G4 on windows 8?

racerx26

I have had my g4 software for awhile and it worked fine on my xp, but i got a new laptop with windows 8 and tried installing and it and it gives me 3 errors. first one says unable to remove read-only attribute from copied file. the second says KEError 15012: failed copying. the third KEError 15015: error copying main installer to disc, installation aborted.

Is there any way i can get this working?

I'll hunt down my old G4 CD's and try to install. I'll report back in a few minutes :D

Edit: All 4 CD's installed properly and I should note that i did nothing more than insert the first CD and let it autorun, at which time i selected the setup button however the DirectX 9C that comes with the Realflight G4 did not install as it is not compatible with the Operating system. This shouldn't be a problem for me as I have 6.5 and 7.5 currently installed and they work with the same required DirectX files but may be an issue for other people. It is currently updating to 4.5 :)

Edit #2: I am flying the Extra 300 on a fresh install of RealFlight G4 in Windows 8.1. No issues after the update to 4.5.050.

System: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r7.150109-2022)
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DX Version: DirectX 11
Installed in: D:\Realflight G4
Free Disk Space (D:\): 378384 mb free
Launcher Version: 1.00.041
LauncherHelper Version: 1.00.326
RealFlight G4: 4.50.050

It is possible your CD's could be damaged if that is the case you can Contact Technical support and see if they can replace them or for $50.00 and your existing Interlink Elite, you can upgrade to 7.5 :D

Last edited:
Yup

The installer is trying to make changes to areas that are "protected" under Windows 8.x.

You need to run the installer by right clicking on it and selecting "run as administrator", to give it elevated privilages.

You MUST also

- Install DirectX9.0c redistributable as Administrator first
- Run Realflight's launcher the first two times using the same "run as administrator" option.

You may also have to make the target folders Read/Writeable by Realflight.

G4 was written for XP and knows nothing about elevated privilages and security rights.

But it DOES RUN on Windows 8.1.

I didn't do any of that. I just put the CD in and let it start. I do use an administrator account so I didn't have to give the installer admin rights. This isn't a RealFlight issue it's the way Windows works now days. The installer wouldn't even start if it didn't have admin rights. I also never had the need to run as an administrator when running any version of RealFlight. :)

Normally Windows will automatically elevate MSI installer privileges when it can detect an installation attempt.

You know this is taking place because you get the blacked/grey out screen with the elevation prompt.

However in some situations the installer doesn't know about target folder differences, particularly in the Win7/8/10 relocated user and hidden directories. So it attempts to put things into directories that are linked to other locations and may fail.

Rights issues exacerbate that change and programs will sometimes fail to install or run correctly.

I don't advocate using admin level accounts even on private systems.

Requiring elevation for installations is a great way to help weed out malware and preventing system damage.

Often when setting up a machine for someone else I'll add an Administrator level account or enable the hidden Administrator account, then instruct the user only to use that account for software installations only, never for any other use.

Malware can then insinuate only itself only into the user's own account, so deleting and recreating the account will fix many issues.... particularly if the user's files are saved off first.

I've installed older software into say a "D:" or "E:" drive under a "Program Files" folder, etc... usually the rights are set INCORRECTLY when one does this as Windows may not see this as one of it's own hierarchy.... subsequent installations, or Windows updates will then fix the rights issues and prevent user level account access to those folders.

Since older versions of Realflight used to keep their data files in the Program Files folders, this creates all sorts of problems.

Likewise even if you permit the default installation paths, the same can happen as Windows 7/8/10 no longer expects software to write configuration data, etc. back to the Program Folders..

Of course this is all a throwback to the mainframe days...

Last edited:
Back