getting a new computer

diamondave5

i am going to be getting a new computer fairly soon...i have a lot of custom aircraft and custom schemes, i have also modified planes such as throws, expo, etc...i have always downloaded the planes from here and had them in my documents, after i imported them i would delete them, is there a fodler somewhere that has these stored so i can copy to an external hard drive and then re import them when i get my system? i looked at the manage user files, would i need to export each one individually that way and then re import? also below the custom tab there is one that says imported, is that different from custom? ....same thing with flying fields, how would i copy those to put on a new system? i am using 5.5, thanks for any information and hopefully there is a way to do this without having to redownload them all and set them up again....

There should be a folder in your documents or My Documents folder for Realflight G5. Your custom content resides in this folder. You would want to copy those contents to the new computer to the same location.

okay i found that folder after i ran realflight...there is several folders in there, like vehicles, custom, scenary, etc...should i copy the entire folder and save that or just the custom stuff?

am i going to have to reload all the add on disks that i have as well? or with that folder contain that kind of stuff? im not even sure if i have all the add on disks anymore to be honest, been so long since i did anything with them.,...

When you say Add On's, are you referring to The Free Add On Files, or Expansion/Mega Packs?
If, what you really mean, Is the "Free Add On Files", I believe you will have to re-download them. But its actually Quite Easy, just follow this: https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=263426&postcount=4
I believe, The purchased Add On "Disks", were only designed for G2 and G3.
The Free Add Ons, were upgraded, for later RealFlight Versions, and are now FREE.

Last edited:
i was thinking of the add on disks from way back when, its been so long i dont remember what happened when i upgraded from 3, i have the 5.5 now and see them under the plane menu, couldnt remember how i got them there as far as the link or loading all the disks, i think some were called add ons and some were called expansion packs, ill have to do some digging in boxes to see if i still have them, thanks

The add-ons on disc will not work with anything above G3.5 which is why they are on the Realflight website as a free download. If you had expansion packs, they all still work with RF7. If you still have the old computer, you probably could copy over the files from the old Pc to the new pc, get a system dump from the RealFlight launcher with the serial numbers and install it that way.

If you look in the following path on your PC C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlightG5\Data You will find all the .dck files for realflight. You want to copy over any of the once I have highlighted in the attachment. They are ALL the Expansion Packs (EP Files) and Add on Files (AO files). Depending on what you own, you may not have all of the ones listed but the ones that you do have you need to copy to the new computer to the same location that you found them.

To get any serial numbers that you may have, You will need to open the Realflight Launcher, select Additonal options, and select Technical support. Your Serial numbers for anything you installed for Realflight will be in the box in the upper right corner. Select all, Copy and paste them to a file and print them out. keep them in a safe place since they are your serial numbers for Realflight. I Pulled mine out of G6 but the Screens are the same.

Attachments

• EP file names.JPG
    EP file names.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Tech support.JPG
    Tech support.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 8
i just did some digging around and here is what i found; 2 disc package for real flight 3, disc for g5 upgrade, and i did the free online up to 5.5, all 5 discs for add ons 1-5, a disc for expansion pack 1 and a disc for expansion pack 2, so sounds like starting over on a new pc i wont need the 5 add on discs? i can download those for free here once up and running, since i have the disc cases i do have serial numbers , so do i have to start from the begining by loading 3, then 5, then online update, then my 2 expansion packs and the free add ons? and eventually after all that once i run it and it puts a folder in my docs, open that and paste all the stuff i copy from same folder on old pc? should i literally open that folder and select all? or just a few things from there , maybe i can take a screenshot of that when i get on my desktop to show you whats all in there, i just dont want to send something to new set up that may mess things up

oh yeh so does that mean those add on discs are trash now? guess no one can use them unless they have an older version? probably not worth trying to sell them? not to make money but just a mental thing so I'm not physically throwing them in the trash myself :)

Just install version 5. You don't need to have version 3 installed first. It will use the serial numbers you already have. If any are missing, refer to my previous post on how to retrieve them in the launcher.

Those old add-ons discs may have some value to someone with a old version of RealFlight (G3). But yeah, no good for G5. You don't even need the Serial numbers for them with the free Add on versions. Once you have RealFlight installed and updated with your expansion packs etc. You should copy the contents of what you have in the Documents folder to the same location for your custom files.

Last edited:
okay that sounds good, it will save some time :)....i was all set to make a purchase but after reading some stuff on here about graphics card i may modify my decision, it was an amd dual core 3.9ghz and 8g ram, but it says onboard graphics radeon hd 7480d, seen good reviews and some soso ones, what im debating now is that it does not have on board memory on the card, other than that it looks like a nice system and it has a good price, there is a link to specs on the graphics...im still looking around but this one is at the top of my list currently, even if some say it doesnt play games as good as dedicated systems, i think it will be a huge improvement for me on a old anthlon 1.8ghz with 2g ram, i cant even use smoke on real flight while hovering cause once a cloud forms it starts freezing and being jerkey :(....anyway im going decide pretty soon.....

http://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-AMD/Radeon_HD_7480D_IGP.html

im confused about that post refering to a system dump, does that mean you can do it that way and then install that on the new pc without having to reload any discs? like was that the actual program files and everything? sorry if a stupid question i just dont know

im confused about that post refering to a system dump, does that mean you can do it that way and then install that on the new pc without having to reload any discs? like was that the actual program files and everything? sorry if a stupid question i just dont know

The RealFlight launcher has additional options besides starting realflight. You can select technical support and one of the options there is to gather a system information file of your computer hardware and your Realflight installation files including all your downloaded aircraft etc.. Everything pertaining to realflight will be there including if you choose the option all your Realflight serial numbers. Don't ever share them with this forum but if you ever had to contact tech support they might need them. You can try it if you like and can see what it does.

okay that sounds good, it will save some time :)....i was all set to make a purchase but after reading some stuff on here about graphics card i may modify my decision, it was an amd dual core 3.9ghz and 8g ram, but it says onboard graphics radeon hd 7480d, seen good reviews and some soso ones, what im debating now is that it does not have on board memory on the card, other than that it looks like a nice system and it has a good price, there is a link to specs on the graphics...im still looking around but this one is at the top of my list currently, even if some say it doesnt play games as good as dedicated systems, i think it will be a huge improvement for me on a old anthlon 1.8ghz with 2g ram, i cant even use smoke on real flight while hovering cause once a cloud forms it starts freezing and being jerkey :(....anyway im going decide pretty soon.....

http://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-AMD/Radeon_HD_7480D_IGP.html

You may still see some issues with a integrated graphics chipset. This has been a topic of many of discussions here on these forums. Your choice of graphics adapter may be an improvement but won't be as good as a moderately priced, dedicated card.

i just did some digging around and here is what i found; 2 disc package for real flight 3, disc for g5 upgrade, and i did the free online up to 5.5, all 5 discs for add ons 1-5, a disc for expansion pack 1 and a disc for expansion pack 2, so sounds like starting over on a new pc i wont need the 5 add on discs? i can download those for free here once up and running, since i have the disc cases i do have serial numbers , so do i have to start from the begining by loading 3, then 5, then online update, then my 2 expansion packs and the free add ons? and eventually after all that once i run it and it puts a folder in my docs, open that and paste all the stuff i copy from same folder on old pc? should i literally open that folder and select all? or just a few things from there , maybe i can take a screenshot of that when i get on my desktop to show you whats all in there, i just dont want to send something to new set up that may mess things up

Just out of curiosity, which controller are you using? You said you had G3, then upgraded to g5>5.5? When you Upgraded, to G5, did you get the InterLink "Elite" Controller, That comes with G4, and above, or are you still using, the G3 Controller?

my controller says interlink plus...i believe its the one from g3, the "upgrade" was not a stand alone set up, i think it was just one disk...thats why i had asked about starting over if i need to load g3 first to get the actual program and stuff loaded, then add the upgrade, since i assume my upgrade doesn't contain all the operating files like g3 had...my controller works great, shouldn't need a new one unless i upgrade even more right?
looking at some other computers now, saw a quad core reasonably priced and even a 6 core for not much more, i will research both a little more, most likely will get one of those ...

You may still see some issues with a integrated graphics chipset. This has been a topic of many of discussions here on these forums. Your choice of graphics adapter may be an improvement but won't be as good as a moderately priced, dedicated card.

i read some of that on here, thats why i am concerned about the system i was planning to get, I'm going to inquire about adding a better card, i actually have an old Microsoft flight simulater too for full size airplanes with actual airports, i ended up unistalling it and gave up cause even lowering all the settings it still sucked on my current computer :-(....so i want to able to fly that as well on a new system

Back