is one of the biggest pains in the *** I've ever run into. Yes, it is 10 yrs old, so it's not like the installers are for our OS's, and the update servers have been brought down long ago. It took me a good 4hrs to assemble all the pieces of research and finding the right drivers to get this to work.

I first ran into an error with the sound card, and strangely fixed it by plugging a mini-plug into one of the ports. Past that error, I ran into the XP driver issue, which I had to solve by learning to install the .inf for my OS (Windows 7) then I was able to get the program to launch and I could install the add-ons.

Don't give up, I've been able to get it to run!

This is not true! This program is one of the biggest pains in the *** I've ever run into.

Not by your own words...

I first ran into an error with the sound card, and strangely fixed it by plugging a mini-plug into one of the ports.

So that's a computer problem.

Past that error, I ran into the XP driver issue, which I had to solve by learning to install the .inf for my OS (Windows 7)

So that too was a computer problem.

Then I was able to get the program to launch and I could install the add-ons.

Kudos on your persistence. But Jeff was not off the mark it seems.

Back