Help! RealFlight Evolution Aircraft Design for newbs.

there is a single object limit 65,535 and the aircraft limit it 135,000 triangles. 3dsmax has all the capacities to make models for rf so you can skip blender.
Okay so I meet the aircraft limit cause I can import it but it won’t let me fly it because of the single object limit. What constitutes a single object? Is that where classification of parts comes into play? Or is it something else.

AHahaha.... I'm still struggling learning the blender UI. Just got back at it, trying to create a new plain vanilla plank, improved Mk II. This time trying to some new tools like the mirror modifier....

1713210143417.png

Still looks worse than a 5 year old's drawing but getting the hang of it. Now just have to join the halves and cut them up into components!

there is a single object limit 65,535 and the aircraft limit it 135,000 triangles. 3dsmax has all the capacities to make models for rf so you can skip blender.
That's good to know. Not that I am in any danger yet of remotely encountering this unless I generate too many vertices smoothing stuff out.

Just out of curiosity, how many polygons does a typical model of yours have @legoman ?

That's good to know. Not that I am in any danger yet of remotely encountering this unless I generate too many vertices smoothing stuff out.

Just out of curiosity, how many polygons does a typical model of yours have @legoman ?

depends on the age and what I want the plane to have as features. older models had a strict limit of 8k/10k, 20k, 27k, and finally 135k. and variang collison mesh qualities.

My B-52H has 130,765 with 42,984 being the bombs,
My A-1H has 90,395 with 37,174 for the ordinance on the loadouts.
The Mig-21 has 39,531.
The RLU-1 Breezy has 52,241 with the four banger being 16,658 of the 52k,
The 707 is currently 54,534,
the DC-3 has 23,180 (made under the 7.5 limit of 27k triangle)

that is what my first plane looked like and what I tell my "students" to make first. Make a set of boxes that is plane shaped.

Okay so I meet the aircraft limit cause I can import it but it won’t let me fly it because of the single object limit. What constitutes a single object? Is that where classification of parts comes into play? Or is it something else.

I am fairly certain one object would be FUSELAGE, ~CS_LMW, etc. (see below) now I am not sure if children that do not include the prefix "~CS_" count towards there own total or the parents total.

Also if you don't include a object with the prefix "~CS_COLL" RF will generate a one for the whole model and that will double your triangle count. you will likely need multiple Collision mesh for a model if you want a part to detach, break or interact with the ground or other airport items, it needs a collison mesh. the rudder pedals would not need a collison mesh as in 99.9% of cases they would be fully enclosed in a different object.

collison meshes should be a child of what they are representing the wings collison should be a child of the wing it represents.

2024-04-15 17_41_56-Window.png
the plane
2024-04-15 17_47_21-Window.png
the collison
2024-04-15 17_47_05-Window.png
both overlayed
2024-04-15 17_48_19-Window.png

Thanks for the info. Progress been a bit slow, mainly trying to learn Blender but have managed to mirror a plane-like shape, cut out some control surfaces. Just need to cut out the wings, stabs and name and check the pivots, hopefully this model will turn out better than the other one!

1713297624898.png

Edit: Just realised I have the plane back to front again... lol. I'll fix that tomorrow. Done for the night!

1713379884290.png
1713379583460.png

Looks like @ss but it flies. I supposed I achieved the 2 week target I set this time, but I remember I'd been meaning to try something like this ten years ago lol. Took the physics off the PT-40 airplane

1. Textures look horrid.

2. I think I messed up the SG and rudder pivots. I think I know why re: the rudder but not so sure about the SG.

Any ideas for any improvement?

Thanks against everyone!

Attachments

• Foamie_Mk2_EA.RFX
    670.8 KB · Views: 3
View attachment 139066
View attachment 139064

Looks like @ss but it flies. I supposed I achieved the 2 week target I set this time, but I remember I'd been meaning to try something like this ten years ago lol. Took the physics off the PT-40 airplane

1. Textures look horrid.

2. I think I messed up the SG and rudder pivots. I think I know why re: the rudder but not so sure about the SG.

Any ideas for any improvement?

Thanks against everyone!

2 .SG pivot is fine the servo was reversed. left was right and right was left. the red axis on the rudder should point UP

try adding this modifier before export.

2024-04-17 15_26_23-Window.png

2024-04-17 15_29_53-Window.png2024-04-17 15_25_59-Window.png
2024-04-17 15_24_08-Window.png

I will, thanks!

I should have thought of just reversing the servo, too, lol.

Will try those fixes and try and hack the front to add in an engine and spinner tomorrow.

Any ideas how to get a nicer cosmetic finish? I basically found just a foam material jpg off the web and converted it to a tga with gimp. On import, however, it looks weird and metallic and varies so much in brightness and shades of grey.

But that will have to wait for the morrow. Now is zzz time., good nite!

Back