Guidance on CAD software for creating new models in RF Evolution

Hello everyone. I want to try my hand at creating a new RF model on my own from scratch. It's the Volantex Saber 920 3D foam model. I'm very technical and have been using computers and software for over 40 years, but just not CAD software specifically. I would consider this a learning experience as well. The YouTube video I linked to is not mine, however, this person is a very good reviewer.

I assume there are people here that know how to do this since they are posting new planes on the Swap pages. And obviously, the RF developers themselves know how to do this and must use a specific brand of CAD app. I wonder if they have a tutorial that they use or if they just have it memorized after creating so many models.

If I could get some guidance on not just application suggestions, but tutorial on using the CAD software so it imports and works well with RF that would be really great.

Thanks!

What software will you be using to model with?
That indeed, is one of my questions. I don't own any and would prefer either open source, or if none available, an affordable app (under $200) or one that has a full demo version that I can use for a period of time.

And to be clear, when I search for open source CAD, I find many available. The issue is that I don't understand the requirements for exporting a file from the CAD app into RealFlight so that it will work seamlessly. When I go to the Import menu, all it says is "3D Model (FBX, KEX)..." which isn't too helpful. There is nothing about doing this in the user's manual that I can find.

Last edited:
So after a little research, it appears FBX (Filmbox) is an industry standard 3D CAD file format for sharing files between different apps. I could not find anything about KEX, so I assume this is Knife Edge's proprietary 3D file format, but I'm just guessing. So it seems that there are indeed open source 3D CAD apps that can export FBX format. That's encouraging!

FBX is the file type that is exported out of the 3D program and the FBX file is used for the import into RF.
Kex file is made by Realflight during the import process.
Wings3D (good for modeling and UVmap, but cannot set pivot points) Wings3D is free source
Blender is a free program, and Blender can set pivot points.
3DSMax can be had for free over a certain period of time, IF you qualify for a student license, visit the Autodesk website for details.

3DS Max was the old standby, when they offered a free Student version. But they have really tightened up who can get it, so unless you are enrolled in a participating school, that is out. Or pay big $$. Blender seems to be the alternative. There may be others that work well enough, but I'm not up on the subject. Here's a really old thread to start you off:
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/how-to-build-your-own-models.20971/
There have been many updates since, but it will give you the general flow. There used to be a converter to change files to "KEX", but I believe that is no longer needed.
Do a search for Blender in the forums, along with related terms ("how to design", "make models", etc.) and you'll start to build a reading list for all sorts of discussions about the topic. There's even a very good, but unfinished, Blender tutorial hidden in the forums. Go way back through early posts, don't just confine yourself to recent versions. A lot of it hasn't changed dramatically over the years.

Here's more, to start you off, What is applicable and what is not is part of the learning journey.

https://forums.realflight.com/index...tion-please-do-not-post-in-this-thread.51295/
https://forums.realflight.com/index...for-true-to-life-performace-a-tutorial.17498/
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/quicker-and-easier-mapping-in-3ds-max.51495/
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/resource-library.50253/

There aren't as many active designers as there were in years past, but still a few. Post in the Design threads if you get stuck, and likely they will jump in with advice.

3DS Max was the old standby, when they offered a free Student version. But they have really tightened up who can get it, so unless you are enrolled in a participating school, that is out. Or pay big $$. Blender seems to be the alternative. There may be others that work well enough, but I'm not up on the subject. Here's a really old thread to start you off:
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/how-to-build-your-own-models.20971/
There have been many updates since, but it will give you the general flow. There used to be a converter to change files to "KEX", but I believe that is no longer needed.
Do a search for Blender in the forums, along with related terms ("how to design", "make models", etc.) and you'll start to build a reading list for all sorts of discussions about the topic. There's even a very good, but unfinished, Blender tutorial hidden in the forums. Go way back through early posts, don't just confine yourself to recent versions. A lot of it hasn't changed dramatically over the years.

Here's more, to start you off, What is applicable and what is not is part of the learning journey.

https://forums.realflight.com/index...tion-please-do-not-post-in-this-thread.51295/
https://forums.realflight.com/index...for-true-to-life-performace-a-tutorial.17498/
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/quicker-and-easier-mapping-in-3ds-max.51495/
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/resource-library.50253/

There aren't as many active designers as there were in years past, but still a few. Post in the Design threads if you get stuck, and likely they will jump in with advice.
I'm familiar with Blender, but it's a huge and rather complex general purpose 3D app, so would prefer to not go that route. I've found some less complex apps that are open source that look worth checking out.

Thanks for the tips!

With the right setup Blender can export FBX files that can be loaded directly in RF. You still need to set up the aircraft in RF; but that is true regardless of which software you use.

There is sample Blender plane in this thread - https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/update-the-box-plane-example.33629/#post-352101
The box plane Blender file in the thread needs some tweaking to work with the latest Blender version - let me know if you want the version I modified.
Make sure to install robertlongs FBX exporter into Blender (link in the thread above).

I am unfamiliar with it, but Wings3D that asj5547 referred to is also something to check out, although it may have some limitations.

Just make sure whatever software you are using; it has the option to export as FBX.
There are other software programs that will work, unfortunately I do not remember the names of them at the moment, will have to do some searching.

You guys are great! I will read and follow all the suggested links. Do any of you know if there are tutorials or at least, detailed thread discussions about what to do inside RF with the editor once one does successfully import an FBX file? That's just as important as being able to create the model and export to FBX, I'm guessing. Again, there is no info inside the rather sparse owner's manual for RF.

When you import the FBX file into RF the last question the importer asks is what aircraft you wish to use as the flight physics model, as you can see from the drop-down list (see pic) it includes most of the aircraft you use in RF, SO, you mentioned you have modified a model to the exact specs of your Volantex Saber 920, use that as the physics model, obviously the physics model should not be named the same as your 3D model, for instance, if you modified a Laser, then name/save that as something like Laser Saber 920.

Attachments

• Import.jpg
    Import.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 13
When you import the FBX file into RF the last question the importer asks is what aircraft you wish to use as the flight physics model, as you can see from the drop-down list (see pic) it includes most of the aircraft you use in RF, SO, you mentioned you have modified a model to the exact specs of your Volantex Saber 920, use that as the physics model, obviously the physics model should not be named the same as your 3D model, for instance, if you modified a Laser, then name/save that as something like Laser Saber 920.
Thanks. That helps. I'm sure it will become more clear once I try it and experiment with trial and error.

Hello everyone. I have had time to experiment more in the RF model editor. I've been able to change the physics and electronics of the stock E3D model to be much closer to my Volantex Saber 920 model. I've even figured out how to use my RadioMaster TX16S as the controller for this specific modified model so that it works exactly like the real Saber 920 model including all switches, mixes, and expo. I've also figured out how to "hack" the color scheme file of the E3D in Adobe Photoshop to be closer to the colors of my real Saber 920 (well sort of). I've changed the scale of the model to 63% of the original E3D which is about right based on my measurements, since the Saber 920 is a lot smaller than the E3D in RF.

The last thing I am stumped on is how to align the original E3D image to my modified physics model for my plane. As you will see in the attached screen captures, it's not aligned and I am assuming that is what is causing the odd nose-down attitude on the ground when I run the model, but I could be wrong.

I would greatly appreciate any tips or guidance. This is the last think I need to figure out for my new Saber 920 model, other than finding and using 3D modeling software to create a "real" version of my Saber 920. That I will tackle after I get the physics working right. I assume that's a much longer learning curve.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2022-12-31 15.12.38.jpg
    2022-12-31 15.12.38.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 2022-12-31 15.13.02.jpg
    2022-12-31 15.13.02.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 2022-12-31 15.13.37.jpg
    2022-12-31 15.13.37.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 9
Based on the first pic., the work you need to do can be done in the editor, just click on anything you want to change, (which you will see in the editor) i.e.: fuse location, then you can change the wing cord at the base and tip, then the wing length, then do the same to the Hstab and Vstab. You can make the the physics model match the graphic model almost exactly by moving and sizing any part/s you want.

Don't forget you'll need to change the weight of the parts to match the new size. You can move the battery back and forth and adjust the weight of each part to get the CG right. And like a real plane you can add a "mass" object and set the weight of it and put it where you want to tweak the CG too. The editor will do just about anything.

Oh, that's good to know about adding a "mass" object. I didn't know that. Yes, I've moved the battery around and tweaked the dimensions to be real close. Unfortunately, I didn't foresee creating this model before I put the real Saber 920 together, so I have no way of know what individual weights are (e.g., the fuselage). I'm just going to have to estimate on individual weights. Mostly I just want to make sure the total weight is close to the real model.

Last edited:
Oh, that's good to know about adding a "mass" object. I didn't know that. Yes, I've moved the battery around and tweaked the dimensions to be real close. Unfortunately, I didn't foresee creating this model before I put the real Saber 920 together, so I have no way of know what individual weights are (e.g., the fuselage). I'm just going to have to estimate on individual weights. Mostly I just want to make sure the total weight is close to the real model.
That's right just get the total weight correct and estimate the individual part weights.

I was able to make rough adjustments that shifted the physics wire model to overlap (mostly) with the graphical model. It's not perfect so I don't know how accurately it will fly compared to the real Saber 920 once I finish tweaking and re-measuring everything. The graphical model of the E3D I started with doesn't really match the dimensions and shape of the real Saber 920. For example, wings and hoizontal stabilizers are different shapes, the rudder is a different shape, the fuse is a different shape, etc. I haven't actually flown the real Saber 920 yet so won't really know for sure until I do. At least now the model doesn't do that weird nose tipping it was doing and it flies fairly well, even before I re-adjust everything, which is encouraging.

Back