Graphics quality issue

giovanniluigi

I recently installed RF Evolution on my gaming PC (Windows 11 and dedicated GPU Nvidia RTX 3080) and I am a bit disappointed with the graphics quality. Since I still have RF 7.5 installed, I am able to compare the graphics between the two versions and it looks better with RF 7.5 (although the aircraft general performance appears very similar, if not the same).
What I notice in particular is the images are not as crisp, and the straight, thin lines appear somewhat stair-stepped and/or interrupted and/or flickering. Not so in RF 7.5.
I checked the advanced Nvidia parameters, and they are the same for both RF versions. I played with anti-aliasing and it makes no difference.
I intentionally limited frame rates in both versions to 200 fps, to avoid the fan noise from the GPU, which does not really need to run at 900+ fps for Evolution, but even when I let the GPU rip at full fps, it still makes no difference.
The monitor resolution is set for 3840 x 2160 (60Hz). RF Graphics Quality Setting is set to Highest for both versions.
I attached an iPhone photo. Check the wings' leading edges and all hinge lines. The airplane is on the ground, not moving but with engine running.
Have other people noticed this graphics quality issue?
If so, have they been able to overcome it?
Thanks IMG_3794.jpg

Last edited:
Which plane is that? I'd like to replicate. I see it is at the Santa Clara photfield.

With the default Yak, I don't see what you are seeing.
But, how are you getting 900 fps???? With my 4070ti @ 144 I get about 140-145......same resolution.
I may need to learn more about Nvidia settings....

It is an Extra 330SC, in a yellow Krill variant.
Probably you see only around 144 fps because you have the vertical sync option turned on in RF. Your GPU is synching to your monitor refresh rate and that is what you see. Turn it off and see what fps you get. It should be at least the same as I get, as I believe your GPU is more powerful than mine.
By the way, the vertical sync option does not seem to make a difference to my graphics quality issue.....

It is an Extra 330SC, in a yellow Krill variant.
Probably you see only around 144 fps because you have the vertical sync option turned on in RF. Your GPU is synching to your monitor refresh rate and that is what you see. Turn it off and see what fps you get. It should be at least the same as I get, as I believe your GPU is more powerful than mine.
By the way, the vertical sync option does not seem to make a difference to my graphics quality issue.....
Did you download it from the swap pages or is it a built-in plane. If it's from the swap pages a link to it and the CS (if using one) would help so we can install the plane and see what it looks like on our system.

This graphics issue is not specific to this plane. I see it with other planes as well, either built-in to Evolution (e.g. the 90mm Viper EDF) or from the swap pages. With the Extra, which is a bigger plane, I can see the problem better. Attached are the RFX files for this Extra330SC.

I am also wondering what Evolution does differently from RF 7.5, relative to screen resolution and scaling. Some text and images (such as the one that appears when you choose Simulation>Graphics from the main menu) look much bigger in Evolution than in RF 7.5, yet the NavGuides text look the same size. My monitor is fixed to 3840 x 2160.

Attachments

• Extra 330SC (InterLink) by RCFS_AV.RFX
    54.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Extra 330sc_EA.rfx
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3795.jpg
    IMG_3795.jpg
    871.6 KB · Views: 6
I was asking mostly for Flapper because I was thinking that's what he needed to help you. Is that another picture from your phone? Is it possible for you to take a screen shot and upload that, a picture from a phone shouldn't be as good as a screen shot. I'm just trying to get Flapper what he need to help you better. I see lots of stuff in the phone picture that I wouldn't expect in a screen shot.

Here are two screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-17 121146.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-17 121146.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-12-17 121652.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-17 121652.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
Okay those are good, none of the bad areas I seen in the phone shots. So are you only talking about the jagged lines on the leading edge of the wings and the aileron hinge lines? They are pretty jaggy. There seems to not be any anti-aliasing on them at all. Have you setup the NVidia Control panel area where you can pick an exe file and select what settings you want to override in the drivers for the anti-aliasing and filtering? I just looked at your first post and it seems like you've done that.

One thing you might do is post your question and pictures in the RealFlight Evolution DX 11 Beta thread, that's where the RF guys look for problems and post their thoughts and assign it to their tracking system if needed. I've often wondered if the DX11 code was working well with AA and filtering.

Found it - I had G-Synch enabled in the Nvidia control panel. Now get 750fps, and I'm sure even more if I played around a bit.

I loaded the Avant, and with G-Synch on, the only jaggies were on the closed hinge lines as I taxied around.
Tried RF 8, with the AT-6, and the same. Back to Evo with the AT-6, no change.

I noticed the navguides had different sizes (depending on font size) between the two versions - but that was clearly due to the change to DX11. Evo was the same as RF8 before the update.

Back