G3.5 Yak (Standard) IRL equivalent?

CanCanCase

Been out of the hobby for quite a while. Still flying G3.5 and am FINALLY getting some IRL stick time to go with!

The basic Yak 54 (Standard) that comes grouped with G3.5... Is that supposed to be based on the Great Planes Giant 25% YAK 54? If so, what engine (currently available on the market) most resembles the G3.5 Yak?

I guess what I'm really after is an aerobatic performer with a wingspan greater than 80" - not TOO much bigger though...it's got to fit in my Yukon! I'd like as much similarity between G3.5 and what I'm likely to get out of the box IRL. Money is only a minor obstacle, so what would you build >80" where G3.5=IRL?

-Case

Sorry Jeff...

Nope... you're just reading and replying faster than I can adjust the sig. What does laundry have to do with RF? Easy! The more people dirty their clothes and use my businesses on the OR coast, the more modeling I can do!

It's just like the 200 or so posts I made here when I lived in Alaska... the more folks who chartered my boat with Alaskan Marine Adventures, the more I could sink into computer hardware and RF.

-Case

jeffpn said:
I like your new signature! :) ...
(voluntarily removed after my 3-year-old pointed out the hypocrisy/irony of this thread so far.)
So, back to the OT... >80" wingspan setup suggestions where G3.5=IRL?

-Case

Last edited:
So, back to the original thread topic

So I ended up building the GP Performance Series 25% Yak54.

The default Yak54 is a bit larger. Any tips on editing the G3.5 Yak54 to more closely match the GP 25% Yak54 with an XYZ 53cc Twin swinging a Zinger 20x6 prop?

There are also a few "new" Yak54 models in the Airplane MegaPack and several Expansion Packs... I'm thinking it might be time to scrap 3.5 and pick up G6, but are there any size and engine specs available for the various Yak54s out since G3.5?

-Case

flexible said:
Can, if you Can, go ahead and get RF6, you will get a more real sim experance.
That's not the question. The question is can anyone point to an AV or set of modifications to make to the stock G3.5 Yak54 (I believe it's based on "Russian Thunder") to make it closer in size, scale and performance to the actual GreatPlanes Performance Series 25% Yak54?

I'm anticipating the answer to be something to the effect of "G3.5 is a discontinued product and is no longer supported." That's fine. In that case, the followup question is whether any of the G6, EP, or AMP Yak54 models are sized similar to the IRL model in question. Then again, this is a 3.5 board, so the place for a question about G6, EP or AMP models probably isn't here, is it?

-Case

CanCanCase said:
That's not the question. The question is can anyone point to an AV or set of modifications to make to the stock G3.5 Yak54 (I believe it's based on "Russian Thunder") to make it closer in size, scale and performance to the actual GreatPlanes Performance Series 25% Yak54?

If there isn't anything already on the swap pages, ( search is your friend ), it would not be difficult to make an AV since the default Yak is larger.

CanCanCase said:
I'm anticipating the answer to be something to the effect of "G3.5 is a discontinued product and is no longer supported." That's fine. In that case, the followup question is whether any of the G6, EP, or AMP Yak54 models are sized similar to the IRL model in question. Then again, this is a 3.5 board, so the place for a question about G6, EP or AMP models probably isn't here, is it?

-Case

You can try loading different AV's from the swap pages, paying attention to the "version" numbers for G3, then open each in the editor to see if the size of the model corresponds to what you are looking for.

Back