Heli Hover Trim

Murray Mortlock

I fly both fixed wing and heli and I did not want to take out the detent bar on the throttle of my InterLink-X transmitter, but at the same time I wanted finer collective control on my helis. That meant, as noted elsewhere, that sometimes one click of throttle on a heli will provide more change than I might otherwise want.

For you pros this might not matter as much, but I am learning to fly the helis and sometimes I find that at one setting I am hovering in ground effect and one tick up on the throttle and I am several feet above my head... higher than I really want to be while learning to hover.

The trim on my throttle was doing nothing, so I created what I call a "Hover Trim" in the model editor. Here is how to do that if you decide you want to try it.

I found the collective control on Output Channel 6 on the helis I have been flying... they are probably all the same. Select output Channel 6 and then add a new Input ( Menu item: Component/Add/Simple Input Feed ).

Click on the new input at the bottom of the list under Output Channel 6. I only changed 2 items on the new input. First I selected Input Channel 9. You could use 10 or 6 if you prefer. I then changed the Percent value to 5. You may want the value of 5 to be a little higher or lower depending on the individual model you are flying. I found this perfect on the KDE 700.

After you save this you will be able to fine-tune the collective by a fractional amount of one click on the throttle stick using in my case the slider under my left index finger. Now I can adjust the height above ground in smaller increments while I learn to hover.

Fly Safe,

Murray

My normal recommendation to anyone in this situation would be to simply remove the ratchet behavior. I find that even though it feels very strange at first, after a minor adjustment period a smooth throttle gimbal is actually equally suitable for planes.

That said, I applaud your clever use of the software radio to solve the problem to your own satisfaction! :)

Back