G5.0 Video Game or Sim?

I'm a little mad, looks like Realflight went from RC trainer sim to a video game.
I was watching the video on youtube.
I have decided G5 is now a video game.
What next PS3, Xbox Wii
This is one person that will not be purchasing the video game.

not Happy

Handfistrc.com

Some people....Good Lord....It is still a SIMULATOR. Why in the world did it become a game because a new feature was added? Did somehow all the realistic physics somehow magically disappear and are replaced by arcade physics? NO!!!!! IT IS STILL THE BEST SIMULATOR ON THE MARKET!!!

Get a life troll.

It is a sim, if you use it as a sim.

It is a game, if you decide to use it as a game... no one makes you fire the missiles. Does everything educational need to be boring??? It can be fun and as a by product, you just might learn how to fly by using it. By interesting more people into using it, the cost might just come down for everyone.

Not Exactly

Combat = maybe a bit gamish, point is to attract new buyers and possible long term fliers for higher profits. And, it works as a good vent for anger or time for relaxation after flying solo.

Actual Simulation = Still the same Sim. just some beefed up multiplayer and some enhanced features.

There, baby got his bottle? :D

handfistrc said:
I have decided G5 is now a video game. Handfistrc.com.
Such an informed post! :D

There are only three choices to your dilemma:

1. Go pound sand.
2. Get over it.
3. Or both.

Charles (I actually have G5 and it is a SIM with added combat features...any questions?)

Last edited:
yeah r1derbike, I totally agree. If he cant get over go pound some sand. Infact, while ur at it, make a sandwhich out of it :D :D :D :D :D

Consider it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If you're looking for a sim, you'll see a sim; but if it's a game you're seeking, it's a game you'll find. There are those that have always considered it one or the other and nothing said will ever effect their opinion.

In either case, if you don't like it because of the other - so be it (re-read point 2, it works in reverse too).

Last edited:
FYI: This is one of the guys who's over at RCU blasting G5 with the same type of posts.

Hmmm...an F-22 stealth sortie might be in order? :D

MUHAAHA! :D

Op: One of the Usual Suspects? (good movie, BTW)

Charles

I really couldn't care too much about it (even though I have my opinion) I think G4.5 is great and amazing.....Don't have G5 so can't comment on that.

I totally understand the "game" aspects in order to obtain a larger buying audience.....I just hope over time the game aspect doesn't get more and more improvements and additions....while the sim less and less attention? Not saying it will, won't or whatever. That's just my thought process.

Either way I don't expect the world to end tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yeah, what happened to all the big ole grass fields for flying! :D Oh wait, that where the new McDonalds is! :D

handfistrc said:
I'm a little mad, looks like Realflight went from RC trainer sim to a video game.
What next PS3, Xbox Wii

not Happy

Handfistrc.com
Good, now go back in your cave and gnaw on a bone.

I spent about 1/2 hour last night blowing things up... then it was back to the RC aspect of RealFlight. What is a game? Why is that a bad word? Flying and gaming are both supposed to be fun and relax you. I don't fly jets, take all the jets out of real flight or I won't buy it.... to me, that is exactly the same argument you are making.

I don't use every feature of all products that I buy, but I recognize that they are important to other people. So if real flight can expand the number of people buying the product.... that means that my cost could/should go down.

After using G5 for a couple of hours, I think that they have blended the new features in quite nicely (and I will tell you whats wrong too). To me, it looks like KE, GP and TH have a corner on this market and will put a lot of pressure on the competition to keep up.

handfistrc said:
What next PS3, Xbox Wii

not Happy

Handfistrc.com

I actually agree with this quote to a degree, for starters I bought G4 simply because it got a highly rated review for a R/C Flight Sim, I bought this purely to teach myself how to fly r/c heli's, with the added bonus of planes as well.

The thing that is bugging me with G5, is that the makers have gone to the gamers side of things...RealFlight Quote, "The most realistic recreation of r/c flight ever!(tm)" how many people do you know that are small enough to sit in their R/C aircraft and fly inside it???

Exactly!

I am more angry because they could have spent their time developing more realistic effects/gfx/physics etc. but instead decided to go more into a flight/combat simulator game style...they could have spent the time on the following options...

64bit gaming - would allow for advanced maths/physical calculation and better performance all round compared to 32bit.
DirectX 10 and 11 Support - I would have thought G5 would at least have DX10 capabilities by now to allow those with proper videocards to experience a richer environmental feel

I feel this would have been possible if they didn't concentrate on the silly "gamer" side that in the real world isn't possible unless we are call Alice and have a handy bottle of "Drink Me" at hand, then fair enough.

I just can't see the point in upgrading to G5 if you are a true R/C enthusiast as you aren't going to benefit from it compared to G4.?.

The combat side of G5 is a nice diversion, even if it's not a model of reality. The sim side of G5 is still a valid sim, with some improvements over G4.5. People have been asking for combat for a few years now. They are very happy. You may not care for combat, but it is a desired feature by many others. If I were in charge at KE, I would have made the same decision.

Some people will never upgrade... G4.x series is good enough, and really it is a fine product for RC flying. The thing I noticed is better connection (for me) to the MP area. 31 fliers at a field, that is an improvement. My reflection graphics on a beach ball in one of my fields showed me that the graphics for my situation is better NVIDIA 8600GT ...

I am upgrading computers soon, so I hope for even better performance. There are a heck of a lot of old time RC fliers who do not use the sim... they "know how to fly". They are not interested in any 3D... or aerobatic flying. KE has to chase a huge game market or wither... maybe this release does not offer enough for you to consider changing... but it certainly has not hurt the things you do like. Maybe the next release will have more for you. I for one wanted the streamer combat. Now I can practice and maybe fly a couple of combat matches out there in the real world.

I don't say the combat functions are the icing on the cake... don't know how often that I will use it, but it is nice to know that they are there. If it brings some more guys to the field, is that bad??? My best to you...

It all depends what you want to realy do:
Do you wanna stick with G5 because other than combat its just like g4 with some minor chanes, or are you going to cry about them adding a new feature and expanding their market.

And for those who wanted pylon racing, make a pylon racing airport. For those who wanted spot landings, scale down different runways and place them like in g3.5, think of new ways to overcome obstacles, if you get stuck in a rut, find a way out :D

Welcome WBCS-Neo! Nice first post! Please come-back to be informed about what a Great SIM G5 is, with its much asked-for additional features!

Charles

Back