Graphics card upgrade recommendations

pherries

I bought Real Flight Basic at the AMA Show today in hopes of giving my two small kids something to practice on at home. I knew my graphics card on my Dell Precision 4600 would not be up to the job, but I'm hoping someone can recommend a budget-friendly upgrade card. I have two slots available inside for cards.

Dell's support site read my service tag and recommended two possibilities:

1) Refurbished: 64 MB NV18 DVI Graphics Card with TV-Out $66
2) Refurbished: 128 MB GeForceFX 5200 Graphics Card with TV-Out $86

Any help would be most appreciated!

I read the instructions for newbies, but upon starting RFB I get the dreaded "Your video card does not fully support shaders" message and it exits.

Here's my machine specs:

Dimension 4600i
Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Model Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Video Adapters
Model Memory
Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller 96 Mb

Memory
Total 2048 Mb
Available 65 %

Slot Size Speed Type
Slot 1 1024 Mb 333 Mhz SDRAM
Slot 2 1024 Mb 333 Mhz SDRAM
Slot 3 Empty
Slot 4 Empty

Available Slots 2

Check out Nvidia's 8800 series, good card and the price has gone down quite a bit.

Alot of people use them with success.

I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

Thanks!

Thanks, I will check that line of cards out to see which can work with this Dell 4600i. Appreciate the input.

Just for your information it work perfectly with an old nVidia 8600 GS with a high resolution of 1900 x 1440.

Hope it'll help you in your choice. :)

Radeon 9800 Pro 256

Also found a Dell dude who recommended to look at a Radeon 9800 Pro 256, listing on eBay for $50-55. So I've got at least three targets to look for, again thanks for all the input.

I just looked up your Dell 4600i and it looks fairly old. When you go to upgrade your video card make sure you check if it's AGP, PCI or PCIE.

I also read that some models could be mini-towers which means you may have some size restraints.

I would also check system requirements on ram also just to be sure. Everything I found on your system had to do with up-grading.

If my info on your system is incorrect, sorry it was a fast search.

Better safe than sorry.

Cheers..............

my old Dell

TN,

You nailed it, this thing is solid but definitely old. I've confirmed that AGP is my only option by opening up the case and comparing to online photos and a few articles here and there. Mini-tower. Only 2GB RAM so I'm eyeing that closely.

One of the more interesting articles was by a 14 year old in Australia. http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=13&g=posts&t=537 Sharing it here in case other 4600i users come along.

P

One other thing!

I don't know if this is possible with basic but if you can get into the launcher and go to additional options you could do a system dump.

Follow the instructions in this link: https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=9663

Don't mind it saying G3, if it works post the results in this thread.

This will give all of the info needed for reference purposes.

If that does not work you can PM me your specs.

Cheers.......

Last edited:
I don't find a way to do a system dump from RFB. You start the program, and it takes you to a field with an aircraft selected and ready to fly. I cannot find a menu bar, or right-click option, anywhere in the program. I've emailed the company about it, and other questions.

If there's a launcher (but I don't think there is), it'd be accessible from the start menu of windows. Start|All Programs|RealFlight Basic.

fyi....
It's no secret around here that thet best way to get help or to have questions answered by support is by calling not e-mailing :D

But I think the company shill is correct :p
lol....just pullin' yer chain jeff

Back