G5.0 Video Game or Sim?

I actually expected the combat portion to be more from the rc pilot's perspective with G5 and not from a cockpit perspective. Although I guess if we were all rich, we would have our real models decked with cameras like Predators UAV's.

I like doing streamer combat at a photofield. That forces people to view their planes from the pilot spawn. It's tough, but not impossible.

Oh yeah, I forgot to added.... Porting Realflight to be a NATIVE 64bit app would be a very big improvement in performance and IMO should come before any more developement of the "GAME" features.

Joel

At the moment... I think that would be suicide for KE... I think you are going to have to give it a couple of more years... However, I do agree.

jdhughen said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to added.... Porting Realflight to be a NATIVE 64bit app would be a very big improvement in performance and IMO should come before any more developement of the "GAME" features.

Joel

jdhughen said:

Joel

Well unless they have both 32bit and 64bit, they are going to alienate allot of folks with older machines (read operating systems). I still prefer WinXP for all my pc needs and see little reason to jump on the Windows 7 bandwagon or Visa for that matter.

Which of course will lead to all sorts of bitching and moaning....

Yeah I want 64bit too, but I'll forgo it merely to avoid hearing the rants about lack of backward compatibility from some people. Ugh! :mad:

12oclockhigh said:
Do we really want to do the 16bit - 32bit upgrade again??? No we don't. Will we? Yes we will, Bill Gates needs a new jet. :D :D

Windows 7 was supposed to mark the end of 32bit, though obviously that didn't work out.

I believe that Bill and the upper eschelons did get their new jet though.

I have windows 7 from an uuncle at university of chicago but still stick with good ole xp. 7's great, but winxp is just so much easier to use and i love the way it is. almost all of my uncle's computer's have winxp :D

As someone who just bought RF I was attracted to it because it has a great Sim and Gameplay aspect to it. Any time with my hands on the controls is always helpful especially in a cold climate.... Is it spring yet :)

yeah some of us were smart and bought g5 instead of 109 or wtvr on phoenix, looks snazzy but my moneys with ke. hey handfist, i dont sit in front of my screen and wait for members to post, i actually use my g5 and fly it instead of cussing and bad mouthing a company

Game or Not

Some of you make me laugh, this is for all of you that like to bash members for giving an opinion. If Handfistrc thinks its a game more then a sim, let him have his opinion. But some of you with your smart remarks is crazy. What will you do if a new flyer needs help or ask a question, will you help?
Have any of you ever trained a new flyer in this hobby?

Now i know who i would recommend and not to recommend someone too.

I have taught my two sons and my daughter how to fly real rc, realflight, and i wasnt bashing handfist by his remark, just by his snotty attitude like ho ho ho look at me im so big i got phoenix. and no cussing please. wt r we 7?

Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion, But the Admin's surely don't look kindly at potty mouthed opinions.
The surprising thing is the number of agressors that portray themselves as victims under alternate identities. That is not new around here by the way. :rolleyes:

Realflight, Phoenix, FS *** all have what you call "gaming" features.
None of which detract from R/C flight training.

flybyrc said:
Some of you make me laugh, this is for all of you that like to bash members for giving an opinion. If Handfistrc thinks its a game more then a sim, let him have his opinion. But some of you with your smart remarks is crazy. What will you do if a new flyer needs help or ask a question, will you help?

Now i know who i would recommend and not to recommend someone too.

FORUM MODERATOR .....

I stopped by to catchup on this thread and while reading page 2 I noticed that some member must have flamed someone or cussed or something because there are references to a post that is not there.

I have no problem with this type of content being removed BUT I do thing that some kind of NOTICE should be put in its place and the following post numbers not be altered. A simple "CONTENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR" in place of the original message would work. It's just creepy when things just disapear with no trace.

Thanks

Joel

flybyrc said:
What will you do if a new flyer needs help or ask a question, will you help?

Some of us spend quite a bit of time doing just that... also organizing "Training camps" for kids, teaching new fliers on Saturdays, going around to schools, working with the governent reps, etc.

There is a difference in how people treat someone who shows up asking for help at our field/club, versus someone who signs up and EXPECTS everyone to bow down to their timeframes and needs.

Helping others does not mean that we must tolerate such people.

Last edited:
Just to throw a different perspective on the original question (video game or sim?), there are some advantages to making it more game-like.

Many people, myself included, lament that there are relatively few newcomers into the hobby and that the proportion of newcomers represented by youth are almost nonexistant.

Take my son for example - 9 yr old kid, bright - but a different generation and not particularly disposed to spend countless hours learning something hard (fly an r/c plane). BUT, with G5 in particular he's so thrilled with the gaming aspect that he's modifying aircraft and spending and is spending a heckuva lot of time actually flying the thing. With the skills he's picking up, it will be EASY for him to fly the real thing, and when he goes to the field he will be successful instead of frustrated, and may end up actually enjoying the hobby.

It's good for all of us if we can introduce kids to the hobby (if our numbers dwindle so will the companies that make this their business and availability of planes and equipment with it). I for one think it's pretty neat that this twist on realflight might help out here. It would be even better if there was a version priced competitively with video games which offered the online gaming aspects but perhaps lacked some of the other features that are more important to the adult r/c market.

Back