G4 admin/designers etc.

ven2s

Tell me, why should I get G4 over the G3.5 that I already have?? Give me $200.00 worth of incentive.

Last edited:
ven2s said:
Tell me, why should I get G4 over the G3.5 that I already have?? Give me $200.00 worth of incentive.

Why would anyone need to rationalize it to you?

Either don't spend the money or do... that's it. It's your decision and your money.

Nothing more.

Some of the future posts on the swap pages may evade you, but you can continue to fly G3.5 all you want.

Now that I have gotten the emotional answers, let me hear the factual ones! By the way, you might be surprised that I am not on one side or the other of this...they are trying to sell this new thing...let them sell it. All I see are sheep running to the trough! I don't need you guys to answer my question, I need someone from Knife Edge!! Convince me, here's your interview....

Not trying to be "emotional" merely telling you that it's basically your decision.

Some get really hung up over all of this, but it's pretty academic.

If you find that you want the new features and consider them worth the upgrade expense, go for it.

If not wait.

We still don't know about any rebates for existing customers, so until we do all of this pre-empts the whole thing.

However much as with any software upgrade, once the preponderance of users switches over to a newer version, users of the older version start feeling the pressure to upgrade.

I'm still using MS Office 2003... :D

I'd rather pay KE than Microshaft.

I'll probably get it for the radio :-D
Actually, to be honest, I need a new transmitter for realflight, mine has connection problems, and I might as well upgrade if I'm gonna get a new tranny for Realflight.

Wants Interests And Needs

All I see are sheep running to the trough!
hay Champ. Not jumping on you or down your neck here.

Ever heard of Pavlov’s dogs.

Look it up it is interesting.

Now.
In the Analogy you gave. I would consider Myself one of those Sheep. I am running to the trough because of one of my basic motivators “ need “. (Food)

Want (Like OP said) is another motivator.
there is another.
Interests .

Now ;
I already have G3 so It appears I don't need G4.
But, Like I said in another post. I am thinking about slope soaring and Dynamic soaring <aero and heli> and this may be aided to a greater extent by the new weather features. This is my one of Personal Points of Interests and so I can not use it to convince you.

You have to List your own Wants Interests and needs . and look for those.
The Features functions etc that I have noticed with G4 are based on My own Wants Interests and needs.
These may be different to others peoples Features Noticed because of there own list of Wants Interests and needs.

Take the radio for Example. I didn't know it was there because It wasn't on my Want or need list (Those being the Primary motivators, need being the Prime) but now I see that it is there. I am Interested .

Seems the more we all talk about it. the more we notice.

I hope I have helped explain it (OP had already done so, but just backing it up)

Bryce.

Last edited:
Well I am still waiting for the people who make this thing to put in there two cents; see this is like those talk shows with two women fighting over a guy and the guy, sitting in the middle, is dead silent. They don't need your defense, I just want them to simply convince me why?

By the way, try not to confuse need with want...none of us need this thing except those who don't have an RC sim at all and are new to RC or don't want to demolish a nice new bird. My first degree was in advertising...trust me, this is all want for most of us.

They need to advertise this new G4 way better, they need to really show the pluses all the way around, cause they have a very diverse clientel many of whom are seeing this as nothing less than a fancy upgrade rather than a giant leap ahead into a whole new design.

You might want to dynamic soar, or fly seaplanes...and this G4 looks great for that, but others want more realistic flying, working parts, detail, and so on. And G4 probably has all that; but an upgrade could have that too. When I had G2, I remember having an F-16 or F-15 with spring loaded, shock absorbing gear... maybe it was a fluke; cause when I went to G3, that effect totally disappeared, now it's back in this "totally new" package called G4.

Don't get me wrong, I like Knife Edge stuff, else I would not have been with them for the past 6 or 7 years and I understand all you guys who are running down to your dealer to get this G4! Great, but to spend 200 bucks, or more for you all in other countries, for what could probably have been an upgrade.

I will wait for this new car to run off the lot, be driven a bit, shake out a few of its bugs and then I will begin to consider it compared to its competition. Because if the competition is superior, I will take my 200 bucks elsewhere; I mean I'd be a fool not to.
So again, where are the people who really need to answer this post; I am calling them out, sell your product!

While I'm aware that the guys at KE have always been rather uncommunicative, it also surprises me that there is no bigger announcement. Neither on the KE site nor on the Realflight homepage there is any mention of G4. Indeed, there's not even any info on EP4 as far as I can see and it was releases more than a month ago.
If this is KE's advertising strategy then, yeah well.
Other companies would already have a "coming soon" site set up with screenshots, videos etc.

I find that a bit odd also (mainly for expansion pack 4)

I can see the lack of information for G4. As it wasn't officially announced until this past weekend at the hobby show. I would assume now that we would start seeing more information, specs, screenshots, etc. on the Real Flight page??

I agree. I feel like a kid during xmas. I keep hitting F5 hoping new info will be up. Im ready to buy but want to hold out for the new one. Only makes sense.

List YOUR Wants Interests and Needs

By the way, try not to confuse need with want...none of us need this thing except those who don't have an RC sim at all and are new to RC or don't want to demolish a nice new bird. My first degree was in advertising...trust me, this is all want for most of us.

That's right.
Needs are different from one person to the next. (Not sure who would actually want to demolish a new bird! ;) but ? )....

they have addressed the Main points of interest.

Back in the days when you were not posting. we had threads running on various topics, and KE paid attention. the Pics and notes to what we already know about G4 are aimed directly at some of those interests/wants/needs.

Listen. If you want them to maybe come close to what you want or need or are interested in. Then Let me say it again.
List your wants Interests and needs. (Get it up here on the threads, KE can not read minds)

NE Way.

The iHobby show is over now.
They May have some more info on the ready.

Patience.
Patience.
Patience.

PS. I do find it odd about EP4, not listed on the KE home page. :confused:

PS.
Don't watch those Shows. They will rot your brain!

Oh. Duh. Of cause I want other things. I only gave you a working example.

Last and By no means least.
I was not Defending KE. I was trying to Educate you.

Bryce.

Last edited:
I'm a loyal knife edge person, but I don't see much difference between G4 and G3. :confused:

ya ya prettier water, but anything else you guys find worthwhile?

Ven2s,
Are you still waiting for your own personal sales pitch? I don't think the developers/distributors have time to give us each a proper pitch. That means finding each persons hot buttons, and making the sale. Kind of reminds me of the kid who doesn't get his way, and says, "Well, I'm gonna take my ball and go home!"

0xdeadbeef said:
it also surprises me that there is no bigger announcement. Neither on the KE site nor on the Realflight homepage there is any mention of G4. Indeed, there's not even any info on EP4 as far as I can see and it was releases more than a month ago.
If this is KE's advertising strategy then, yeah well.
Other companies would already have a "coming soon" site set up with screenshots, videos etc.

Knife Edge Software solely produces the software and manages the knifeedge.com website. Hobbico is the company in charge of the marketing of RealFlight, including the realflight.com website.

Adam Taylor said:
Knife Edge Software solely produces the software and manages the knifeedge.com website. Hobbico is the company in charge of the marketing of RealFlight, including the realflight.com website.

And yet nothing on either the Hobbico site, Great Planes or even Realflight about G4 ... :confused:

No announcement, not even a mention of it... seems a bit strange for a new product that THEY sell, not to be mentioned on any of the other sites.

Wow, let me reiterate once more, I like Knife Edge's stuff, to me this is all funny; I mean really laughable. A number of you have already bought this new item, that's your choice. But I am not an easy sell, especially with the competition out there.
You guys who own, at least G3, should expect a hefty rebate, and I don't mean $50.00. I agree with the guy who said the differences just aren't that great; better water, jeez, that could be done on a software upgrade; dynamic soaring, same. You guys who are settling for this, need to take a hard look at the gaming industry. Expectations there are much higher, and if they are not met, the manufacturer pays a hefty price and the game falls under it's own weight.

Remember, Knife Edge has competiton, and the competition will be looking at KEs weaknesses to bring out a better, higher quality for the dollar product. When they see that KE is looking for $200.00(or 150 if rebate is like priors) more from there loyal customers of G2 and G3 and read these forums and see some of this dissent, they are going to wipe up the ground with KE and KE is going to lose a good number of current and potiential clients; mark my words on that. I am just stating a simple fact of our capitalistic system. Remember the iPhone hooplah! In other words, be real careful when fooling with your client base.

They have to advertise and should have done so even before the Hobby show..even a teaser. Their lack of this and not even paying attention and answering my simple question at the beginning of this thread, shows a complacency I believe they will come to regret.

That's why I started this thread, I did not expect an answer from them, at least not an immediate one.

Now for the real serious stuff. To those of you living in California, especially LA and San Diego counties, my thoughts and prayers go out to you all...stay safe, your lives are more important than your things.

Last edited:
You guys who own, at least G3, should expect a hefty rebate, and I don't mean $50.00.

Why just because you purchased a past version of something from a company are they entitled to give you money off their latest product?? (I just want to know the reason behind every one's thinking)

I ordered G4.......

1. Because I am happy with G3.5 and I can safely bet it's not going to be a step backwards

2. As a model designer I'd like to "mess" around with any of the new features, (Will be able to create and use amphibious or float planes, springy landing gear is an interesting item also)

3. The numerous other features and upgrades I've read about.

I don't know how the rebate will work? Like I stated above, I've already ordered G4.....will I get something to send back that I have G3.5 and then get a rebate?? If it's more involved from that I'll probably just forget about the rebate and not worry about it.

Again I just don't understand why so many people think KE, Realflight or whoever is obligated to give them a rebate?

Do you expect a rebate on EVERYTHING you buy that later will be "new and improved" I buy new vehicles every couple years.......I don't ask Ford to give me money because I already own a vehicle that they made??? And I especially don't ask them to "retrofit" the new body and equipment onto the older model I have???

So that's my point......no I'm not sticking up for KE, RF or anyone..........I just see it from a different point I guess.

Back