Galloping Ghost EP

I assume that ghost area on the prop happened because you selected some amount of pollys from the tip inward on the blade for setting the Gloss but when you painted the prop in the TGA file you didn't paint the same amount of polys. Like you selected 6 polys in 3ds max but only painted 5 polys in the TGA. That seems to be what happened.
Looking closely at the picture in post #296 you can see the "wavy" edge to the silver/black line, which indicates I used too large a brush, and consequentially the large brush leaves an overlap/overspray effect, which shows as a 1-pixel semitransparent line, so I opened the tga and used a 2-pixel brush down the exact same line and now that strange stripe/band disappears and I see a perfect straight edge to the silver/black separator.

Looking closely at the picture in post #296 you can see the "wavy" edge to the silver/black line, which indicates I used too large a brush, and consequentially the large brush leaves an overlap/overspray effect, which shows as a 1-pixel semitransparent line, so I opened the tga and used a 2-pixel brush down the exact same line and now that strange stripe/band disappears and I see a perfect straight edge to the silver/black separator.
Yeah, I opened up your TGA file and saw the wavy line. I figured that's what caused the 1-pixel wide area on the inside edge of the stripe. The next time I work on my prop I'll add the baked-on gloss and spec. I'm also going to make my stripe a little further down the prop like the real one. I also need to move the battery back a little to reset the same CG as the 2-blade prop had. When I tested the 4-blade prop the CG changed because of the extra weight of two more blades so I'll move the battery back a little to reset the CG the same as the 2-blade prop. After I get it going I'll upload an AV with the new prop in it. Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited:
For performance reasons? or looks? :unsure:
Oddly enough, for looks. I think it looks sleeker. To me, the 4-Blade prop looks bulky. And of course, all my other PX series planes use that prop. No matter what I'll release the 4-Blade prop but it might be in an AV. Maybe call it Galloping Ghost EP (4-Blade).

I think that's a great idea. The 2 blade is sleek and goes with your other PX planes and a 4 blade AV would be nice also. I kinda like the looks of the 4 blades. And you put a lot of work into it. Having both available would be a plus. 😊

I did some tweaking to the flight physics and finished the prop so here's an AV for you to play with. Please let me know "how it flies" and "how the prop looks". @rcdoski In a post after I uploaded the beta you said "It hovers pretty good" which I took to mean it could be "better" so I worked on that so see if it hovers better to you now and let me know. (I thought it needed to hover better too)

To me the weak hover was because I reduced the aileron travel because of the higher roll rate caused by the clipped wings. But lowering the aileron travel affected the hover a fair amount. So let me know how you think it flies overall and how it hovers. I did two things to improve the hover. I increased the aileron travel from 18 to 20 and the prop wash from 150 to 180. The roll rate is a bit higher than I like but that seems to go along with the clipped wings.

EDIT: I removed the beta AV because it looks like I'll be modifying the prop.

Last edited:
Thanks Tech. I grabbed it and it flies really good. It's fun to rip around with. There really was nothing wrong with the way it hovered before. Everything about it is. (y) If I would change anything. It would be to turn down the back torque factor on that BEAUTIFUL 4 blade prop just a little. You only notice it if your hard on the throttle at takeoff. Once you're in the air you don't notice it. It is a big 4 blade. But that would just be my personal preference. You have been doing this kind of stuff longer than I have, You're the pro I'm just the rookie. I LOVE that prop!!! It looks fantastic on it. 😁 And I realize because it's a big 4 blade she is going to have a lot of torque. I DEFINATELY Want it in my hanger! It's beautiful, Great job and, Another fantastic plane. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Tech. I grabbed it and it flies really good. It's fun to rip around with. There really was nothing wrong with the way it hovered before. Everything about it is. (y) If I would change anything. It would be to turn down the back torque factor on that BEAUTIFUL 4 blade prop just a little. You only notice it if your hard on the throttle at takeoff. Once you're in the air you don't notice it. It is a big 4 blade. But that would just be my personal preference. You have been doing this kind of stuff longer than I have, You're the pro I'm just the rookie. I LOVE that prop!!! It looks fantastic on it. 😁 And I realize because it's a big 4 blade she is going to have a lot of torque. I DEFINATELY Want it in my hanger! It's beautiful, Great job and, Another fantastic plane. Keep up the great work.
Thanks for the input. Hum, I figured you meant it needed a little better hovering from your comment. And like I said I thought the hovering was a little weak too and intended to work on it before release. I still plan to tweak that a little and maybe reduce the prop wash. So by back-torque, you're talking about how it rolls the plane if you hit the throttle hard at take-off? (which I do) So where did you set it? (I'll try your setting out)

That prop is growing on me so I might put it on the plane at release. (dunno for sure yet)

I did some tests. And thinking, the adding 2 more blades being a 4 blade instead of a 2 blade as normal, so I reduced the back torque factor to 50 or 1/2. It seems manageable somewhere between 40 to 50% I don't think you can completely get rid of it without it starting to effect other things witch you don't want. I think it's going to be there a little because it has clipped wings and a LARG prop. I would believe even the real one had similar effects. But between 40 and 50 looked good. 😊

By the way. 3D MOFO had asked about getting together on multiplayer online flying tonight 10/22/22 at 6 pm central time. I said yes and whoever else is interested can join. I think it would be a blast.;)

I did some tests. And thinking, the adding 2 more blades being a 4 blade instead of a 2 blade as normal, so I reduced the back torque factor to 50 or 1/2. It seems manageable somewhere between 40 to 50% I don't think you can completely get rid of it without it starting to effect other things witch you don't want. I think it's going to be there a little because it has clipped wings and a LARG prop. I would believe even the real one had similar effects. But between 40 and 50 looked good. 😊
Okay thanks I'll give 40 to 50 a try and see how it goes for me. Did you notice any changes to how the plane flew? Other than much less roll at take-off.

By the way. 3D MOFO had asked about getting together on multiplayer online flying tonight 10/22/22 at 6 pm central time. I said yes and whoever else is interested can join. I think it would be a blast.;)
I'm not much of an online flyer so I'll let you guys have the fun. (Have never been online)

I thought I'd let everyone know I deleted the Beta AV I uploaded with the new prop. I've been working with @asj5547 to add a custom propdisk to improve how it looks when the blade is spinning. So when I release the plane or upload another Beta AV "please" remember to select the "overwrite everything" checkbox when you import the plane to make sure you get all the changes. I want to thank ASJ for all the help he's given me to finish the new prop.

Last edited:
Back