Help me fix the throttle!

mutski

Can anyone tell me why the throttle quit working on my Sopwith Pup model?

I downloaded a model called the 1917 Sopwith Pup 50%, flew it, downloaded and deleted several variants, flew it again. Then I was editing the model in RF9 to see what channels worked the gun trigger. I don't know what I did, but when I was finished, the throttle wouldn't work. I open the aircraft, rudder, elevator, aileron and gun trigger controls work, but when I advance the throttle, the plane sits still on the runway with its prop idling. If I type K to kill the motor, the prop stops. If I use the space bar to reset, the propeller spins, but the throttle doesn't work.

I tried deleting the aircraft using the Manage User Files function, then imported the original file again. RF9 told me I already had it installed, but allowed me to overwrite the original. Still no throttle. I deleted it and checked the Documents>RealFlight9>Vehicles>CustomVehicles file. It was absent. I imported it again, tried the throttle, and no luck.

I went to edit the model. On the Electronics tab under Servos, Throttle shows as Receiver Channel 3, and the Current Output moves from -1.0 to +1.0 when I move the throttle stick. On the Radio tab, Output Channel 3 moves from -100.0 to +100.0. When I go to Select Controller>Edit, Channel 3 - Throttle moves from no bar to full bar when I move the throttle stick. It is set to Proportional and Y Axis.

All of those settings match those on a P51 model, which flies just fine. So what am I missing? I have attached the original rfx file and several screen shots. I am baffled.

Attachments

• 1917 Sopwith Pup 50_AV.rfx
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Electronics tab.JPG
    Electronics tab.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Radio tab.JPG
    Radio tab.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Select Controller.JPG
    Select Controller.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 4
I don't see a place to do that, but it shows that the Throttle Servo is the Throttle Servo.

Attachments

• Physics tab.JPG
    Physics tab.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 6
OK, on the Physics tab, it shows the Throttle Servo value = Throttle Servo. If I click the little blue arrow at right, that links to the Throttle Servo, whose input is Receiver Channel 3. When I move the throttle stick, that moves from -1.07 to +0.94. When I click the blue arrow at right there, it links to Output Channel 3, whose current value moves from -106.5 to +93.5 when I move the throttle stick. However,back on the Physics tab, the engine RPMs idle around 680-720 regardless of stick position. So maybe the throttle servo isn't connected to the engine. However, I don't see how to make the connection. How is this done?

Alternatively, I don't see why deleting the model doesn't delete whatever setting is wrong. When I delete it and try to import it again, RF9 says I already have it installed. I can overwrite the previous installation, but the throttle problem is preserved. It is frustrating, because this model worked when I first imported it.

Attachments

• throttle connection.JPG
    throttle connection.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Another oddity - I started RF9 with the Dx7 turned off, and the Sopwith Pup opened and taxied down the runway. I turned on the Dx7, and it stopped. Ack... transmitter setting?

I tried it in RF9, if throttle is moved idle to full throttle plane will not move, but if throttle is moved idle to 50 % and allow the plane to start moving then you can go to full throttle and plane fly's nice.

I tried it in RF9, if throttle is moved idle to full throttle plane will not move, but if throttle is moved idle to 50 % and allow the plane to start moving then you can go to full throttle and plane fly's nice.

Well, I'll be darned! Same result here. I guess that means I always start at full throttle? I had not realized that. Thanks SO much for sharing this!

Start at idle and apply gentle amount of throttle until the model moves, then the throttle responds normally in flight.
Sure is a nice model.

Start at idle and apply gentle amount of throttle until the model moves, then the throttle responds normally in flight.
Sure is a nice model.

Maybe it's programmed to flood the engine if you overdo it. It is fun to fly!

Back